[0.90WIP] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em 0.9.21, Dec 19

swamp_ig

Would you prefer decouplers to:  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer decouplers to:

• Closely as possible follow stock behaviour
    • Have a sensible relation between size, decoupler force, and mass

Are you using Realism Overhaul? If not, then your Proc Parts will assume you don't want realistic anything, and use normal tech progression.

This is not with RO. I had researched all the rocketry tree but still only had 3m max diameter (with RealFuels). Without RealFuels, the max diameter does go up when the 3.75m engines become available, but this is not in the tech progression for the RF tanks.

No, it's just an edited structural part, four of them, using part clipping. It does work with radial attachment. I made this part simply by using scale = 1,1,3. For this thing I chose smooth cone, top 0m.

Works flawlessly, even the colliders. I use ovals (actually they're ellipsoids) for almost everything, was bored with cylinders.

Another example:

SAo1NTb.png

Edited by Azimech

No, it's just an edited structural part, four of them, using part clipping. It does work with radial attachment. I made this part simply by using scale = 1,1,3. For this thing I chose smooth cone, top 0m.

Works flawlessly, even the colliders. I use ovals (actually they're ellipsoids) for almost everything, was bored with cylinders.

Another example:

http://i.imgur.com/SAo1NTb.png

I see. Cool stuff. But I had hoped it would be a custom shape you developed for PP. Would have been great for Procedural Airships.

• 2 weeks later...

What about a procedural compartment or shroud. I am building a gemini type craft and to have the tapered bottom section to hold avionics and monoprop and stuff I am using an empty proc fuel tank and just adding the part inside it with allow clipping on

Actual compartments / shrouds would be nice.

I use Procedural Fairings interstage fairings for that purpose:

• Place a girder beneath the capsule
  • Attach everything you need to the girder
  • Attach an interstage fairing to the bottom of the girder using the middle node (not the floating decoupler node or the bottom node)
  • Add structural or decoupling fairings

What about a procedural compartment or shroud. I am building a gemini type craft and to have the tapered bottom section to hold avionics and monoprop and stuff I am using an empty proc fuel tank and just adding the part inside it with allow clipping on

Actual compartments / shrouds would be nice.

There are cargo bays scattered about in places like Modular Storage, Modular Rocket Systems, and such. You can also use two procedural Fairing Base Rings from Proc. Fairings in opposite directions, though it can be a bit wobbly if you don't have struts on the outside.

EDIT: A pileup of ninjas, it seems.

This is a bit of a mis-application but I've found I love using procedural heat shields as end caps for fuel tanks, only with the ablative material removed. Unfortunately when the craft is loaded it always defaults to 100% full of ablative material even if it was saved as partial or empty.

I don't know if this is default PP behavior or perhaps some mix of mod interactions, but if at all possible it would be wonderful to have it retain the fill level of material when the craft is saved.

*Switch to PNG until Squad fixes the TGA loader bug. Note: nuke your old Proc Parts folder before installing this version!

*Improve cost support: Default to non-RF cost; allow tank content switcher to have cost

multipliers; use maxAmount not amount (oops).

*Thanks to @ItMustBeACamel for fixing some of my stupidity in the above!

*Tweak RO tech limits (with RP-0 in mind). All shapes allowed from start in RO, too.

*Start RealFuels SRB at techlevel 0.

I would like to suggest that 2 additional tank type options be added to the procedural life support container.For the lack of a better name, I'll call it the self contained procedural life support tank. This tank contains all 6 TAC life-support resources balanced so all resources last the same amount of time. This tank would be useful to cut part usage and to store waste products to later be converted or used with MKS. Here is my config for this, done with quick back of the envelope calculations so the values are close, but not perfect.

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = SelfContainedLifeSupport
// This is the dry mass of the tank per kL of volume.
dryDensity = 0.25
RESOURCE
{
name = Food
unitsPerKL = 353.965875
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
unitsPerKL = 233.965875
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
unitsPerKL = 35834.045475
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
unitsPerKL = 32.5818
forceEmpty = true
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
unitsPerKL = 301.6
forceEmpty = true
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
unitsPerKL = 31333.54544
forceEmpty = true
}
}

The other tank option I would like to see, is one that has adjusted values to take into account TAC Water Purifiers and Carbon Extractors. With a tank option set up like this, it would be MUCH easier to carry the proper amount of lifesupport supplies when using converters, without carrying any dead weight. I just recently did the math to come up with this module which should be balanced. I have yet to test it though. I believe that it is only off by a couple of percent.

TANK_TYPE_OPTION
{
name = LifeSupportAdjusted
// This is the dry mass of the tank per kL of volume.
dryDensity = 0.25
RESOURCE
{
name = Food
unitsPerKL = 887.8504
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
unitsPerKL = 58.6884
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
unitsPerKL = 11822.10842
}
}

If anyone knows how to figure out the exact numbers needed to balance these proposed modules perfectly I would appreciate the help

Edited by Rabada

Rabada, I've actually crunched the numbers myself for recyclers (modifying TaranisElsu's original calculations spreadsheet, available here: http://www./view/1dus1l4fzwe4qaa/Life_support_resource_amounts_with_Kerbas_ad_astra's_recycler_calculations.ods), and my answers are all within a few tenths of a percent of yours:

Food: 888.0569

Water: 58.6968

O2: 11774.62179

(I don't know how many sig-figs you want, so I used the same number as yours).

Rabada, I've actually crunched the numbers myself for recyclers (modifying TaranisElsu's original calculations spreadsheet, available here: http://www./view/1dus1l4fzwe4qaa/Life_support_resource_amounts_with_Kerbas_ad_astra's_recycler_calculations.ods), and my answers are all within a few tenths of a percent of yours:

Food: 888.0569

Water: 58.6968

O2: 11774.62179

(I don't know how many sig-figs you want, so I used the same number as yours).

Awesome! Thanks for the spreadsheet! It is much nicer than the one I made to get the numbers I got for the parts!

It's mostly TaranisElsu's spreadsheet; I just added the recycler bits (I was working out when it became more mass- or cost-effective to use recyclers instead of stacking on more pallets -- the answer is about six years). My calculations are basically starting at J240 and then to the right and down.

Sorry I didn't have a chance to look into this properly. If the both of you have come up with similar figures, then chances are high that they're both correct. Fastest way to get it into the game is to submit a pull request on the git.

I don't suppose we might get a tank for Karbonite now could we?

Sorry if this has been asked, Theres just alot of pages to go though. x.x

Also, This mod has literally made my game experiance 10 times better then before. Who needs nosecones when you can make fuelnosecones. :D

Afaik you can put Karbonite in Procedural Tanks, and it is working just fine as long as you have a mod that allows you to modify fuel tank contents (I am using RealFuels - yes, with Karbonite, lol).

Use either RealFuels or Modular Fuel tanks for this. It has the added benefit giving you the option of deleting pretty much all teh tanks you do not want and is very useful if you struggle with too many mods.