Shoved under the rug/cancelled content ?

Nemrav

dug these things from the internet, they were on chad (c7)'s channel

now on the other hand, chad, on one of hocgamings live streams (he was being interviewed) said that moving parts is kind-of a thing that they really never get around to...

http://www.twitch.tv/hocgaming/b/443077849?t=1h0m15s - yes I know its at a part about 64bit support, but I know it was in this stream....

so what i'm wondering is, what happened to the parts that chad made, i'm NOT suggesting they be inplemented, i'm genuinely curious as to what happened.. these are from a really long time ago, as they are from around 0.18 (judging by him also uploading videos about 0.18 around that time)...

Any thoughts ? :huh:

Well c7 didn't always work for squad. IN fact, the is the only reason that spaceplanes are in the game at all. These could be videos from before he was a dev, and was working on mods.

I know one cancelled feature.

Resources.

Wrong. Resources weren't cancelled, they were put off, shoved to the side, and the current model for implementation scrapped, because in testing, Harv and the other Devs said that the current model wasn't very fun.

Wrong. Resources weren't cancelled, they were put off, shoved to the side, and the current model for implementation scrapped, because in testing, Harv and the other Devs said that the current model wasn't very fun.

And that they have no plans to ever revisit the idea... = canceled.

to the OP yeah there was also some planets NovaSilisko (spelling?) was working on... revamping some of the current planets to have volcanoes...

I'd love to hear if their is any plans to revisit some of this stuff in the near or distant future. Basically a status update on where working on these things again might fall in the grand general plan. no specifics needed.

Edited by FITorion

And that they have no plans to ever revisit the idea... = canceled.

Umm, no they never said that. Not AFAIK anyway. Can you link me to this statement? Was it on a stream? I honestly have no reason to believe what a random user tells me unless they back it up with eveidence. No offence, but that's how it works. IIRC, they said that they had shelved the current model of resources over the course of a few Weekly Devnotes.

Umm, no they never said that. Not AFAIK anyway. Can you link me to this statement? Was it on a stream? I honestly have no reason to believe what a random user tells me unless they back it up with eveidence. No offence, but that's how it works. IIRC, they said that they had shelved the current model of resources over the course of a few Weekly Devnotes.

that was the initial statement that got everyone rilled up. And I had the same stance as you at that point. then they followed it with more statements that said what I've told you. I'm pretty sure I've linked the exact spot where the said it before. I'll look through my old posts and see if I can find it again.

edit.

re-reading my old posts. It's not that they have said they don't plan on working on it again... it's that they haven't said anywhere that they do plan on working on it again. If you can find anywhere after KerbalKON where they say that it's just on the back burner I would be over joyed... because at KerbalKON they said it was trashed and haven't said anything beyond that.

Here is the last official word on it I'm aware of.

http://www.twitch.tv/ksptv/b/487174346

Edited by FITorion

I don't think any idea can be called truly cancelled or abandoned in KSP. Multiplayer was "carved in stone" to not be implemented and voila - we're going to get it.

On the other hand I can imagine many things currently called "placeholders" to stay the way they are to the final release. Kerbals anatomy was a placeholder initially, too - and I doubt they're going to change much.

I don't think any idea can be called truly cancelled or abandoned in KSP. Multiplayer was "carved in stone" to not be implemented and voila - we're going to get it.

On the other hand I can imagine many things currently called "placeholders" to stay the way they are to the final release. Kerbals anatomy was a placeholder initially, too - and I doubt they're going to change much.

Not sure how I feel about multiplayer. I rather enjoy playing the game without it, not having to find a server with all of the plugins and mods that I run to make the game realistic or fun for me, and then contending with lag, disconnects and griefers. I would rather see the Squads resources put towards implementation of a decent aerodynamic model, just use Farrem4s, a good reentry model like DRE-C, ingame mapping system SCANsat is a good one, and signal delay options from Remote Tech 2. Working cargo bays for the stock models, procedural wings and fairings. And an ingame build information window, like KER or even MJ.

Well c7 didn't always work for squad. IN fact, the is the only reason that spaceplanes are in the game at all. These could be videos from before he was a dev, and was working on mods.
He was hired shortly after those videos were made, actually. Most likely those were parts for his mod pack that got scrapped due to not having time to work on it any longer.

Nope, they were planned / he had started working on them after he was hired. I can't find where he posted about it but he was hired in March, those videos are a month later: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/8941-Welcome-our-newest-Team-Member!?p=133847#post133847

I'm so glad resources were shelved that was THE RIGHT MOVE. There is no proper foundation for a resource system. It'd be no different then Kethane as is. It'd just be too grindy and as the devs said... Not fun. It's novelty would wear off after your first mission. Wait until career mode has advanced with objectives, budget and contracts before implementing resources.

Id rather see Squad shift their focus to optimizations and expandability in .25. Because this Nasa pack is going too add to KSP's memory foot print. Once .24 hits that's one less parts pack ill be able to use. So for the sake of this games future Squad is going to eventually be forced to optimize and dare I say it... Start bugging Unity for 64bit support.

well, I see that while I slept my topic which I deemed "will not attract visitors" to my self, has become the top of the list and a hot-2page topic...

Yes resources, I looked into just before finding this, here is the dev post I will quote, so we can move onto other vanished content http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61997-Article-KerbalKon-Announcements?p=844430#post844430

. here harvester says, that resources are in the game - liquid fuel, oxidizer etc. but mining, in the way that it was originally planned was shelved.

looking at c7's video playlist, it seems that he worked on the landing gear we do have first, then he started the other features such as his helicopter rotor (which it appears to be in 2 version, a non-textured fuselage rig and a more complete radial system that got textured and an animation).

I'm so glad resources were shelved that was THE RIGHT MOVE. There is no proper foundation for a resource system. It'd be no different then Kethane as is. It'd just be too grindy and as the devs said... Not fun.

Agreed, the last thing we need is another Kethane/ORS style resource system. Maybe something could be made from the asteroid system, something more active in gameplay than "wait for the tanks to fill".

It sounds like we'll get some sort of "robotics" in the next update, which will be nice.

Well, from what I imagine, mining would be a "drill into the ground and dig up SCIENCE", a few giant drilling rigs which allow you to drill into the ground (procedural underground, like mun craters), a big machine that converts (compression) intake air to oxidizer... maybe oil drill and liquid fuel rig, xenon could maybe be collected from the sun, etc. but I really didn't like some parts of kethane, never really got into it...

BUT ANYWAYS, lets get back ontrack from how we would like resources to what has been shelved/cancelled.. and why...

hopefully a mod/dev/admin can fill us in on these things, latertm.

oh yes, and before we start in on robotic parts being cancelled, I've heard the devs intend on doing it, but the bigger features always steal attention, they never really get around to it...

edit : the robotics part may not be right due to the grappling hook coming with the nasa pack/0.24 (who knows)..

Apparently there was going to be a whole subplot regarding the Duna SSTV signal and the monoliths and some planet on the edge of the Kerbol system. But that was Nova's idea, and with Nova not a dev anymore, it's unlikely that plan will be implemented.

can you give us a source ?

anyways, you've given me a break to ask this : what happened to Novasiliko being a dev, he's still making mods... why isn't he a dev anymore ?

oh yes speaking of him, there was a scrapped planet code named Harvest, it had an orbit nearly identical to Kerbin and was a test bed for planets, it was a giant asteroid... came across it here : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/202-Solar-system-early-development-pictures-from-after-0-15-2-to-just-before-0-17

in the same folder of images he says that originally duna had a different name and orbited jool (which had a different name and less good looks)

WE NEED MOAR THINGS TO TALKS ABOUT !

bump !

can anyone get in contact with a dev, maybe convince them to, in somebody's live stream q/a them on some of these things ?

assuming this happens, how about we compile some questions about the thing discussed on this thread ?

As far as I know, resource mining is being put off until scope complete (alpha), that is, when the core of the game (economy, science, etc.) are considered finished (the game has enough core content to be considered finished, this will happen before 1.0). Then they'll move onto feature complete (beta), which is adding stuff like:

*resource mining

*more accurate aerodynamics model

*interstellar travel

*telescopes

So version 1.0.0 may just well have everything we ever wanted in ksp, considering we're in version 0.23. Please people, have some patience: just because it has been shelved now doesn't mean we won't ever hear of it again. We may very well never see hints of resource mining until 0.37. Believe me, you'll start being a lot less pessimistic once you realize that we have nearly 77 versions to go till 1.0.0

So version 1.0.0 may just well have everything we ever wanted in ksp, considering we're in version 0.23. Please people, have some patience: just because it has been shelved now doesn't mean we won't ever hear of it again. We may very well never see hints of resource mining until 0.37. Believe me, you'll start being a lot less pessimistic once you realize that we have nearly 77 versions to go till 1.0.0

Just a side note, version numbers don't quite work like that. Generally, 0.x.x is any version before a completed build of a program, 1.x.x is the first finished product, 2.x.x would be the next major overhaul, etc. The second number is usually a development build, and it doesn't have to go to 100. It could go from 0.56.0 to 1.0.0, or it could go all the way to 0.374.0 before being released as 1.0.0, it's really just how many major updates they've had. And the last number is just bug fixes and minor tweaks within that build, which is why it usually doesn't go higher than x.x.3 or x.x.4.

At the rate they're releasing updates, hopefully they don't have 77 more to go until it's finished, I'd say that'd put the full game at about 3 years away :D. Personally I'm hoping that after they get multiplayer in they'll through a little bit of love to resources, being able to work together with other players to create large colonies and mining bases sounds like fun to me.

I'm also curious what happened to Nova, I know he was considered a developer on leave for a long time before he wasn't a developer anymore, and I think they said it was because he just didn't have the time for full development. I've heard he's doing some of the solar system mods, but I haven't really seen anything of him on the general forums in a long time.