3-Man Command Pod: Why?

I'm trying to figure out why you would need to use the 3-man command module (the Mk1-2).

Pluses: It carries 3 Kerbals.

Minuses: It weighs 4 tons.

I guess the first problem is I don't know why I would want to land 3 Kerbals on a planet or moon. If I was carrying the Mobile Processing Lab I would want two Kerbals for that, but it can launch with the Kerbals in it.

My second problem is, if I did want to do that, it would be more efficient to either use a Command Pod Mk1 and two Lander Cans (2 total tons) or a Mk1 and one Mk 2 Lander Can (3.3 total tons).

I realize this game is still in alpha, but I just can't envision why I would need to put something that huge and heavy on the top of my rocket.

I do, all the time, its less boring having 3 kerbals than 1, except when i'm doing an interplanetary mission, in which case ya a mk1 landercan..

I think it has a lot of space for stuff on it + asthetics + good iva + 1 part...

I think what Dirt_Merchant means in his own way is that the pod, like most other parts in KSP, may not be the best part for every use on paper but that's not really the point.

Many players will use parts in interesting ways to make cool craft, not because they are after efficiency or performance, an example would be the use of structural panels to cover parts of a rocket, there's no benefit aerodynamically and they just add extra mass, yet players still do it.

Similarly, the Mk1-2 may be used as a regular pod, or may be put to other uses as a player sees fit, even though other options might be "better".

So the answer to the question of "why" can best be described as "why not?", yes it is heavy, so factor that into your designs, and don't forget to have fun :)

Yeah, you can launch kerbals inside lab, but how about returning them back? Its harder to land both capsule and lab at the same time. So using 3 man pod makes sense there, even more if you have to deal with reentry heat using DR.

I guess the first problem is I don't know why I would want to land 3 Kerbals on a planet or moon.

Redundancy. They can be fragile creatures.

My second problem is, if I did want to do that, it would be more efficient to either use a Command Pod Mk1 and two Lander Cans (2 total tons) or a Mk1 and one Mk 2 Lander Can (3.3 total tons).

Which are much less durable, have less torque, less monoprop storage, and are a different form factor which may be an issue in mating them to a rocket.

Also, the mass you're carrying down and back doesn't matter so much on the smaller moons.

With everything in KSP it pays to look at every aspect of a part's performance and also its physical shape and attachment points.

Once your at the moon mass doesn't usually matter, I agree. It's getting off of Kerbin that is the biggest problem, and 4 tons right at the top is a huge amount for someone who worries about how much solar panels weigh.

I understand that aesthetics are important to some people, even I use nose cones sometimes when they do nothing useful. That's just a huge hit for something that has no apparent objective value.

But, I assume in a later version this will all make more sense. For example, I assume that at some point they are going to make atmospheric drag much more dangerous, so that heat shielding is necessary, and a pod like this will be a necessity to return more than one Kerbin from orbit. I doubt the lander cans will be able to do it.

Edited by RocketBlam

Good for rescues: reduce crew at launch to 1, launch, rescue, return with more than 1!

Before I unlocked it, I was forced to create a ship with three Mk I command pods and coordinate a simultaneous separation and chute deployment before splashdown. It worked and looked pretty, too.

Seriously? as of 0.23 it's perfect for science vessels:

A 3- kerbal team means:

• 2 Kerbals in the science lab
  • 1 Kerbal in piloting the vessel OR 1 Kerbal in a lander

And then its sturdy enough to get the whole crew home safely. The 2.5m end fits well with the science lab well.

It looks like this is was basically kiwiak's answer.

This is one of those times I'm shocked previous posters go to aesthetics before practicality.

I usually use the Mk1-2 Command Pod, because it feels the most reasonable command pod for most purposes. Lander cans are silly in atmosphere, the cupola module has very high drag, the Mk3 Cockpit is ugly and hard to use, and the rest are so small that they don't look good in most ships.

I think what Dirt_Merchant means in his own way is that the pod, like most other parts in KSP, may not be the best part for every use on paper but that's not really the point.

Many players will use parts in interesting ways to make cool craft, not because they are after efficiency or performance, an example would be the use of structural panels to cover parts of a rocket, there's no benefit aerodynamically and they just add extra mass, yet players still do it.

Similarly, the Mk1-2 may be used as a regular pod, or may be put to other uses as a player sees fit, even though other options might be "better".

So the answer to the question of "why" can best be described as "why not?", yes it is heavy, so factor that into your designs, and don't forget to have fun :)

You understand me completely.

Once your at the moon mass doesn't usually matter, I agree. It's getting off of Kerbin that is the biggest problem, and 4 tons right at the top is a huge amount for someone who worries about how much solar panels weigh.

-SNIP-

3-man capsule and service module with 2-man lander and rover. No problem at all. :D

VWVco3Z.png

I occasionally use the 3-seat can but only to send up empty as a crew recovery vehicle, and then mostly just for aesthetics. Otherwise, I find it pretty useless. 3 Kerbals on the surface can't get any more science than 1. And if I want to send Kerbals en masse, I use a Hitchhiker instead. That seats 4, can have a 2.5m instead of a 1.25m docking port on the nose, and the hatch is in a more convenient place. But I do use it occasionally.

What I never use at all is the Cupola. 1 set, weighs as much as a 3-seat can, and can't have any docking port on the nose. I've never felt that much need for aesthetics :)

Seriously? as of 0.23 it's perfect for science vessels:

A 3- kerbal team means:

• 2 Kerbals in the science lab
  • 1 Kerbal in piloting the vessel OR 1 Kerbal in a lander

I'm not sure I understand your response. It seems to support what I said. You can fly the 2 Kerbals in the science lab. If you fly the Mk1-2, you're just including two seats that are empty, either in the pod or the science lab.

• 1 Kerbal in the Command Pod Mk1, 2 in the Science Lab: Total Weight: 3.3 tons.
  • 3 Kerbals in the Command Pod Mk1-2, none in the Science Lab: Total Weight: 6.5 tons.

In fact even if you wanted to detach the Command Pod and re-enter without the Science Lab, it would still weigh more. Re-enter with Mk1 and Science Lab: 3.3 tons re-entry weight. Re-enter with Mk 1-2 and leave Science Lab behind: 4 tons re-entry weight.

Edited by RocketBlam

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.