Is "multiple claws on the same asteroid-ship couple" possible ?

Reading through this thread some hours ago made me think...

If Kasuha is correct, attaching more claws of a single ship to an asteroid will be trickier than I firstly thought. My initial idea, regarding the construction of a space station on the side of the space boulder, was to attach an "anchor" of triangular shape, using 3 Probobodyne HECS units connected by girders, and each HECS having a claw beneath it, all of the claws with their pivot in free mode. One claw would attach first, then the second one and then the third one, if you were able to attach more claws from the same ship at roughly the same time. It works with docking ports, but this could be different.

There's always the possibility that, once a claw attaches, the vessel can't attach more claws to the asteroid, in which case... Some solutions come to mind, like using claws attached to the ship only by docking ports, and let them attach to the asteroid by themselvesbefore re-attaching your ship to them. That's a possibility.

On a side note, while thinking about this the vision of connecting more tiny vessels with claws, thus creating a proper chain (if you free the pivots) came to mind. I'll have to try that as soon as we get this update :D

Or Kasusha is completely wrong (which happens more often than not).

I had the exact same idea of multiple claws to attach a docking station for big ships, so I really hope that it is. I would guess that it will be, I did see a video where someone had two ships clawed to an asteroid, so I think that's a good sign.

I guess the most important fact is that the answer to the topic question is:

Yes

Or Kasusha is completely wrong (which happens more often than not).

For a moment I thought you're talking about me.

For a moment I thought you're talking about me.

You once said (on another thread) that we had no idea how money will work, a month or two after the fact that it had been covered by several devnotes. It was also said that a ship with multiple claws could dock to an asteroid using all of them.

It was either on the Monday post about the pack or in the ARM megathread.

I am a human, I can be wrong and I have been wrong about many things. However I have been right about many things as well and I definitely don't think I am wrong "more often than not". Regardless whether it is just your opinion or a statement supported by statistical analysis of my posts, such accusation is just ad hominem attack which is not relevant to the topic and does not help the discussion. Especially if you can't even type my nickname right.

You once said (on another thread) that we had no idea how money will work

Yes and I insist. Maybe you could read more of that thread to understand why. Of course you're not forced to share my opinion on the matter but that does not make me wrong.

It was also said that a ship with multiple claws could dock to an asteroid using all of them

While I am definitely trying to keep myself up to date about anything that's been published about ARM, there's no chance I could see or read everything. While I am aware of some similar statements, they IMO were never meant as "attaching multiple claws of a single ship all at once to single object", rather using claws of multiple ships to single asteroid, or using multiple claws of single ship to multiple different objects. If you have a reference to any more specific statement from someone who has personal experience with the ARM patch and has actually tried to attach one shipt to single asteroid using multiple claws, please provide a link and I'll be happy to accept that as a fact.

Apart of that, everything I wrote about it in this thread was clearly marked as "guess" and I don't claim my guesses are always right.

Edited by Kasuha

So here's one to try, perhaps after getting that 'roid into an orbit:

Vehicle made out of multiple clawed-together sections. Clamp one end to the asteroid. Now use rotations to move the backside of the vehicle around to contact the asteroid. Grab, release the front claw. Rotate again, grab with the front claw, release the back claw. Now wash, rinse and repeat.

You now have a space-caterpillar inchworming its way around an asteroid, and no fuel required to do so. Possibly even useful as a method of locomotion on Gilly, where rover wheels are only slightly less than useless.

You now have a space-caterpillar inchworming its way around an asteroid, and no fuel required to do so. Possibly even useful as a method of locomotion on Gilly, where rover wheels are only slightly less than useless.

It's not clear that the claw will be able to attach to celestial bodies that are always on rails, so I'm not sure the inchworm will work on Gilly. Interesting idea if it works, though.

Possibly even useful as a method of locomotion on Gilly, where rover wheels are only slightly less than useless.

I am pretty sure you won't be able to attach Claw to Gilly. It counts as a planet, while asteroids are kind of rocket parts.

I am pretty sure you won't be able to attach Claw to Gilly. It counts as a planet, while asteroids are kind of rocket parts.

Has it been stated anywhere that claws cannot attach to planets? It could simply work as an anchor, it wouldn't have to actually dock the planet with the vehicle.

I have tested multiple grapples against the vessel, or even to a single object. They should work, just as docking nodes do. If they come in contact with a part that is on the same vessel, they create a joint in a way similar to struts, they link the objects physically, without modifying the already existing hierarchy.

As for grabbing the ground, that is the one thing the grabbers can't grab. It would require a completely different set of states and rules for that to happen... One thing at a time.

Cheers

As for grabbing the ground, that is the one thing the grabbers can't grab. It would require a completely different set of states and rules for that to happen... One thing at a time.

Oh don't worry too much about it, I don't think we need that much funcionality from something that is supposed to only grab asteroids. I mean, if someone wants to build a base on a planet's surface, we can lay it down or use landng legs if needed. The base doesn't fall over unless it's on a slope (player's fault for not choosing a more appropriate place) or if you bump it with a rover or something (again, player's fault).

The only reason I'd use a claw to attach something to the ground would be... probably building something on the side of a mountain. And that already sounds pointless, though a bit cool, too.

To keep it short, it's something we don't really need, don't worry about it :) grabbing asteroids is really more than enough, can't wait to see the update released ^_^

You know your post is awesome when HarvesteR posts on it :D

What I find amusing is he only has four pips of "reputation" next to his username.

I mean really. He only wrote the game. It's not like he did anything important.

In other news, Linus Torvalds asked "who the hell are you", by Linux kernel development team. Rumours are the response was in Finnish, and quite profane. It featured the word "perkele" a lot.

So, I've tested the apparatus, and it is a case of good news/bad news.

Good news is, we can grab the asteroid with the second (and third in my test) claw. Using the free pivot action allows you to rotate a bit and create a new contact with the remaining claws.

But ...

Bad news is, even if the three claws are attached to the asteroid, only the first one is 'solid'.

The two other ones are listed as attached (associated action is "detach" and not "disarm"), but are not really attached. They wobble in and out of the asteroid a lot.

They want to be, but they are not,not really. But they try, a bit.

This kind of make them useless as a secondary attach point (at least outside of cosmetic value).

Still, the first pivot is so strong that it is not an huge problem.

What if you use docking ports and clever maneuvering to attach multiple claws to the asteroid, detaching from each one as you do so they are all "really attached," and then come back after you've got all the claw attached and dock to each claw with a docking port? It doesn't sound easy (Infernal Robotics would help) but what would happen if you did?

• 3 weeks later...

I just tried to attach a RCS unit with it's own klaw and it would not grab. Not sure if it would grab if I disarmed the primary connection or not. It was not attached to the primary ship but was detached via docking port to be it's own ship. Is there a minimum mass needed to get the klaw to grab?

I just tried to attach a RCS unit with it's own klaw and it would not grab. Not sure if it would grab if I disarmed the primary connection or not. It was not attached to the primary ship but was detached via docking port to be it's own ship. Is there a minimum mass needed to get the klaw to grab?

No, it should have grabbed on. I suspect you were coming in at a bit of an angle relative to the surface of the asteroid. I've found that they tend to like to only grab on if they're coming on to that surface straight.

• 7 months later...