Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

Hi all. I've been using this mod in pre 1.0.x and just loved it. Now feel free to call be a blasphemer but what do you use it for now that we got service bays? I run a heavily moded game and i just don't see the purpose of US and its RAM usage against stock service bays (except for the coolnes factor). Please enlighten me.

I really don't care about RAM usage (lemme see, VmRSS: 4561784kB :P) & the parts look awesome :D

A bunch of KAS swappable storage modules? hell yes. Also more compact, better looking science experiments. Beats a bunch of random junk in a service bay any day.

My landers would be 200% more hideous without it.

The real question is: Why wouldn't you install this mod?

Edited by steve_v

Excellent! I did not realise USI-LS had gained such widespread support. Maybe, just maybe, time to have a play without TAC-LS for a change :)

@Mighty1: There is a stable 64bit build you know, just not for your OS of choice. But I must resist shameless plugs for FOSS... and derailing threads. ;)

Hi all. I've been using this mod in pre 1.0.x and just loved it. Now feel free to call be a blasphemer but what do you use it for now that we got service bays? I run a heavily moded game and i just don't see the purpose of US and its RAM usage against stock service bays (except for the coolnes factor). Please enlighten me.

I personally find those stock bays a little uninspired, and awkward to use without a defined center to attach things to. Our new concept for US2 is going to do away with the structure on the wedges, and offload it to a new "base\cover" part that extends a protective structure down over the bare wedges based on how long your stacks are. These will have doors, proper heatsheilding protection, and will (as a bonus woo) be customisable in texture and mesh with a single click, without clicking through every single wedge. I'm planning to have a ISS-esque white-padded fabric version, a solid grey plated version, and a white and black striped version.

So in essence, they'll be service bays that are fully interchangable with other mods, extendable, have top and bottom covers, have multiple variants for different types of spacecraft, are not scalloped, act as proper heatshields, and have proper circular profiles with a collision mesh you can properly radially attach things too. Sit tight :)

That, and they'll work nicely alongside the new concept of single part expandable wedges (one wedge that can be right clicked and expanded lengthways up to three or four times, increasing capacity and saving part count for larger missions).

Our new concept for US2 is going to do away with the structure on the wedges, and offload it to a new "base\cover" part that extends a protective structure down over the bare wedges based on how long your stacks are. These will have doors, proper heatsheilding protection, and will (as a bonus woo) be customisable in texture and mesh with a single click, without clicking through every single wedge.

Oooo sounds interesting. Do you have a dev page for the models yet? Also, why do you feel a US2 is necessary? I understand the direction you want to take visually, but I like US plenty enough:wink: Just curious!

Love this mod!

I just realized that if the core is not used as the root part, it hides the radial attachment nodes so that I can only get the wedges to attach to the smallest quad core wedge, the others do not seem to reach the connection point on the core, what am I doing wrong?

Is there anyway to get it to hide modules for TAC-LS when you are not using that mod?

Edited by Smurfalot

@Daishi: That, sir, is just beautiful. I can't wait for the day when UT2 is finished. I find the stock service bays just too boring. A single tube with doors. UT is so much more pleasing to the eyes.

hey guys, got ksp alt-tabbed, ran into an issue with the DMagic science wedges not being able to attach to the octocore through KIS - checked all the cores config and it doesnt accept those parts - not sure if this is planned or overlooked - checked back to page 145 didnt see a mention of it and there doesnt appear to be any repo links to check listed issues - (i'm going to update my configs now) just wanted to bring it up - great mod guys!

configs updated - heres the snippet if you'd like

allowedPartName= dmUSAsert
allowedPartName= dmUSGoo
allowedPartName= dmUSMat
allowedPartName= dmUSGoreSat
allowedPartName= dmUSImagingPlatform
allowedPartName= USRPWS
allowedPartName= dmUSMagBoom
allowedPartName= dmUSScope
allowedPartName= dmUSSoilMoisture
allowedPartName= dmUSSolarParticles
allowedPartName= dmUSPresTemp
allowedPartName= dmUSAccGrav
allowedPartName= dmUSAtmosSense

Edited by skbernard
configs done

Love this mod!

I just realized that if the core is not used as the root part, it hides the radial attachment nodes so that I can only get the wedges to attach to the smallest quad core wedge, the others do not seem to reach the connection point on the core, what am I doing wrong?

Is there anyway to get it to hide modules for TAC-LS when you are not using that mod?

Not sure what would be going on - that's not normal. Paul did do something with the nodes when KSP 1.0 was released, as the stock game tightened the attachment rules. Have you got the most recent US update?

@Daishi: That, sir, is just beautiful. I can't wait for the day when UT2 is finished. I find the stock service bays just too boring. A single tube with doors. UT is so much more pleasing to the eyes.

Thanks!

hey guys, got ksp alt-tabbed, ran into an issue with the DMagic science wedges not being able to attach to the octocore through KIS - checked all the cores config and it doesnt accept those parts - not sure if this is planned or overlooked - checked back to page 145 didnt see a mention of it and there doesnt appear to be any repo links to check listed issues - (i'm going to update my configs now) just wanted to bring it up - great mod guys!

allowedPartName= dmUSGoo
allowedPartName= dmUSMat
allowedPartName= USRPWS

Hmm, good spotting. Might be something Paul has to patch.

That sounds amazing. Would that be save breaking or would you guys include the old stuff in the background?

We're planning on rolling it out as a second standalone mod to avoid breaking things (as it will require the Firespitter animation plugin and a ton of changes to the parts we already have), but US2 will take first priority. Due to Squad's plans to shift to Unity 5 later on in the year, most mod workflows are going to break so adding new content to US1 is going to be more trouble than its worth. It'll pretty much be EOL'd, and development will likely stop in favor of the new.

Oooo sounds interesting. Do you have a dev page for the models yet? Also, why do you feel a US2 is necessary? I understand the direction you want to take visually, but I like US plenty enough:wink: Just curious!

Seeing as Universal Storage was my first mod, I've learned a ton since starting and think there are better ways to push the concept than what we're doing now.

* Partcount was always an issue, so the expandable wedges should help negate that if you need more resource capacity.

* Texture footprints and memory use is always a concern, so US2 removing 3\4 of its texture maps (the wedge structure that is identical for each part) will shrink the memory use down significantly. Or we could just use the extra space for more detail.

* With the standalone shroud cover thing, customization is easy. I only need to modify one part if i want to add a new variant, and you guys only need to click once to customize instead of clicking through each wedge one by one. Having it as a single tube means the aero will work far better, heatshielding works, and you can radially attach and build inline.

* Having doors on the shroud - instead of every wedge - ensures that the core mod will keep working if our animation plugin breaks. Universal Storage 1 is currently running on an old, abandoned animation plugin with modules in every part, and that doesn't sit well with me.

* I am a little better with texturing now, and some US parts are well due to be remade. US2 is a nice excuse to do it.

* Not to mention the changes Paul would probably like to make to the backend stuff if we were to start from scratch :)

The dev thread is in my signature. Haven't posted much to it lately, but i'll be starting to soon.

Love this mod!

Sounds like somethings gone wrong when you've installed or uninstalled some mods. Universal Storage only loads the modules when it detects a compatible mod. If you've uninstalled TAC LS completely then it won't load those modules.

For the other problem, I can't recreate that. I hardly ever use the core as the root part and have no trouble attaching wedges. I think you need to have a look at your KSP installation, some problems there.

If you mean USI life support, the current version of Universal Storage supports it. You'll find the Universal Storage: Supply bag under the Utilities tab.

I can't seem to find this, either in the VAB or in the UniversalStorage/Parts directory. I even checked a fresh download of 1.1.0.3, but no dice. What am I missing?

So, any chance of getting USI LS integration before US1 is set aside? This is the only thing holding me back from using US right now.

You should check the change log, USI LS integration has been available for almost 3 weeks ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I can't seem to find this, either in the VAB or in the UniversalStorage/Parts directory. I even checked a fresh download of 1.1.0.3, but no dice. What am I missing?

Make sure you have the latest version of USI Life Support as Roverdude changed the name of the .dll which US uses to detect the mod is installed.

Oh and you won't find a part for it as it uses the Food part with modulemanager code to change for USI:

//USI Life Support!
@PART[US_1R320_Wedge_Food]:NEEDS[USILifeSupport]
{
@description = Storage bags packed to the brim with Nutritional Organic Meal Substitutes (N.O.M.S.). Excess consumption may cause bloating.
@title = Universal Storage: Supply bag
!RESOURCE[Food]{}
RESOURCE
{
name = Supplies
amount = 120
maxAmount = 120
}
}

2015-05-25%20US%20USI%20LS.png?psid=1

allowedPartName= dmUSGoo
allowedPartName= dmUSMat
allowedPartName= USRPWS

Where do I make those changes?

Not sure what would be going on - that's not normal. Paul did do something with the nodes when KSP 1.0 was released, as the stock game tightened the attachment rules. Have you got the most recent US update?

Hmm, good spotting. Might be something Paul has to patch.

Sounds like somethings gone wrong when you've installed or uninstalled some mods. Universal Storage only loads the modules when it detects a compatible mod. If you've uninstalled TAC LS completely then it won't load those modules.

For the other problem, I can't recreate that. I hardly ever use the core as the root part and have no trouble attaching wedges. I think you need to have a look at your KSP installation, some problems there.

Actually I think I am having the same problem that skbernard was talking about, it only seemed to effect the octocore when using the DMagic wedges. The only difference is I was trying to use them in the VAB.

Edited by Smurfalot

hey smurf - open up the configs for the cores you want to work with DMagic - scroll down and you'll find a section that lists all the allowable parts for each slot on the core (quad core has 4, hex 6, oct 8) copy my chunk of code into the end of each section for each slot

sorry i can't give more specifics i'm stuck at work unable to supply my kerbals!

well this isnt needed anymore! (see below)

Edited by skbernard
not needed!

1.1.0.4 released

Small bug fixes and community tech tree support. Plus new Radial parts!

• Updated bulkhead types
  • Fixed Science wedge tech level. It should now work correctly
  • New food and water radial tanks, plus updated model for the Oxygen tank. Food tank is life support mod dependent.
  • Community Tech Tree support thanks to GrimerX
  • You can now attach Dmagic orbital science wedges using KIS (thanks skbernard)
  • Updated Module Manager and Community Resource Pack versions

Download from Kerbal Stuff

Or ksp.kingtiger.co.uk

Thanks for the fixes!

One thing: The EVA-X still doesn't have an entry for USI LifeSupport... although it doesn't really need one if using the default USILS extinction settings. Just thought I'd point it out, since the new radial food container has one.

Thanks for the fixes!

One thing: The EVA-X still doesn't have an entry for USI LifeSupport... although it doesn't really need one if using the default USILS extinction settings. Just thought I'd point it out, since the new radial food container has one.

Kerbals don't carry supplies when on EVA, so the usual double the standard load doesn't work here. That's not really a problem though, unless you're going on a EVA for longer than 15 days, which seems a bit.....long?

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

It's not a concern for kerbals on EVA at all, as to quote the USI-LS thread:

While on EVA, they will not quit. But if they are brought back aboard a ship and have been starved (and can't find a hot meal waiting) they will promptly go in strike, and begin their self imposed vacation immediately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.