[Showcase] VTOL Emporium

I originally designed this Kethane drone explicitly to operate in low gravity environments, but have always envisioned as an SSTO capable craft. I have completed first step in converting it into an SSTO giving it VTOL capability. A short flight demonstration is included.

For obvious reasons, I couldn't extend the solar wings during flight to give the full "insect" effect.

Edited by huggy

The Hustler mk4 (yes it got hustled 3 previous times)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Official Name: LOB-4v Hustler mk4

Capabilities: Light bombing, supersonic flight, recon, provocation

Range: continental

Mods used: p-wings, infernal robotics, stretchy tanks, mechjeb, B9 gear

Special Characteristics: bi-fixed VTOLs for superior take off speed and maneuverability, rear turbojet for quick forward penetration and evacuation has escape system, probe core in aft to land plane you ejected from

Like most of my craft, this has the ability to stay flying even after significant damage (can lose 2 of 3 engines and remain in flight).

Also is probably my most fun to fly VTOl yet, it's VERY maneuverable.

Edited by horndgmium

You guys have some incredible videos. I'm always amazed at the precision with which you guys can land. I fly with a Warthog joystick and chase view, and maybe the super heavy spring and locked camera is making it harder than it should be. If there was a camera mod to chase the plane, but not tilt up or down with the pitch of the craft, I'd be set!

Howdy folks! Just got back from 11 days of 12 hour nightshifts and made a beeline straight for KSP. :D I love the designs on this thread and have always wanted to make a proper vtol so after some forum-searching and CoL-CoM-CoT fiddling I came up with this little thing. I dubbed her Hummingbird for obvious reasons. She's pretty well balanced for a 2-engine design imho, but lacking a little in pitch authority. I had to make do with swept-wings until I make my way through the tech tree.

Laughing Man, if you slide those elevators back, and make them a bit more parallel to your wings, you'll improve the pitch authority a good deal. Also, you may not need to stack all those wings. KSP likes to make ships go crazy when you have a lot of lift concentrated in a small area. In any case, nice ship! :)

I'm going to shamelessly copy this post in this thread, since it certainly fits!

First off, there are no engines producing any thrust! All of the lift is generated by the airfoils spinning at a sufficient speed and AoA through the air. I was absolutely amazed to see KSP work like this. Each rotor spins in opposite directions, and each blade can be rotated to change the pitch, giving me exactly the lift I need, when I want. I used RCS air jets to help maneuver, as well as two B9 reaction wheel elements. It's a bit sluggish, and a bit of a bear to fly precisely, but Old Betsy gives a good account of herself. :)

I know others have made ships like this before, so here is my humble attempt. Sorry the video is rather silent. It's just the IR parts spinning quietly, and RTGs to keep the juice flowing for the SAS.

screenshot856.png?psid=1

screenshot858.png?psid=1

That's awesome Voculus!! I'm going to go back to my .23 save and continue working on my vtol with the folding wings since IR works there. I had a stroke of genius thought the other night falling asleep where I can use quantum struts to keep the wings rigid while they are deployed so I've solved that issue! In the meantime I developed another SSTO/VTOL that fits in a cargo but it's on my desktop..I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow when I get a chance.

Quick question though: When messing around with the air thrusters I always seem to run out of b9 air and I don't know how to replenish the air to my thrusters. I've never used them before so I'm quite confused..

I'm not sure what the issue is with the intake air, unless you have so many going at once, that it depletes the supply faster than it can be replenished. My ship only had a single radial intake, and I had no issues. I've be playing around with a single-mast, counter-rotating, dual-rotor design. (That's a lot of typing!) But it usually ends up being silly-looking, because it's so tall. I may have to play around with P-wings some more.

Can't wait to see your next craft. I need some inspiration. And by inspiration, I mean I want to steal it! :sticktongue:

Well even when I have them off they won't recharge. Maybe it's a bug with b9 or something. I have intakes, a couple actually, but they never replenish. Yes you should!! As long as you don't mind mods pWings is the greatest thing since christmas for planes.

Hehe well here you go. I love to steal inspiration from people too :) It's still in testing and I've nicknamed it the arrow for obvious reasons..it usually has about 750 - 800 dv once in orbit. It gets there FAST too.

Edit: I forgot to show the first section behind the cockpit is a 2m cargobay with a standard docking port inside

Edited by How2FoldSoup

Thanks! That one was one of my favorites too :) After getting some ideas from the arrow I resolved to redesign the Turtle...it's still in design phases(I was actually just working on it) but I think I'm going to like the way turns out. I'm banking on the less is more idea for spaceplanes and it should be at least 5 tons lighter than the previous version and hopefully more maunverable. I almost redesigned based off of the arrow but the tail adapters are just too long for mk2 parts :( If the TurtleMk2 doesn't work out then I'll probably have to resort to using it. The Qstruts worked beautifully for the robotic wings though which is why I'm redesigning a hopefully better craft now that I can have rigidity. I could possibly have experimental shots soon and I'll post them to show some progress and where I'm taking it. Assuming I don't go back to finishing my homework heh

not much of a difference really but everything is easier to get to and it's a lot more maneuverable.

Edited by How2FoldSoup

• 1 month later...

superrover_zps76768654.jpg

I launched it on a parabolic trajectory over to the (spoiler alert) -> island with the abandoned airfield

Then I did a retro burn (no chutes) and a landing in hover mode.

After that, I ATV'd it all the way to the top of the mountain without using the jets.

/ flying cars, yo! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.