[Showcase] VTOL Emporium

This my CV-13 used by the Kerbin military for transport, and by KSP for Kerbalnaut recovery. Thanks to TouhouTorpedo for the Pitch Vector 3 and Mk3 Crew Cabin mods; and Nazari for the Mk3 Refit Project nose cone. Now if only I could find a tail ramp for the Mk3 fuselage system...

CV-13AFirstFlight003_zpsc7789a1e.png

CV-13AFirstFlight005_zps39ee2784.png

CV-13AFirstFlight006_zpsaf83efad.png

Edited by Raptor9

After realising horizontal landings on Laythe was not the same as landing on Kerbin, I decided to tweak the SSTO with 3 vertical engines.

Here's a picture of Bill living life on the edge.

1FB87EEC7631049AEACF6C064B3C75C92B966210

• 1 month later...

This thread needs a revival! I built a couple of VTOLS for a big Kerbin-based Kethane mining op, before the last patch broke the converters. :( At any rate, I wanted ships that didn't haul a little fuel, but tons and tons of it! I've been using the two mods linked in my sig with these, and they're a blast. The Kethane Kopter uses two heavy rotors from the B9 expansion pack, and the Fuel Hauler uses Gladius VTOL engines, which seriously rock.

screenshot385.png?psid=1

screenshot382.png?psid=1

screenshot381.png?psid=1

screenshot379.png?psid=1

screenshot380.png?psid=1

Thank you! I'm equally impressed with those behemoths you have carting fuel around! I seem to have more trouble with stability and maneuverability the larger I build. And those things are bigger (and probably waaay heavier) than any VTOL I've built. Kudos!

• 5 months later...

Ah, Mr. Cupcake is here!

This was my first testflight with a cupcake-styled VTOL. Maneuvering has improved a lot now, KSC is a really nice testing ground.

Edit: Cupcake, I have a question. Do you use any mod's for camera control? I have Improved Chase Cam installed, but I would REALLY like a camera angel that was basically "Free view", but always points towards your "Control from here" parts orientation. I find it hard to control my camera with the hat switch in an effective manner.

Edited by andruszkow

Even though I made this a while back, I still love it.

Presenting...

The Thromgord Mk2!

It has twelve missiles! It has a low-profile, low-part-count design! It flies quite nicely! It has a parachute system for if you've lost control! I made an SSTO version of it! It's Cupcake-approved! Most importantly, it's named after a non-existent, mead-loving Viking Warlord!

Here's a video. :wink:

Great craft guys! :D Out of all the designs I've made I feel these ones are perhaps my better efforts. ;)

Cupcake...

I think Antaeus Rising was one of the most scenically brilliant videos you have Cupcake. I can't get over the epic scene after you "scuttle" the special ship where you scream down the side of the mountain. Gorgeous view as you pass over the edge :).

Ah, Mr. Cupcake is here!

This was my first testflight with a cupcake-styled VTOL. Maneuvering has improved a lot now, KSC is a really nice testing ground.

Edit: Cupcake, I have a question. Do you use any mod's for camera control? I have Improved Chase Cam installed, but I would REALLY like a camera angel that was basically "Free view", but always points towards your "Control from here" parts orientation. I find it hard to control my camera with the hat switch in an effective manner.

Nice flying, and great design too! The SAS was hardly working at all so you must have balanced that craft to perfection, well done. :cool: Anyway, in awnswer to your question I don't use any camera mods (except for cut scenes, cinematic shots etc...). I did try the improved chase camera mod but it just doesn't well for dropships at all. It takes a bit of practice but you kind of get used to just using the joystick hat after a while. Sorry I couldn't be more help... :(

Even though I made this a while back, I still love it.

Presenting...

The Thromgord Mk2!

It has twelve missiles! It has a low-profile, low-part-count design! It flies quite nicely! It has a parachute system for if you've lost control! I made an SSTO version of it! It's Cupcake-approved! Most importantly, it's named after a non-existent, mead-loving Viking Warlord!

Here's a video. :wink:

http://youtu.be/l62u2oz0Bks

THROMGORD!! :0.0:

I think Antaeus Rising was one of the most scenically brilliant videos you have Cupcake. I can't get over the epic scene after you "scuttle" the special ship where you scream down the side of the mountain. Gorgeous view as you pass over the edge :).

Thanks man! :D The docking cam mods working again in .90 so I should try and do more combat stuff really. :P

Cupcake...

Edited by Cupcake...

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.