Pet peeves

SpacedCowboy

That wouldn't work in my peeve's case.

I'm orbiting the Mun. I want to focus on the Mun. I doubleclick the Mun. Suddenly, the screen goes black and when the game comes back on, I'm controlling a flag on the surface. Tell me this hasn't happened to you? In that case, hitting backspace would refocus me on the flag. Finding my old ship in map mode and doing the left-right-left-right-left-right clicks, though? That for some reason works.

I've never seen this.

I have problems with landing gear - it's been annoying for me on more than one occasion.

Backspace. Press it once, it refocuses the current ship while in map mode. Don't use in flight mode, unless things have already gone south (it triggers an abort there :)).

I'm officially in love with you. Plz have my green squishy babies!

I think the landing gear issue is that they are triggered as if they are already extended, so they retract on the first keystroke of g, and then the second one re-extends them. I noticed this when I was launching Mun bas modules and they had gear down on Kerbin launch. Got into Munar orbit, hit g, the gear on the modules retracted, and then all of the gear extended on the second g keystroke.

1. the fact that your Kerbal has to literally smush his face into the science jr and goo to get the right-click menu to take the science out (small science is bad but not that bad)

2. forgetting an antenna

3. probe cores being accidentally upside down

4. ladders not working even though they worked fine on Kerbin, because the gravity is different (looking at you, Eve and Tylo)

That weird 5-10 second delay after switching the camera view while the camera giggles back and forth to "lock" in place. Inevitably I need to rotate the view while it's doing that and have to wait for it to make up its mind.

it works out center of mass and relocates the camera to this point, it goes slowly as it's mainly used for changing camera when fuel is draining etc, so it always focuses to the most important stage.

Rovers peeves

1) Wheels, Zero grip to infinite in 5 degree turn or less

2) 1/2 meters parts (or lack of them). The wheels are sized to tiny parts that are few a far between in the catalog.

3) Mission progression limited to: Launch the rover, land the rover, drive a little, hit a hill, blow up, go back to KSP and launch... repeat till eyes bleed.

I use Kethane and KAS a lot for base building. It means ineedto transport goods and Kerbals, and every time I end up doing jetpack returns and terminating the remains of the rovers from KSP Kontrol.

Alacrity

I'm assuming the game will be balanced eventually, but knowing that I can complete the tech tree without ever leaving the Kerbin system..... Kinda put the kibosh on my motivation. No real challenge unless I force it. Which is not something that motivates me. I need forced difficulty. Personal preference, of course. Perhaps some difficulty settings geared towards science earned would help. They're coming out with an economy soon, that hopefully will help.

Another pet peeve would have to be selecting small parts during assembly. I cannot remember the number of times I've tried to move a strut only to grab an entire stage. Ctrl + Z corrects the issue, but it's unsettling. I always feel the need to reset my fuel lines and make sure all the struts are in place. I always find a set or two of struts that have been disconnected.

Another would have to be when I place parts aside to do a little remodeling. If the removed parts are small enough then trying to pick them up (or even seeing them) in order to replace them is a hassle.

Another pet peeve would have to be selecting small parts during assembly. I cannot remember the number of times I've tried to move a strut only to grab an entire stage. Ctrl + Z corrects the issue, but it's unsettling. I always feel the need to reset my fuel lines and make sure all the struts are in place. I always find a set or two of struts that have been disconnected.

I *HATE* that. I'm usually pretty good about waiting for the highlight to show on the item I really want, but still make mistakes. But what gets infuriating, is when I had the mouse lined up right, but the game has those micro-freezes (doing memory garbage collection or something, every few seconds), while working on a large ship... so I clicked in the right place, but by the time the game registers it, the mouse has moved, so it grabs the wrong thing. And then, Ctrl-Z takes forever, again because it's a large ship. :)

When I've selected bi-lateral symmetry, and my mouse moves over a part with 4-way symmetry, and now it changes to 4-way.
Oh yes, I'd like to be able to override this. There are plenty of cases where I might want to place some parts with high symmetry, then more on them with a lower symmetry. Asparagus fuel lines, for example, or putting reaction wheels on top of only some of my boosters.

Also, another thing: No flat 2.5-3.75 m adapter. The big tanks need adapters to cover their ends up, and only having the tapered one is limiting.

Edited by cantab

Also, another thing: No flat 2.5-3.75 m adapter. The big tanks need adapters to cover their ends up, and only having the tapered one is limiting.

Absolutely. So far I've been treating the size-3 parts as lifter-stages only, but I do plan to use a few for interplanetary missions as well, and I would really like a light-weight flat adapter to cover things up.

Free camera not really being free (it bumps up against something like it ran out of gimbal) and Kerbals on EVA not always facing the direction the camera does, like they are obeying some kind of orientation plane.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.