Pet peeves

SpacedCowboy

What are those "little things" that aggrivate you? Things like : Attempting to land on Minmus, you do a maneuver mode, and the light green text displaying the time till maneuver and time needed, blend right in with the light green surface of Minmus. Not that I'm blind, but it's hard to see : Here's another one, having to hit "G" twice to engage landing gears;;; so on so forth. I know complaints such as this are very trivial and in no way I am "dissin" Squad! Just wanted to know if any of you had similar "*****es". Here again, I think Squad is doing a bang up job.:)

Edited by Vanamonde

That every time I go to dock, I am in the shadow of (insert celestial body here).

That the up/down only rotate the view so far, and always end up stopping before the view rotates around to where I need it to be.

I can't stand how stock wheels behave like their suspension is made from Slinky springs at the worst possible moments. It makes rovers pretty untenable, and I'm hoping it gets fixed at some point. Other than that, the only thing that really bugs me are mods that have way too much on-screen real estate. All of those information panels are very distracting. Any screenshot with a ton of MechJeb windows open just makes me cringe.

It's spelled "peeves". Normally I wouldn't make a post just to correct someone's spelling, but that sorta is my pet peeve, so...

As for game-wise, those new buttons of maneuver nodes to advance it by one orbit at a time sometimes bug me. If there's something behind it, you end up clicking not just the button, but whatever's behind it too. And sometimes it just seems to randomly get deselected. I think maneuver nodes in general are kinda finicky. They should add keyboard controls to maneuver nodes.

I can't stand how stock wheels behave like their suspension is made from Slinky springs at the worst possible moments. It makes rovers pretty untenable, and I'm hoping it gets fixed at some point.

Funny, for me it's not that the suspension is a slinky, but that it seems to swap from 'axle bolted straight to the frame' to 'low-riding Cadillac' whenever the mood strikes it. That, and how they seem to have zero grip moving forward and backward, but stick like they've been welded down as soon as you get them sideways.

They should add keyboard controls to maneuver nodes.

Well, this patch did add scroll-wheel functionality. Don't know why, since it's worse than click-drag in every case I've tried using it, but it's a step.

Build finicky-ness in general. I was trying to put a structural panel next to another one and the tiniest of mouse movements swung the new panel around wildly. The VAB is normally OK, but the SPH, ugh.

And antennae retracting after transmission even when they were extended before. I manually extended it for a reason.

Well, this patch did add scroll-wheel functionality. Don't know why, since it's worse than click-drag in every case I've tried using it, but it's a step.

I'm on a laptop, so I can't even use that.

See, what I'm thinking is like, once you create the node, you hold down a certain key, then you could use, say WASDQE for prograde, retrograde, normal, radial, etc, and then perhaps Shift and Ctrl to move the node forward or backwards along the orbit. Or just assign it to other keys that aren't already in use, but you get the idea. Man, that would make my life so much easier...

• When you double click on a planet and the game decides you MUST have wanted to switch vessels to some random flag on its surface.
    • And then you can't get back to the ship you were controlling by double clicking it. :confused:
    • I've found a workaround to that, if you rapidly alternate left and right clicking, it'll eventually (usually less than 5 clicks) jump to your ship.
    • I found this out by angrily clicking all the things when I was mad at the above random flag jumping.

[*]When you can't place a maneuver node on your orbit, either because a SOI change causes a second orbit to be overlaid over yours or just because the game doesn't feel like it.

• Bonus: You can't use the "jump to previous orbit" button to... you know... Jump to that previous orbit.

• Clickthrough on GUIs.
  • The 4GB limit.
  • Not having enough time to play :)

Too easy to quit the game. I was working on an elaborate ship in the VAB the other day, and instead of the launch button, I hit the exit button by mistake. By reflex I hit escape, but that took me to the "Start Game" menu, where I clicked Back, thinking it would take me back to my game instead of starting a new one. But that just brought me to another menu, and I just wanted it to quit putting up menus, so I clicked Quit. It asked me if I wanted it to "Really Quit", and of course I did, because I was getting frustrated by this point, and I clicked Yes, really!, and it quit out of KSP completely.

I really think there should be one or ideally two more confirmation dialogs so that the player will understand that the game is about to be closed, because as it is now, it's waaaay too easy to exit unexpectedly.

Edited by Tinyboss

• When you double click on a planet and the game decides you MUST have wanted to switch vessels to some random flag on its surface.
    • And then you can't get back to the ship you were controlling by double clicking it. :confused:
    • I've found a workaround to that, if you rapidly alternate left and right clicking, it'll eventually (usually less than 5 clicks) jump to your ship.
    • I found this out by angrily clicking all the things when I was mad at the above random flag jumping.

[*]When you can't place a maneuver node on your orbit, either because a SOI change causes a second orbit to be overlaid over yours or just because the game doesn't feel like it.

• Bonus: You can't use the "jump to previous orbit" button to... you know... Jump to that previous orbit.

• Clickthrough on GUIs.
  • The 4GB limit.
  • Not having enough time to play :)

So much this! I'll buy the game a second time if Squad fixes this nonsense.

Backspace. Press it once, it refocuses the current ship while in map mode. Don't use in flight mode, unless things have already gone south (it triggers an abort there :)).

When you are on an intercept course, or when you've clawed an asteroid, you can't set up maneuver nodes. The game stops letting you do so until you've passed the intercept or SOI or whatever.

Otherwise, I'm good.

Backspace. Press it once, it refocuses the current ship while in map mode. Don't use in flight mode, unless things have already gone south (it triggers an abort there :)).

That wouldn't work in my peeve's case.

I'm orbiting Mun. I want to focus on Mun. I doubleclick Mun. Suddenly, the screen goes black and when the game comes back on, I'm controlling a flag on the surface. Tell me this hasn't happened to you? In that case, hitting backspace would refocus me on the flag. Finding my old ship in map mode and doing the left-right-left-right-left-right clicks, though? That for some reason works.

Backspace. Press it once, it refocuses the current ship while in map mode.

It's not a matter of the map suddenly being centered on a flag. It's more your active vessel suddenly being shifted to a flag.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.