[WIP]D12 Aerotech - A B9 Aerospace Expansion (Beta1)

PolecatEZ

The whole point of the wings was to replace the stock wings with B9 stuff, and the extra toys like swing/folding would add to the game. I also picked this for the first packl because its basically practice for more challenging things to come. In that spirit, I am going to scrap the leading edge idea out of the current "deluxe controllers" to make them more user friendly.

I've also sidetracked into the cockpits a bit, and I'm trying to cram two kerbals side by side in a conical one (B-58 Hustler style) based on the S2.

Wingtech Pack:

- Stock wing replacements (done)

- Stock control surfaces (done)

- Stock nosecone replacements (all types, done)

- Whole set of 3.75-2.5 adapters and Stock replacements (80% done)

- Stock Canard replacements (80% done)

- Stock Winglet replacements (80% done)

- Stock tail replacements (done)

- Swing wings (2 alternates, 80% done)

- Side-mount intake/wing mounts (done)

- Folding wings (2 alternates, 50%)

Aerotech pack:

- Tandem conical (done w/internals)

- SBS Crew Cab (done w/internals)

- Mk27 Tandem Attack Chopper (done w/internals)

- Mk2 inline Stock-alike (80% done, needs a graphics pass)

- Mk2 tandem inline (80% done, needs graphics pass)

- Mk1 replacements (doing mesh-switch for 3 styles, model concepts done - 30% done)

- 2.5m Modern bomber cockpit (on the drawing board, 10% done)

- Inline stock replacement intakes and nacelle intake (needs Unity, 70% done)

- B9 Aircraft nosecones, alternate styles (50% done)

- 1.25m bomb bay/cargo bay (done)

- B9 Tails (too easy, 80% done)

- A few landing gears (concept only, 0% done)

- Drop tanks and smaller pylons (100% done)

- AWACS radar dome (SCANSat/RemoteTech integration, concept phase)

Separating into Powertech Pack:

- Parachutes, stock replacements and alternates (20% done)

- 4 Rotors (need second graphics pass, 80% done)

- Tail Rotors (multiple alternates, 40% done)

- Stock jet engine replacements (40% done)

- Hustler style dual engine (80% done)

- Small jet engine mount for chopper rotors (50%)

- VTOL Jet engines (Harrier nozzles and Avengers jumbo jet style - 50%)

Navaltech Pack -

8 x 24m base hull (done and floating)

8 x 24m Basic sidewall (done and floating)

16m bow (done)

24m bow (not done, on version 4...grrr)

Carrier deck pieces (elevator, ski jump, crosswind adapter, chopper pad, plain) - (30% done)

Ramp sterns (not done)

Basic deck piece (warship riser) - (60%)

Engine screws, rudder (0%)

Bridge (0%)

Control Tower bridge topper (0%)

The whole point of the wings was to replace the stock wings with B9 stuff, and the extra toys like swing/folding would add to the game. I also picked this for the first packl because its basically practice for more challenging things to come. In that spirit, I am going to scrap the leading edge idea out of the current "deluxe controllers" to make them more user friendly.

I've also sidetracked into the cockpits a bit, and I'm trying to cram two kerbals side by side in a conical one (B-58 Hustler style) based on the S2.

Wingtech Pack:

- Stock wing replacements (done)

- Stock control surfaces (done)

- Stock nosecone replacements (all types, done)

- Whole set of 3.75-2.5 adapters and Stock replacements (80% done)

- Stock Canard replacements (80% done)

- Stock Winglet replacements (80% done)

- Stock tail replacements (done)

- Swing wings (2 alternates, 80% done)

- Side-mount intake/wing mounts (done)

- Folding wings (2 alternates, 50%)

Aerotech pack:

- Tandem conical (done w/internals)

- SBS Crew Cab (done w/internals)

- Mk27 Tandem Attack Chopper (done w/internals)

- Mk2 inline Stock-alike (80% done, needs a graphics pass)

- Mk2 tandem inline (80% done, needs graphics pass)

- Mk1 replacements (doing mesh-switch for 3 styles, model concepts done - 30% done)

- 2.5m Modern bomber cockpit (on the drawing board, 10% done)

- Inline stock replacement intakes and nacelle intake (needs Unity, 70% done)

- B9 Aircraft nosecones, alternate styles (50% done)

- B9 Tails (too easy, 80% done)

- A few landing gears (concept only, 0% done)

- Drop tanks and smaller pylons (100% done)

- AWACS radar dome (SCANSat/RemoteTech integration, concept phase)

Separating into Powertech Pack:

- Parachutes, stock replacements and alternates (20% done)

- 4 Rotors (need second graphics pass, 80% done)

- Tail Rotors (multiple alternates, 40% done)

- Stock jet engine replacements (40% done)

- Hustler style dual engine (80% done)

- Small jet engine mount for chopper rotors (50%)

- VTOL Jet engines (Harrier nozzles and Avengers jumbo jet style - 50%)

Navaltech Pack -

8 x 24m base hull (done and floating)

8 x 24m Basic sidewall (done and floating)

16m bow (done)

24m bow (not done, on version 4...grrr)

Carrier deck pieces (elevator, ski jump, crosswind adapter, chopper pad, plain) - (30% done)

Ramp sterns (not done)

Basic deck piece (warship riser) - (60%)

Engine screws, rudder (0%)

Bridge (0%)

Control Tower bridge topper (0%)

All these parts sound awesome, just curious though how well are those few naval parts you have so far fitting into the VAB/SPH? Guessing it will be easier to build something like that vertically in the VAB then flip it. Also is it just the Wingtech pack that's going to be redoing stock parts while optimising them? Can't wait for the full release of the first pack!

All these parts sound awesome, just curious though how well are those few naval parts you have so far fitting into the VAB/SPH? Guessing it will be easier to build something like that vertically in the VAB then flip it. Also is it just the Wingtech pack that's going to be redoing stock parts while optimising them? Can't wait for the full release of the first pack!

The same plugin that allows ID's carriers to extend out of the SPH can be applied here.

Wingtech will contain the most so far, I will get to all Squad parts eventually (that's the goal). I may also start using mesh-switcher to go between B9 and KW style (or others with open licenses). With rockets, its not really B9 exclusive territory any more.

The same plugin that allows ID's carriers to extend out of the SPH can be applied here.

Wingtech will contain the most so far, I will get to all Squad parts eventually (that's the goal). I may also start using mesh-switcher to go between B9 and KW style (or others with open licenses). With rockets, its not really B9 exclusive territory any more.

Oh cool, I haven't ran into the plugin yet but I'll bear it in mind for the future now. Really good idea with switching between B9, KW etc. I can really see my parts list shrinking nicely in the coming months with the direction mods are taking recently. Also, sorry to bug you but I forgot to add this into the last post. Will the Aerotech Pack fill some of the gaps in B9's larger parts? I never actually got into B9 until after Bac9 had been hired and the thread killed, but it always seems to me there's a small number of parts that I can never find a way to connect to anything.

Oh cool, I haven't ran into the plugin yet but I'll bear it in mind for the future now. Really good idea with switching between B9, KW etc. I can really see my parts list shrinking nicely in the coming months with the direction mods are taking recently. Also, sorry to bug you but I forgot to add this into the last post. Will the Aerotech Pack fill some of the gaps in B9's larger parts? I never actually got into B9 until after Bac9 had been hired and the thread killed, but it always seems to me there's a small number of parts that I can never find a way to connect to anything.

Yeah, there really needs to be a cockpit to fit directly onto the HL series fuselage, which would give many people (myself included) the perfect base to build shuttles with!

Are you happy now?

hl_Cockpit.png

By my estimate, even being very liberal with leg room, you could still jam between 16 and 30 kerbals in there. I could probably also finagle it to mesh-switch between a 3.75m round and HL fit, though the window placement would need to move ahead of the door for both versions to work.

Will the Aerotech Pack fill some of the gaps in B9's larger parts? I never actually got into B9 until after Bac9 had been hired and the thread killed, but it always seems to me there's a small number of parts that I can never find a way to connect to anything.

Specifics - I like specifics.

Edited by PolecatEZ

Am I to understand that this is a piece, say for S2 or Mk1, 2 or 3 planes that opens on the underside? That's a piece that's sorely missing. I (and I imagine others) would really like for a bay that opens on the underside to drop rovers and what not without having to have dodgy looking changes in textures (shielded on top?). Also for hiding away other bits and pieces on the underside (such as wheel bays, extending docking ports and so on).

Among my Kerbonauts, Bill and Bob suggested that we crane them from an upside facing cargo bay, and Jeb... Well... Jeb's suggestion was to flip the damn spacecraft onto its back. But I'm not a fan of either of those suggestions.

Sorry it's taken me ages to get a chance to get near my PC again. I'm going through the B9 parts list now and here's some of the parts I've failed to find a use for and maybe a couple of parts that would have made a nice addition.

First as Falken mentioned the lack of any large cockpit to fit the HL series, but it seems you have that covered.

Another part I found no use for is the Hl to Mk4 adapter, I mean I can't find any Mk 4 parts, or even any Mk3 parts. It just seems like an adapter to nothing.

A part I wish existed was some sort of short length adapter for the Mk2 series engines. The only engine adapter requires 2 engines by default and is huge in lenght, it really limits what engines you can sensibly use without them hitting the runway. The only sensible way I can use the Mk2 seems to be to shove the engine directly onto the back with no adapter, it work, but it could look a lot better with an actual adapter.

These are the only parts I can find right now but if I stumble on any more I'll add them to the post

Mk4 parts are TouhouTorpedo's ultrahuge cargo lifter parts. The adapter is actually very useful if you like them, though they're a bit dated by now, and the textures are sub-par. Mk3 fuselages are stock parts.

Mk4 parts are TouhouTorpedo's ultrahuge cargo lifter parts. The adapter is actually very useful if you like them, though they're a bit dated by now, and the textures are sub-par. Mk3 fuselages are stock parts.

Oh ok, Mk 3 makes more sense then but I really thought the HL to MK4 adapter would have had some mention of TouhouTorpedo's parts in the description, either that or it did and I've had a rather stupid moment. Either way, I guess for now I'll probably just keep it kicking around to see what comes with D12 and if it will give me a new use for it. Other than that I may just wipe it, I'm recently being pretty careful in adding new parts as my list is already bloated like crazy so I'm mostly going for ones that support the new tweak scale options. Thanks for explaining, that had been confusing me for a while now.

TT hasn't updated his Mk4 parts in a while, and there are some little rules he put on the license. For that, instead of doing anything with the TT parts, I just took the adapter and made a cargo bay and ramp part for it (should be pics somewhere in this thread). Works well in testing, but trying to figure out where to put it for release.

Single engine Mk2 adapter is a stock part, but I also made a B9 version that's kicking around somewhere already released. I'll find it an stick it in the next release also. I sort of backed off the Mk2 as PorkWorks is making an excellent lineup for that, and Bac9 also mentioned a part or two he was going to make for that line as well.

The canards and articulated winglets are done, I split time between those and the HL cockpit. I added a second set of windows above the first and canted them forward, so now we have a command bridge. The underside will have doors for a small cargo bay that can accomodate easily a 1.25m package up to 2-2.5m long (escape pod, KSPI fusion thingy, TAC supplies...whatever). I'll put a third set of windows side-lined forward of the doors. Should be able to do a crew of about 7 to 10 kerbals that way. Designed with meshswitcher in mind, so there will be a 3.75m and HL version as part of the same catalog entry.

Sorry it's taken me ages to get a chance to get near my PC again. I'm going through the B9 parts list now and here's some of the parts I've failed to find a use for and maybe a couple of parts that would have made a nice addition.

First as Falken mentioned the lack of any large cockpit to fit the HL series, but it seems you have that covered.

Another part I found no use for is the Hl to Mk4 adapter, I mean I can't find any Mk 4 parts, or even any Mk3 parts. It just seems like an adapter to nothing.

A part I wish existed was some sort of short length adapter for the Mk2 series engines. The only engine adapter requires 2 engines by default and is huge in lenght, it really limits what engines you can sensibly use without them hitting the runway. The only sensible way I can use the Mk2 seems to be to shove the engine directly onto the back with no adapter, it work, but it could look a lot better with an actual adapter.

These are the only parts I can find right now but if I stumble on any more I'll add them to the post

Check out PorkWorks' SpacePlanePlus. He's done some mods of B9 parts to provide fillers for just the very gaps you mention!

EDIT: IVA for cockpits is still WiP though...

Folding wings turned out better than expected...I had to take a few minutes out just to play. I used animations, so they're still FAR compatible. They're a little big, but that's to compensate for the fact that you can't really build other wings with them. I got about 25 tons into the air using a fair accounting for their size, but it took a lot of takeoff speed for that. I also did a canard articulation on the fold, so they have some elevator capability. Its about 3-5 degrees though, so it doesn't look bad at all.

Folding_wings.png

Swept wings, canards, and winglets are also done. There's 6 or 7 varieties of each in a single entry. I also used stock lift/ctrlSrf code to keep them FAR friendly.

All that's left are the intakes and a revisit of the swing wings. I may not do a heavy pass at those, as I'm getting a little tired of wings and the cockpits are calling my name. The only thing in the pack that won't be FAR compatible will be the swing wing setups. FAR users can just delete them, or use them locked in the "extended" position.

Swing wings are now pure sexy. This pack is so close to done I can smell it. I'll open it up to a vote in a few, as I have about 4 other packs in the works and need to prioritize.

swing_Out.pngswing_In.png

Got another swing wing (inverted style), forward swept advanced wing, and the intakes to Unity-ify, stock code on the ailerons, then a graphics optimization pass...then full beta release.

While you're at it making swing wings, could you make a set of X-02 wyvern wings (Ace Combat series)

Looking at the diagrams, those may turn out better than the inverted swing wing set I have right now. I can't find the original concept where I grabbed it (there are some very prolific artists on Deviant Art), but the results are not as clean as I had hoped when translated to 3d.

swing_In2.pngswing_In2b.png

They look a lot better as end caps for other wing builds, but naked they could use more work or scrapped altogether. The silhouette shadow looks like a plucked chicken when flying. I'll also probably use a standard wing color as the base instead of the HW21.

I guess I could have some fun tonight and replace the placeholder - and push release to Wednesday. I have a very good X-02 diagram to work from, results should be pretty clean.

They are sexy little beasts. I figured out the problem with the design, should anyone attempt to make those wings in real life though. Basically, there's nothing bracing them extending under the wing, the basic geometry of the situation prevents it.

swing_In2.png

Using FS code and realistic measurements, they do have an incredible amount of lift when they're swingin'. In the pic, that's about 5 tons of aircraft and 12 tons of ordnance. She got off the runway when I swept em out and not before.

I got to about 98% finished (just needed to do an optimization pass at the texture file system) and realized this is just not a very exciting pack. I'll roll everything back into D12 Aerotech, including now cockpits (lots to pick from and delete what you don't need), a few engines and intakes, rotors will get a second pass and included, the entire Squad/Parts/Aero folder is going to be replaced (already done). For wings we have Squad replacements (with 6 to 9 variations each), 2 different swing wings, folding wing set (FAR friendly).

Most of these are at a near finished state. The HL and Mk1 SBS are still in concept phase, the rest are done with internals done (just no props). I may make a few more variations for mesh switching.

cockpit_Mashup.png

Landing gear will be my challenge tomorrow. After this release I'm done with airplanes for a while. You'll get a choice between weapons pack (Skillful compatible Battletech universe stuff - PPC, AC20, SRM6, etc) or B9-style modern weapons, or naval ships, or space odds and ends. Also working on spaceship parts and trying to come up with a good size configuration...want something organic looking but still look like it belongs in the B9 universe, Mon Calamari shipyards style - still toying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.