What does it mean to be Whackjob in KSP now?

Whackjob

Oy, I'd better get ya a newer one! Uhhh...

/snip

Gotta de-office.

Why thank you! Most impressive... My goal now is to replicate that - that is if my measly, dual-core laptop i5 can take it. I think it might be able to.

I hope.

Maybe.

*Whimper*

Make some awesome mecha. I would hazard a guess that a Whackjobian mecha would tower with one foot on either side of the VAB :P

... I like this idea. Time to see what the big man has to say about it as soon as he's de-officed.

Ah, but that's the ticket. He can still do 800 part monstrosities, it's just that the power and utility of them will be much greater with the larger parts.

And to be Whackjob is to inspire, amuse, and quite often frighten the rest of us, as well as the physics engine with whatever projects you find enjoyable. Hell, take a spin with Infernal Robotics. Make some awesome mecha. I would hazard a guess that a Whackjobian mecha would tower with one foot on either side of the VAB :P

800 parts? My good man, I've topped six thousand. :)

... giant Whackjovian robot? Hrm. Can't do it with infernal robotics... I've delved into that, and even the biggest actuators cannot handle even the smallest of weights I would need to.

You should take a jab at one of my long-standing projects...

Build something capable of launching a Kerbal from the ground to orbit with nothing but the Kerbal being in flight.

Best I've gotten is around 8k in the air before gravity and atmosphere pull the poor guy back down. Its really fun and really laggy. You'll love it!

The thing with the new parts is that previously you used 6000 parts to lift some certain amount of mass into space, now you can use the same amount of parts to lift a lot more mass into space. If the new parts make your current stuff easy to make, then simply go even bigger.

Take your craziest, biggest, laggiest creation and triple it in size, this is what you can do with the new parts.

Capture an asteroid in something so big it can transport and launch it at something. Like, say, the sun.

Is that even possible? What happens if you huck a good sized rock at the sun? They don't float, not sure how the 'surface' on Kerbol works. Normally stuff burns up within ~1000m of it. Could you make something capable of capturing an asteroid and hurling it into Kerbol?

OK. First of all, can the rotten bounder who pinched Whackjob's mojo please give it back. Whackjob's mojo does not magically turn one into Whackjob.

Thank you.

Right. Now for the serious part. Whack - we all know that you've long since mastered the science of implausibly colossal KSP constructions. Now it is time to venture into the realms of... installation art.

Remember those guys that use to wrap buildings? Why not try wrapping some of the easter eggs? Found a Munolith? Build a replica one beside it. Spotted an interestingly sized canyon on a small desolate mun? Build a bridge over it. Simple geometric shapes will be fine, nothing fancy. The size of your creations next to the easter eggs will say it all.

One other idea - how about a reconstruction of "2001 - A Space Odyssey"? Begin with an artificial monolith on the Mun. Continue with a replica of Discovery, complete with the famous pod bay doors and pods docked inside. End with a larger monolith in orbit around Jool.

Build a giant 'Borg' style cube a Kilometer on a side (I recall you said you once hit the 2.2 Km limit once, of course you never mentioned framerate, do you measure it in FPH?) with say, 8 landing bays, a lot of lights, (Your moniker on the side maybe?) living space, science, and single lift it into space. Do a major grand tour and finish it off with a fiery plummet into Eve's atmosphere returning to Kerbin in a rescue lifeboat built into the center of the cube.....

Or perhaps an orbital construction of a strut styled interplanetary craft (think 2001, The Black Hole, Event Horizon, Pitch Black) a Km or two in length, with all the above, with action grouped Bertha engines on each end to steer it.....

Or perhaps build one of each and do an orbital rendezvous with counter rotating orbits at full speed.....

Or perhaps, build a ship that can fully encase a class D asteroid and then .........(brain overload, unable to think at this scale......fzzzzzt.....)

BTW, how are you liking the new Whackputer?

As I'm only Pslytely Psycho and not a total Whackjob, these ideas probably seem a tad small......:D

'Splosions are the sprinkles on your ice cream sundae......Jeb:huh::cool::confused:

[Edit] When you do find your muse, Bandicam it, speed it up to normal animation speed, and post it. (Heheehee, it might be the first time you've ever seen one of your in-sanitarium ships run at full animation speed? I know my OC'd AMD 8320 and r9 270x starts to bog at 600 parts, I can't even imagine a 6000 part ship!!!!)

Edited by pslytely psycho

Put a E Class asteroid into a low solar orbit. Then put another asteroid into a low solar orbit in the other direction before crashing them into each other at double orbital speed. If that does not tempt the Kraken nothing will.

Put a dozen of SLS boosters on said asteroids. Blast them into each other just before impact. Watch parts scatter around.:cool:

In my opinion, Whackjob is a noun, a name, and an adjective.

Whackjob - The act describable as whackjob

('my whackjob can launch 50 humans')

Whackjob - The one person that does stuff

Whackjob - Adjective - stuff having been done

('that whackjob is so whackjob')

... giant Whackjovian robot? Hrm. Can't do it with infernal robotics... I've delved into that, and even the biggest actuators cannot handle even the smallest of weights I would need to.
How about using mod parts for hinges and bearings, and engines assigned to action groups to control the thing's limbs. I'm sure a few of the new ARM engines will handle the weight.

If you ask me, what made Wackjob's craft so impresive, was not just their size. There are a few other forumers who also create impressive, massive rockets.

It was the craziness and cleverness of the structural engineering that made Wackjob's craft so impresive.

Size is not the main issue. The added strength is the issue.

Wackjob, I suggest your next KSP project should be something involving huge, crazy, flying structures.

Maybe build a tree out of the largest tanks, spread out with many trusses. OR perhaps something made of many large tanks held together at seemingly crazy angles, resembling a pile of sticks, held together with some strutting magic. Make it huge, and get it into orbit in one peice.

Think big, complex, crazy, nigh-impossible.

"Ant-engine"-only Tylo descent / reascent vehicle? That oughta push the part count into the multiple thousands and give the new computer a good ride.

Ooohhh, and launch it from Kerbin with only Ion engines.

(My spreadsheet just ran out of rows.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.