We need FACTIONS

I definitely wouldn't want to go for anything weapon related in KSP. It just shouldn't be that sort of game in my eyes. But I think maybe having a rival organisation to beat to certain objectives is a possibility... but maybe it could be synced with your friends' progress online when that gets implemented.

Edit: I don't mean rivals as in different countries either, maybe just different companies looking for funding and contracts - like the companies getting funding from NASA for ISS resupply missions

Edited by sporkafife

I like to think the Kerbals are one united Civilization that has no competition and is not looking for one either.

Even if their world is balkanized I still get the impression they're not particularly violent. Competitive maybe, but not violent.

I think there should be, in career mode, several space agencies with unique priorities and methods etc. which could create a diplomatic system. Ally with some agencies to collaborate and advance faster, or out-perform and de-bunk other agencies that use unconventional methods (such as a lack of regard for Kerbal safety).

I'd like a sort of light-hearted space race, where the contracts make reference to your rivals on the other side of the planet. ("The Labrek Space Programme is planning to send a probe to Jool, You get 300 kash if you make it there before them", or "A Labrek space probe has run out of power, and only you have a craft ready to launch. Rendezvous and save those idiots and you will be rewarded."

Weapons and war, absolutely not. Kerbals are not violent (except in a slapsticky way when somebody eats all their snacks)

I'd like a sort of light-hearted space race, where the contracts make reference to your rivals on the other side of the planet. ("The Labrek Space Programme is planning to send a probe to Jool, You get 300 kash if you make it there before them", or "A Labrek space probe has run out of power, and only you have a craft ready to launch. Rendezvous and save those idiots and you will be rewarded."

IDK, I like to think of KSC2 as my backup site.

HTc1Egp.png

And that you're the only space program, at least at first.

Yes. REALLY wants this. Maybe have several other companies that are trying to explore space just like you, with their own spaceship designs, tech tree progression, and artificial intelligence so they can actually fly their ships to other planets. I know this is a LONG way down the line in terms of complexity, but maybe irt would be a good addition for 0.42 or something.

It would also be a good way for the devs to test out the new multiplayer functions they've been working on by having an autopiloted vessel run in the background.

Maybe the companies (Rockomax, Probodobodyne, Periapsis co., etc.) could also have something to do with this whole idea, in that they give certain contracts related to their parts such as using only that company's engines on a craft to advertise them.

Weapons are on the WNTS list. :P

However I like the idea of competing companies or factions as I picture Kerbals enjoy a bit of friendly competition.

I can imagine the two space agencies being bitter and sworn rivals after a furious argument involving something completely trivial (a splinter organisation who sink billions into constructing a state-of-the-art space centre because Jeb chewed his snacks too loudly in the astronaut centre canteen)

I greatly dislike the idea of factions in competition, violent or not. I like that the only "enemies" are physics and the perils of space. Well, those plus my occasional incompetence. I would be very disappointed if KSP became a game about "beating" others, whether AI or human controlled.

• 3 weeks later...
Even if their world is balkanized I still get the impression they're not particularly violent. Competitive maybe, but not violent.

Actually Kerbals can be quite violent.

There’s been a considerable amount of controversy status of Eeloo as being a proper planet or just a lump of ice going around the sun. The debate is still ongoing, as most academic summits held to address the issue have devolved into, on good days, petty name calling, and on worse ones, all-out brawls.

 Kerbal Astronomical Society

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.