[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

First off I thank you for continuing the work on this mod. It is a staple of my career playthroughs and, along with remotetech is the best 'roleplaying ' mod I have yet found.

Sounds like in the new update, every body in the system will have a biome map. Do you expect it will take a while to update these into the mod, or should it already be accounted for?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the work you have put into this.

Sounds like in the new update, every body in the system will have a biome map. Do you expect it will take a while to update these into the mod, or should it already be accounted for?

Biome names and locations are always read directly from the game. It will work just like biomes injected onto those planets with Custom Biomes just work now.

Firstly let me say that I think mod is brilliantly useful and provides an essential functionality to the game. However, and this may be a bit shallow of me, but I dislike the simple (though, in the end, more or less adequate) 3D models and crude textures of the parts (scanners) provided. I'd like to request, if I may, and as respectfully as possible, that you consider maybe tapping or teaming up with a modeler and texture guy to create some swanky high-quality stockalike parts to replace the current ones. I apologize if I've caused any offense, and thanks for all your excellent work.

Bomoo, this sound like an actual awesome occasion for you to learn about sarbian's module manager!

The real work behind scansat is everything but it's part. If you open an Scansat antenna .cfg file you'll see a module named scansat with different specifications on each part. So wathever part you want can acquire this module if you write a simple .cfg file that patch the game. You could take a part from another mod and change its properties to make it a scansat antenna ( there is a lot of nice one out there )

Oh, and I came here to see if anybody gave some 0.90 feedback, I guess I'll just try it

Bomoo, this sound like an actual awesome occasion for you to learn about sarbian's module manager!

Amen to that! Module Manager is seriously the greatest thing since bottled whiskey, even more important than canned beer :). It makes everybody a modder by letting you alter the function of nearly everything in the game (not just parts) by writing a simple text file. Want MJ functionality as standard in all pods without having to add the external part? No problem. Want to use a different part as a ScanSat scanner? No problem. Want to change the mass/cost/conversion ratios/pumpability of resources? No problem. The list is nearly endless. Knock yourself out. :)

Oh, and I came here to see if anybody gave some 0.90 feedback, I guess I'll just try it

In the words of King Arthur, "And we shall watch, and pray." :D

Hi,

I've just been testing this with 0.90.0, and encountered the following situation:

I put a probe with RADAR and MultiSpectral scanners into orbit around Duna.

I was able to scan into the small map, but the big map window was not available. The following error was repeated in the Alt-F2 Debug Log:

[Exception]: MissingFieldException: Field '.CelestialBody.BiomeMap' not found.

The KSP and Output logs are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ytpya07ow2wt3d5/AACsyvk4G3A1PWNxCAMGSfrwa?dl=0

Please let me know if you need any further info or clarification.

ETA: Modlist

KER - 1.0.13.0

KAC - 3.0.5.0

EVE - 7-4

PreciseNode - 1.1.1

Trajectories - 1.0.0

Transfer Window Planner - 1.1.2.0

SCANsat - 1.0.8.0

Edited by AlexinTokyo

The biome maps appear to be stored in a different class now. Which is causing anything trying to access these maps to fail. This is a simple issue and has already been fixed and tested. Also, is anyone else extremely disappointed in some of these biome maps? Duna, at least, should have been given something more interesting (Ike has a more interesting biome map than Duna's :mad:)...

I've already started with Regolith implementation, the reflection work should be done already. I just need to handle loading in the available resources (from the CRP folder I assume); I saw the parts about oceanic resources, which might also work with SCANsat maps. I'll need to look into that and adjusting the threshold and abundance range for the actual display. But otherwise SCANsat appears mostly unaffected and I should have an update ready (at least for the [thread=96859]dev version[/thread], which is the build environment I already have setup) by tonight.

Also, is anyone else extremely disappointed in some of these biome maps? Duna, at least, should have been given something more interesting (Ike has a more interesting biome map than Duna's :mad:)...

While I haven't actually looked at the biome maps yet since I can't be bothered playing stock ksp and I'm waiting for all the mods to update, that's rather disappointing to hear. What's even more disheartening is the author of custom biomes has decided his mod is obsolete now and doesn't look like he's going to be updating it.

I too am testing it out. Brought my v0.25.0 Science game over into v0.90.0 and check my SCANsats first thing. The big map is not available. I reset all data. Big map still not available. Also, noticed that "Instruments" when clicked/selected isn't showing either. I've not check the BTDT yet.

The biome changes will prevent anything but the small map from working. So this will need to be updated to be of any use.

Version 8 probably won't be getting Regolith support, just because there are too many changes needed for some aspects of the resource system, and those changes are completely different from those needed for version 9 because of the numerous differences made to the latest v9 release. :confused:

An update should be ready in the next few days.

The biome maps appear to be stored in a different class now. Which is causing anything trying to access these maps to fail. This is a simple issue and has already been fixed and tested. Also, is anyone else extremely disappointed in some of these biome maps? Duna, at least, should have been given something more interesting (Ike has a more interesting biome map than Duna's :mad:)...

I've been considering a suggestion thread for that. it is plain. something like Olympus Mons would be nice.

An update for the [thread=96859]dev version[/thread] is available now.

An update for this version, with only the biome fixes will be released soon, probably tonight.

Installed RC4 and now getting biome data, thanks!

Once I turned off the legend on the big map I was unable to get it back on again. The toggle activates, and stays selected, but the legend does not reappear.