[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

I only hyperedited to LKO.  I flew from there to Moho the old fashioned way.  Is it possible the M700 bug is keeping ScanSat from getting the initial green light from the M700 to acknowledge that a stock scan has been done?

I would recommend having a resource rover in orbit ready to land on an acceptable hotspot and all 3 ScanSats completed before doing an M700, and maybe an alt f5 save made at the point in time before the M700 resource scan is run.

I've seen this behavior in career with the stock scanner, but I think that since I had all the Scansat maps completed the data was released to ScanSat which saved it, even though the stock game denies the M700 has been run and doesn't give an option to rerun it.  It's very frustrating to have an expensive mission whose only purpose is resource retrieval not work because of a major stock bug.

Hello. I got a new install of KSP 1.0.5 with all my favourite mods and now I have some issues with Scansat. It basically works almost as expected. So far this is what I have observed is:

-The tooltip you get with right clicking on a scaning device does not show information about the altitude. The place after "Altitude:" is blank.

-So far I have done scans with RADAR and the multispectral sensor and both seem to not consume any electricity at all. I checked with the Ressources tab too, it doesn´t show any electricity drain.

TJftaDX.png?1

3 hours ago, Aethon said:

I only hyperedited to LKO.  I flew from there to Moho the old fashioned way.  Is it possible the M700 bug is keeping ScanSat from getting the initial green light from the M700 to acknowledge that a stock scan has been done?

I would recommend having a resource rover in orbit ready to land on an acceptable hotspot and all 3 ScanSats completed before doing an M700, and maybe an alt f5 save made at the point in time before the M700 resource scan is run.

I've seen this behavior in career with the stock scanner, but I think that since I had all the Scansat maps completed the data was released to ScanSat which saved it, even though the stock game denies the M700 has been run and doesn't give an option to rerun it.  It's very frustrating to have an expensive mission whose only purpose is resource retrieval not work because of a major stock bug.

No. SCANsat resource scanning functions irrespective of standard SCANsat scans, if one type functions properly then all types should function properly.

The only way that stock M700 bugs might affect SCANsat (and again, the only way that I'm aware of for these M700 transmission bugs to occur is when using an unpatched version of ScienceAlert or RemoteTech) is when you haven't disabled stock scanning. If the stock scan hasn't been completed SCANsat can't do anything about it. If you disable stock scanning then it should work fine.

39 minutes ago, dr_evil said:

Hello. I got a new install of KSP 1.0.5 with all my favourite mods and now I have some issues with Scansat. It basically works almost as expected. So far this is what I have observed is:

-The tooltip you get with right clicking on a scaning device does not show information about the altitude. The place after "Altitude:" is blank.

-So far I have done scans with RADAR and the multispectral sensor and both seem to not consume any electricity at all. I checked with the Ressources tab too, it doesn´t show any electricity drain.

Does it work at all, is it scanning and saving data? That looks like a problem with SCANsat not being properly initialized the first time it was run. The only way I know of to cause this is by using one of those mods that let you skip the space center scene and load directly to a vessel or the editor (I think substituting a quicksave file for you persistent file might also be able to cause this).

1 minute ago, DMagic said:

Does it work at all, is it scanning and saving data? That looks like a problem with SCANsat not being properly initialized the first time it was run. The only way I know of to cause this is by using one of those mods that let you skip the space center scene and load directly to a vessel or the editor (I think substituting a quicksave file for you persistent file might also be able to cause this).

Hi there, thanks for the great mod! Yes, it does work. The maps are being updated and I also got some science for the scans. The only mod that I can think of that lets me jump scenes is KAC. I didn´t have any config popup from SCANsat and so I set it to disable stock scanning while on my first scanning trip. I will try to reinstall SCANsat and cross my fingers while doing so. I will then test it with a sandbox game.

I´ve done some testing. I grabbed my stock folder (it is not the steam but the good old games version) and installed a minimal mod setup. Installed mods:

-KSP version 1.0.5.1028 (This is the latest version you can download on gog, maybe they are late on an update?)

-SCANsat v. 1.1.4.5 (14.5)

-ModuleManager v. 2.6.17

-Blizzy´s toolbar 1.7.10

As for the settings of SCANsat (I didn´t get any popup at the start of a new career, not sure if it is supposed to happen, so I set them manually before the first flight):

-Everything is checked on the first settings window for the vessel settings

-Resource settings window: Disable stock scanning and stock scan threshold (90%) are checked, everything else unchecked

Behaviour is as I already described. No power usage for RADAR and Biome scanners (Those are the only ones I have tested). The SCANsat Altitude is blank. For the last I found a workaround as in the small map the "LO" and "MULTI" indicators are blinking as ment to be. Everything else works fine. The scans occur and the maps are updated.

I have no Idea what is causing this. I am pretty sure I made a clumsy mistake some point along the road. :/

Edit: I have done some more testing with KSP fresh install and only ModuleManager and SCANsat and the only lines in the log with an error concerning SCANsat are:

[ERR 12:54:54.509] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'SCANmechjeb' has not met dependency 'MechJeb2' V2.5

[ERR 12:54:54.510] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'SCANmechjeb' is missing 1 dependencies

Here is the full log: http://pastebin.com/wkg2DjFX

I can´t figure out what is going on. Maybe it is the good old games version that is incompatible with SCANsat.

Edited by dr_evil

On 1/11/2016 at 8:00 AM, dr_evil said:

Edit: I have done some more testing with KSP fresh install and only ModuleManager and SCANsat and the only lines in the log with an error concerning SCANsat are:

[ERR 12:54:54.509] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'SCANmechjeb' has not met dependency 'MechJeb2' V2.5

[ERR 12:54:54.510] AssemblyLoader: Assembly 'SCANmechjeb' is missing 1 dependencies

Here is the full log: http://pastebin.com/wkg2DjFX

I can´t figure out what is going on. Maybe it is the good old games version that is incompatible with SCANsat.

The SCANmechjeb assembly isn't an issue, it's just doing what it's supposed to do when MechJeb isn't installed. And I don't see any reason why a different store version of KSP would matter. Everything else in the logs looks fine.

So the scanners work, the animations work, and the buttons work, but it isn't using power or updating the SCANsat Altitude field? That is very strange, it's like the OnUpdate method is working but OnFixedUpdate isn't. Can you check in your persistence file to see if the SCANsat modules on that vessel show IsEnabled = true? I can't see why they wouldn't be, but I don't really understand what's happening.

8 hours ago, DMagic said:

The SCANmechjeb assembly isn't an issue, it's just doing what it's supposed to do when MechJeb isn't installed. And I don't see any reason why a different store version of KSP would matter. Everything else in the logs looks fine.

So the scanners work, the animations work, and the buttons work, but it isn't using power or updating the SCANsat Altitude field? That is very strange, it's like the OnUpdate method is working but OnFixedUpdate isn't. Can you check in your persistence file to see if the SCANsat modules on that vessel show IsEnabled = true? I can't see why they wouldn't be, but I don't really understand what's happening.

Thanks for the quick reply DMagic,

I have looked up the persistent save file and everything looked OK there. You can find it here http://pastebin.com/HXtfwqC6

I have only one vessel in that save which I didn´t name as it is only for testing purpose ("Untitled Space Craft"). For the SCANsat scanner I found isEnabled = True and scanning = True.

To exclude other sources of error, I donwloaded KSP and compared the MD5-hash to make sure the version I installed wasn´t corrupted when downloading it. I also installed KSP and SCANsat on my laptop (which is a rather old T61 so I couldn´t do to much testing, FPS=0,1 :D) and assembled a simple vessel with a pod and a scanner and just started scanning on the launchpad with the same results as before. Not sure if SCANsat modules work landed on the ground so this test might be useless. Being unable to launch a craft with such low FPS I imported the testing savegame from my PC with the same results. No electricity consumption and blank SCANsat altitude field.

I hope this helps a bit.

On 10/1/2016 at 5:56 PM, DMagic said:

Which behavior would that be? Did you read the SCANsat wiki to find out if such behavior is expected?

It isn't: I scanned 100%  of  Kerbin with the M700  Survey  Scanner and  I should get something llike  "Ore: some%" instead of "Ore: No Scanner".

Also, the first  time I tried to scan with the stock settings and I got no data, no overlay, nothing.

12 hours ago, DMagic said:

That is very strange, it's like the OnUpdate method is working but OnFixedUpdate isn't.

OnFixedUpdate is only called when part is activated (either through staging or a call to force_activate). Use FixedUpdate (no "On") if you want it to only depend on the state of your module.

5 hours ago, Carsaxy said:

It isn't: I scanned 100%  of  Kerbin with the M700  Survey  Scanner and  I should get something llike  "Ore: some%" instead of "Ore: No Scanner".

Also, the first  time I tried to scan with the stock settings and I got no data, no overlay, nothing.

This will be fixed in the next update.

2 hours ago, charfa said:

OnFixedUpdate is only called when part is activated (either through staging or a call to force_activate). Use FixedUpdate (no "On") if you want it to only depend on the state of your module.

That's what I was thinking too, though I thought that the IsEnabled flag in the part module meant that it was activated. And using OnFixedUpdate was working fine the last time I tested SCANsat. In any event, I've switched to Update and FixedUpdate for the next version.

I'm also working on fixing Kopernicus support and a few other minor things.

23 minutes ago, DMagic said:
2 hours ago, charfa said:

That's what I was thinking too, though I thought that the IsEnabled flag in the part module meant that it was activated. And using OnFixedUpdate was working fine the last time I tested SCANsat. In any event, I've switched to Update and FixedUpdate for the next version.

If I understand it right you guys have tracked down the possible cause of the issue. :) If there is a way for me to test the new code I would love to do that. From github I can only get the source code and that one is uncompiled. If I am right I would have to compile that to the dll. Sadly my programming skills are a bit rusty.

Thanks anyways :cool:

31 minutes ago, dr_evil said:

If I understand it right you guys have tracked down the possible cause of the issue. :) If there is a way for me to test the new code I would love to do that. From github I can only get the source code and that one is uncompiled. If I am right I would have to compile that to the dll. Sadly my programming skills are a bit rusty.

Thanks anyways :cool:

Well, it should fix the problem, but I still don't understand why it's a problem some of the time but not all of the time.

I won't get a chance to test this for a while, by Friday at the latest, but the Kopernicus fixes might totally break things if something goes wrong, so I'll need to check those before releasing anything. But most of the changes are minor, so I should have the next update ready by the weekend.

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

Well, it should fix the problem, but I still don't understand why it's a problem some of the time but not all of the time.

I´ve figured out a method of testing it from charfa´s description of the methods. I just dumped all the stages and chutes by activating them through staging. And guess what? :D Power is drained again (Still doesn´t show up as a consumer when I highlight the electric charge in the ressources tab but not sure if it is ment to be.) and it shows the SCANsat altitude :D This may be your answer. If someone builds a fire and forget satellite with all stages gone when scanning, it might work fine. Otherwise if there are still stages left, the OnFixedUpdate prevents the features from working.

LyeNdmX.png

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

I won't get a chance to test this for a while, by Friday at the latest, but the Kopernicus fixes might totally break things if something goes wrong, so I'll need to check those before releasing anything. But most of the changes are minor, so I should have the next update ready by the weekend.

I didn´t want to rush you, just to help out if there is a chance. It´s ready when it is ready ;)

Edited by dr_evil

2 hours ago, dr_evil said:

I´ve figured out a method of testing it from charfa´s description of the methods. I just dumped all the stages and chutes by activating them through staging. And guess what? :D Power is drained again (Still doesn´t show up as a consumer when I highlight the electric charge in the ressources tab but not sure if it is ment to be.) and it shows the SCANsat altitude :D This may be your answer. If someone builds a fire and forget satellite with all stages gone when scanning, it might work fine. Otherwise if there are still stages left, the OnFixedUpdate prevents the features from working.

Yeah, it makes sense that something about staging could cause an issue like this. Using FixedUpdate rather than OnFixedUpdate is something that should be done anyway, most parts don't have any need to require activation through staging.

I've also updated the Wiki on how to create new language packs for the localization file (for adding translations to SCANsat's help tooltips). And for how to add new resources for SCANsat to recognize and the scanner modules to scan for them.

Version 14.6 is out; get it on Kerbal Stuff.

It includes fixes for Kopernicus compatibility, a change to how the mouse-over and tooltip info for resources is displayed, some issues with power consumption and the scanning altitude indicator, and the addition of MetalOre from EPL.

ChangeLog:

Version 14.6 - 2016-1-15
------------------------

- Fix Kopernicus compatibility (Thanks ThomasKerman)
- Allow mouse-over info and overlay tooltips to fall back to low resolution resource data in some cases
- Add a warning when stock resource scanning is disabled without having Module Manager installed
- Fixed some issues affecting scanner power usage and scanning altitude indicators
- Allow for included contracts to be disabled through the ScanSatOfficial Contract Type (Thanks DBT85)
- Fix a bug that was preventing loading of the color config file when additional planets are installed
- Add MetalOre as a SCANsat resource and MetalOre scanner modules to EPL scanner parts

Hello DMagic,

First thanks for your job.

I've done the update just now through ckan. I think there a thing there. On loading my game, I've lost the only one ScanSat Contract I have active (Mun biome scan). I tried to decline many contracts in available ones but after at least 50 declines, I did not get any new ScanSat contract showing up.

Have a nice day.

Vive_moi

Edit: Precision: it was the only mod update I have done between my save yesterday and my game loading today.

Edited by Vive_moi

Hi, I've the same issue as Vive_moi, I had 2 contracts for scansat which all failed on launching after installing this and no furter contracts have appeared.

I'll also add 1 contract did remain, a scan of minmus which I hadn't started yet, but the mun and kerbin ones both failed.

Edited by narvster
More accurate info

I have a fear that this is due to the change he made for me which worked fine when I tested it but now it seems to be upsetting things. Grrrr.

Investigating!

EDIT: Yep, the CONTRACT_TYPE:ScanSatOfficial line is what's borking everything up. I'll make the changes and a pull request.

Sorry DM.

EDIT: Pull requests made to fix the missions. Asking @nightingale if there's a different option.

Edited by DBT85

7 hours ago, Ixenzo said:

Is there a point in using LQ scanner after unlocking the HQ one? Other than science points, I mean?

Not really, I think a lot of people just start putting both sensors on probes once they have them unlocked. If you aren't concerned with getting into an ideal scanning orbit for the hi res sensor that works, but otherwise there isn't much point in doing a lo res scan after the hi res scan.

Any others bugs popping up in the new version? I'll probably update again later today to fix the contract issues if nothing comes up. If you want to fix it yourself for now just delete the :ScanSatOfficial line at the top of each contract config (it should read CONTRACT_TYPE instead of CONTRACT_TYPE:ScanSatOfficial).

I was having contracts active for low resolution scan 75% for mun and minimus and 85% for Kerbin before version 14.6.
After install of 14.6. active contracts were failed for some reason. I got different kind of contracts for placing satellite in various orbits but not scaning contacts.

Is that the same issues like others reported earlier ?

4 hours ago, kcs123 said:

I was having contracts active for low resolution scan 75% for mun and minimus and 85% for Kerbin before version 14.6.
After install of 14.6. active contracts were failed for some reason. I got different kind of contracts for placing satellite in various orbits but not scaning contacts.

Is that the same issues like others reported earlier ?

Yep. The update should allow for new contracts to be generated, but it won't do anything about cancelled or deleted contracts if you have already installed 14.6. For anyone coming from 14.5 there shouldn't be any problems with contracts.

Three contracts generated for LQ, HQ and Biome scan of Moho. I planned on accepting them all but after accepting the first one (HQ), the two left didn't have accept/decline buttons. I re-entered Mission Control and LQ and Biome contracts were gone. This never happened before (v 14.7).