• Asteroidal Resources
    • Asteroid Utilities
    • Asteroid Repurpose Systems
    • Asteroid Recycling Technologies
    • Asteroid Harvesting Tools
    • Asteroid Utilization Pack
    • Mineable Asteroids
    • Asteroid Kerbalization System

So some updates, now that I had a good evening to work on this.

The mechanics will work as follows.

A probe may be attached to an asteroid, which will determine it's makeup. This is MM friendly, and is intended to be modded. Out of the box includes MKS, Karbonite, and Kethane - feel free to add/remove as you see fit. Part of this analysis will also include resource density, defined in terms of how much raw material (rock) has to be processed to extract a single unit. This could be less than ten, or up to 300 based on the material.

The Jaw is then attached to the asteroid to begin the rock harvesting. Along the way it will hollow out the asteroid, leaving the void filled with the rock. This rock may either be jettisoned to clear space, or may be procesed via a new separator part.

The separator, which is resource specific, can take rock and extract resources based on the ratios established by the probe. Not all asteroids will have all resources, and range as well as density will have high variability.

Lastly, the hollowed out asteroid can be fitted with tanks to facilitate configurable storage, or even a crew quarters compartment.

And of course you can always fill the asteroids with goodies then throw it into a suborbital trajectory to Kerbin where it can be recovered for profit ;)

So some updates, now that I had a good evening to work on this.

The mechanics will work as follows.

A probe may be attached to an asteroid, which will determine it's makeup. This is MM friendly, and is intended to be modded. Out of the box includes MKS, Karbonite, and Kethane - feel free to add/remove as you see fit. Part of this analysis will also include resource density, defined in terms of how much raw material (rock) has to be processed to extract a single unit. This could be less than ten, or up to 300 based on the material.

The Jaw is then attached to the asteroid to begin the rock harvesting. Along the way it will hollow out the asteroid, leaving the void filled with the rock. This rock may either be jettisoned to clear space, or may be procesed via a new separator part.

The separator, which is resource specific, can take rock and extract resources based on the ratios established by the probe. Not all asteroids will have all resources, and range as well as density will have high variability.

Lastly, the hollowed out asteroid can be fitted with tanks to facilitate configurable storage, or even a crew quarters compartment.

And of course you can always fill the asteroids with goodies then throw it into a suborbital trajectory to Kerbin where it can be recovered for profit ;)

My eagerness is hard to contain.

I think I'm on the downhill slide on this one as, after a fairly entertaining night, both probe analysis and the initial asteroid mining are all working in 0.24.4

All I have left to do is:

- Test/refactor the reconfigurable tank hatches and add a few more demos.

- Make sure the crew hatch does not explode

- Implement the separators.. which are just stock generators, except their rate will be variable

So yeah, release this week.

So even with the updated firespitter.dll that says it has 24.2 compatibility I still get this null ref chain repeating with the fuel claw things:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Firespitter.customization.FSfuelSwitch.updateResourcePersistence () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Firespitter.customization.FSfuelSwitch.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I got the update from here: http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/220252-firespitter which specifically mentions 24.2 as the compatible version.

So even with the updated firespitter.dll that says it has 24.2 compatibility I still get this null ref chain repeating with the fuel claw things:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Firespitter.customization.FSfuelSwitch.updateResourcePersistence () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Firespitter.customization.FSfuelSwitch.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

I got the update from here: http://www.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal/220252-firespitter which specifically mentions 24.2 as the compatible version.

Because I have not yet uploaded a new version ;)

Treat the current download as if it is filled with ants. Or bees. Take your pick.

On the cusp of having the new version ready anyway, probably a solid day if I didn't have to work.

Absolutely loving this mod, but I have run into a slightly annoying issue. I captured an asteroid, which I am aiming to turn into a fuel depot while I am waiting on a full release of the mod. I started hollowing it out and got enough space to store all of the fuel I had left over on the capture craft, which came to just about 6400 total space. I left the asteroid (and in fact the game for the night) to begin working on a propulsion rocket block so I can maneuver it into a better position. When I went back to the asteroid, all of the fuel and ox were still in the asteroid, but the max value had been reset to 0 and the available units had been zeroed out as well. I am glad the fuel is still present, but I am very concerned that I the max value went to 0, because any further increases start at 0 instead of going back to the correct number. I have tried to edit the persistent.sfs file to fix it back, but I guess I didn't quite understand the currentAmounts = (2615.866, 3200, 3200, 3200), I know that the first number is the amount that is actually in the tank, but I am not sure about the other 3. I have a shot of the problem...

y4qYXKk.png

Heya

Will check out the behavior in the new code base as it has some pretty significant changes, and there were some persistence changes to the fields you're having issues with.

Thanks for the info!

another thing I noticed looking at that pic, my engine is not pulling from them for fuel, hence the 0 delta-v. Not sure what that is about, since the whole thing should count as a single ship. It will work well as a depot, but I may have to finagle something together to get my engines to work :(

another thing I noticed looking at that pic, my engine is not pulling from them for fuel, hence the 0 delta-v. Not sure what that is about, since the whole thing should count as a single ship. It will work well as a depot, but I may have to finagle something together to get my engines to work :(

Yeah I don't think asteroids are crossfeed ;)

Very likely due to how KSP handles liquid fuel as a resource. On a related note, this will soon be a non issue as there will be a native mass driver to go with this - either at release or darn close.

Yeah I don't think asteroids are crossfeed ;)

Very likely due to how KSP handles liquid fuel as a resource. On a related note, this will soon be a non issue as there will be a native mass driver to go with this - either at release or darn close.

The Klaw is not crossfeed . Asteroids are :D At least as far as i read in another thread.

The Klaw is not crossfeed . Asteroids are :D At least as far as i read in another thread.

I'll phrase it a different way... I don't think asteroids are considered in the same stack for purposes of LFO transfers.

Roverdude,

Any chance of MKS modules buried into asteroids? I'm thinking of using Hollow Asteroids, together with BA's Joolian asteroids to colonize the Joolian asteroids

Roverdude,

Any chance of MKS modules buried into asteroids? I'm thinking of using Hollow Asteroids, together with BA's Joolian asteroids to colonize the Joolian asteroids

Not at launch, this is meant to be a stand alone but extensible project. But once my plate clears a bit it's something to consider.

Side note - one nice use would be to fill asteroids full of expensive stuff, de-orbit, and recover for cash :)

Sounds good, I suppose in the mean time I can dig the Kerbal's homes into the asteroids, and put MKS on top. Though, that is still a long way off, as I've got a second Kerbin station, a Mun base, and a Duna colony to build first

Sounds good, I suppose in the mean time I can dig the Kerbal's homes into the asteroids, and put MKS on top. Though, that is still a long way off, as I've got a second Kerbin station, a Mun base, and a Duna colony to build first

That's what I'd do.

Absolutely loving this mod, but I have run into a slightly annoying issue. I captured an asteroid, which I am aiming to turn into a fuel depot while I am waiting on a full release of the mod. I started hollowing it out and got enough space to store all of the fuel I had left over on the capture craft, which came to just about 6400 total space. I left the asteroid (and in fact the game for the night) to begin working on a propulsion rocket block so I can maneuver it into a better position. When I went back to the asteroid, all of the fuel and ox were still in the asteroid, but the max value had been reset to 0 and the available units had been zeroed out as well. I am glad the fuel is still present, but I am very concerned that I the max value went to 0, because any further increases start at 0 instead of going back to the correct number. I have tried to edit the persistent.sfs file to fix it back, but I guess I didn't quite understand the currentAmounts = (2615.866, 3200, 3200, 3200), I know that the first number is the amount that is actually in the tank, but I am not sure about the other 3. I have a shot of the problem...

http://i.imgur.com/y4qYXKk.png

Could you tell me from what mod do these trusses are? The ones on which docking washers sit. Thanks.