[1.2.x] Part Angle Display - including seamless, highly accurate rotation v0.3.2.4

Padishar

Also FYI you're targeting not-3.5. Might want to fix that. KSP wants its assemblies targeting .NET 3.5.

Doh! I could've sworn I'd set that correctly. Oh well, 0.2.4.0 released targeting .NET 3.5

Thanks for letting me know...

Can You please change hardcoded default of 0.0 degrees to something more sane, say 22.5 degrees, or - better - make it configurable?

I'm already tired to fill those three numbers every freakin' time I re-launch my 0.23.5 (will stay "outdated" till they'll fix known bugs) KSP.

Can You please change hardcoded default of 0.0 degrees to something more sane, say 22.5 degrees, or - better - make it configurable?

I'm already tired to fill those three numbers every freakin' time I re-launch my 0.23.5 (will stay "outdated" till they'll fix known bugs) KSP.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I'm currently considering how best to add persistent settings and, once I do, this will be one of the things that gets saved...

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I'm currently considering how best to add persistent settings and, once I do, this will be one of the things that gets saved...

I've just released version 0.2.4.2 which is built against KSP 0.24.2 and now saves and loads the settings (window position, visibility and the controls in the window).

It uses whichever modifier key you have configured in KSP. I think this defaults differently in Linux...

Yea. I keep forgetting it's different. I see the README's and just go from there. FYI in linux it's Right-Shift.

Hi, is there any way this mod could be re-purposed to allow you to set the angle of strutting?

As in, allow the user to say "This strut projects out at 90deg perpendicular to the part it attaches to".

Seems to me that you have the bit that works out the angles, you would just need some method of manipulating the struts.

Hi, is there any way this mod could be re-purposed to allow you to set the angle of strutting?

As in, allow the user to say "This strut projects out at 90deg perpendicular to the part it attaches to".

Seems to me that you have the bit that works out the angles, you would just need some method of manipulating the struts.

It's very difficult to say without taking a very close look at how struts actually work in the editor. The end you place first is the actual "part" that is being surface attached (and can be rotated using this mod though there isn't a lot of point) and then the VAB/SPH is doing something special to drag the other end out and attach it to another part.

This mod is only (currently) capable of rotating a part that is selected (picked up by the mouse) and when you select a strut the connecting bit disappears and you are just dragging the end you place first so it would definitely need special handling.

I can see the attraction of being able to position struts more accurately but I think this should probably be done as an "angle snap" while dragging the second end of the strut and I am unlikely to even look at adding it to this mod in the foreseeable future...

Struts are nothing but a location and an angle.

However, that doesn't solve the issue of "how to edit the angle after the strut is placed, and is no longer picked up."

Well, you could do it via Action Group editor? There you can select parts without having them be picked up and detached...

Actually, I really like that idea generally--it would allow you to edit orientation of parts without picking them up, which is great for parts that are very hard to place precisely.

However, that doesn't solve the issue of "how to edit the angle after the strut is placed, and is no longer picked up."

Well, you could do it via Action Group editor? There you can select parts without having them be picked up and detached...

Actually, I really like that idea generally--it would allow you to edit orientation of parts without picking them up, which is great for parts that are very hard to place precisely.

Yes, this was mentioned early on in the thread about changes to the workflow. The trouble is the EditorLogic.partRotation member only "works" with a picked up part. I would have to work out how to apply the rotation to a part that is already attached and this would probably totally sidestep the clipping checks. Probably doable but may take quite some working out...

That would be a workable solution methinks.

Apologies for hijacking your thread, I can quite understand your reluctance to break new ground, but hopefully this may spur someone on to create such a mod.

FYI, I already have a mod request thread open here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88380-Editor-tool-Parallel-Perpendicular-struts

I think this clashes with kerbpaint, as it uses mod + p too I think

Yes, it does. However, you can easily change the keyboard shortcut this mod uses in the settings file (you just need to find out the numeric KeyCode of the key you want to use).

It would be terrific to have an angle lock for specific axis but now when I press rotate x, y or z , the other two rotate too, doesn't matter which combination of buttons or keys I try. This is horrible and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but I sure hope it will change. Right now I'm trying to align my piston rod to a big end and I'm very frustrated indeed.

Or maybe I just don't understand how it works. Any insights, please?

It would be terrific to have an angle lock for specific axis but now when I press rotate x, y or z , the other two rotate too, doesn't matter which combination of buttons or keys I try. This is horrible and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but I sure hope it will change. Right now I'm trying to align my piston rod to a big end and I'm very frustrated indeed.

Or maybe I just don't understand how it works. Any insights, please?

Well, I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do but if you are basically trying to align two things by eye then "part relative" mode will probably be much more useful as it makes the part rotate around its own pitch, yaw and roll axes rather than the ones that are fixed to the orientation of the VAB. Some pictures of what you are trying to do might help...

While I do use Editor Extensions, I don't very often switch between the two modes so it is possible (though I think it unlikely) that this mod does something wrong when you are in the "wrong" mode for the building you are actually in. I'll give it a bit of a test and fix any issues there may be...

Edit: Yes, there are definitely problems with the yaw and roll controls when you use Editor Extensions to switch into the "wrong" editing mode (e.g. SPH editing in VAB or VAB editing in SPH). Should be pretty easy to fix...

Edited by Padishar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.