[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

@Beale: Perfect compromise. :) For that alternate, could the tank in the base be beige? It'd be the LK's colorful cousin... Also, where is the Fleur de lis hidden on the current LK? o.O

From what I recall, you're waiting to finish Kliper until 1.0 for aero improvements. Right?

Are you planning a heatshield with legs for PPTS, and is there any reason why Fuji and PPTS couldn't share a heat shield to cut down on part counts? (Both 2.5m and all that...) Personally, I usually clip legs into the Fuji to deploy through the heatshield on touchdown. I'd kill for a heatshield with stubby little legs with some good shock absorption.

Alternate: Yeah sure, the picture above was a ~ 1 minute recolour, I think the Green LK would have the same fuel tank colour as the default, or close.

Kliper and PPTS: After my Thesis is done now, as it seems 1.0 will arrive a lot sooner than though.

1.0 will mean everything will need rebalancing AFAIK, more or less. So that'll be the most pressing concern over Kliper/PPTS

PPTS Legs: Yep it will have the integrated landing system. This is a pretty darn good example of how they will work.

I would really like to see ESA launchers as well, specially in a similar visual stockalike style of Tantares... (then one would have a proper launcher to the Tantares ATV :D) There is a ESA modpack but it has like really good textures, like the real thing.

I would love to do the modelling part myself, but I need a bit more practice...

Arianne rocket is mainly due to lack of much interest in ESA rockets (I know it doesn't make much sense).

Fleur: It was one of the rejected dish designs you were never meant to see! :)

Antares, I think the stock tanks make a pretty nice approximation, but I haven't really made any replicas (Usually launch a Cygnus on a Soyuz rocket).

Actually the Antares could be a maybe, as it is fairly simple, but the Arianne is a bit too heavy for me. :)

Edited by Beale

Not sure if this has already been suggested, but could the LK landing frame be split so that it can work like it would have IRL?

I'd like to see this too and have badgered Beale about it in the past. There was an experimental LK release that worked like the real thing, but as tg626 said the separation was erratic. My own limited attempts at making a two-stage version of the LK worked but they aren't historically accurate at all.

Talking about alternate textures, I wonder if you plan to do white / beige textures for the salyut / TKS parts, that would be amazing :D I know you're fond of grey ( Tantares - fifty shades of grey ) but I really really appreciate the white textures you did for the ALV II :)

( the little joke with fifty shades was only about the colour, I didn't mean to be rude against grey textures, they are great too :) )

Edited by spacecookie

Haha! :D Oh dear' date=' definitely something our female kerbals in 1.0 will no doubt be smuggling onboard and reading during long missions.[/quote']

Ehm, guys... That's really close to violating the rules, if not to say already. I'm not against some humour, but don't go too far.

Ehm, guys... That's really close to violating the rules, if not to say already. I'm not against some humour, but don't go too far.

No worries, at least from me. I meant no harm by it, we all need a little humour but not to the point it gets horribly off-rails and lame. :)

Anyways, back to topic. I built my new ship with that new capsule and it came out sweet, will have to create my own Imgur account to post the pics sometime.

Now.. about the issues I've had so far which seem to be still lingering about: Those LK landing legs for start, apart from retracting without animation they seem to also want to yank off my ship every time I land (they move from side to side), an anomaly I don't see with stock's legs and then there's the usual docking port shrunkage. :P

Beale, I was wondering if it's possible to somehow remove shine from part. Because, to be honest, shiny green Tantares looks like shiny green metallic Tantares, not like green thermal blanket-covered Tantares. Tantares.

Maybe some config edits? Or module manager config bundled with alternative textures?

Tantares.

Man, PPTS. I still can't get behind that... thing. Doesn't appeal to me as an engineer or a space geek. Just doesn't "ring" right, y'know? Nothing you've done wrong of course (my issue is with the real thing), it's just an odd duck.

Your new Mir stuff though? That looks sharp. Same with the Soyuz IVA. Keep it up!

No worries' date=' at least from me. I meant no harm by it, we all need a little humour but not to the point it gets horribly off-rails and lame. :)

Anyways, back to topic. I built my new ship with that new capsule and it came out sweet, will have to create my own Imgur account to post the pics sometime.

Now.. about the issues I've had so far which seem to be still lingering about: Those LK landing legs for start, apart from retracting without animation they seem to also want to yank off my ship every time I land (they move from side to side), an anomaly I don't see with stock's legs and then there's the usual docking port shrunkage. :P[/quote']

I got an issue that reminds yours with the LK legs, they retract everytime I speed up the time ! Now I got probes on mun that got their landing legs retracted and no electric charge left to open them back :sticktongue:

Like you, I want to point that I didn't want to be awkward in my words or offensive to women at all.. My apologizes.

Now I've thought about something while writing about my munar probes..

When will we see one of those guys ? :D

Lunokhod1.jpg

I fell in love with those cosmic bathtubes..

Beale, I was wondering if it's possible to somehow remove shine from part. Because, to be honest, shiny green Tantares looks like shiny green metallic Tantares, not like green thermal blanket-covered Tantares. Tantares.

Maybe some config edits? Or module manager config bundled with alternative textures?

Tantares.

Unfortunately, this changes are made on model itself in Unity, so MM patches/alt textures won't change that.

Alternate: Yeah sure, the picture above was a ~ 1 minute recolour, I think the Green LK would have the same fuel tank colour as the default, or close.

Kliper and PPTS: After my Thesis is done now, as it seems 1.0 will arrive a lot sooner than though.

1.0 will mean everything will need rebalancing AFAIK, more or less. So that'll be the most pressing concern over Kliper/PPTS

PPTS Legs: Yep it will have the integrated landing system. This is a pretty darn good example of how they will work.

Arianne rocket is mainly due to lack of much interest in ESA rockets (I know it doesn't make much sense).

Fleur: It was one of the rejected dish designs you were never meant to see! :)

Antares, I think the stock tanks make a pretty nice approximation, but I haven't really made any replicas (Usually launch a Cygnus on a Soyuz rocket).

Actually the Antares could be a maybe, as it is fairly simple, but the Arianne is a bit too heavy for me. :)

I like the Ariane, it's probably the prettiest heavy launcher currently used. Again, I am too young to model or texture, though I can do the config side of things.

I'm also planning for a big mod for which I'm starting the thread for shortly that could have the Ariane and this thing, it'll basically be a CMES-like thing for manned interplanetary travel, (But stockalike!)

Tantares.

Unfortunately, this changes are made on model itself in Unity, so MM patches/alt textures won't change that.

It is possible! :)

I can reduce the specular map on the Green texture, and it won't be shiny any more!

But!

It was never really meant to be a thermal-blanket design. More a bare-metal like this museum-piece "Naked Soyuz".

1ac0dd6d08.jpg

I got an issue that reminds yours with the LK legs, they retract everytime I speed up the time ! Now I got probes on mun that got their landing legs retracted and no electric charge left to open them back :sticktongue:

Like you, I want to point that I didn't want to be awkward in my words or offensive to women at all.. My apologizes.

Now I've thought about something while writing about my munar probes..

When will we see one of those guys ? :D

http://selena.sai.msu.ru/Home/Spacecrafts/Lunokhod1/Lunokhod1.jpg

I fell in love with those cosmic bathtubes..

LK Legs, I'd like to fix, but I need a bit of free-time first :)

Lunokhod I could at some point, I'd prefer to wait until the wheel logic is overhauled.

Hey Beale, are you gonna add a Fregat stage to your collection?

You already have a Block D for the N1 missions, but i haven't seen any Fregat models.

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/f/fregat.jpg

http://www.astronautix.com/stages/fregat.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fregat

Yes!

But, not for a while :)

I like the Ariane, it's probably the prettiest heavy launcher currently used. Again, I am too young to model or texture, though I can do the config side of things.

Too young to model or texture? That's plain wrong! Don't be so downhearted.

Download Wings3D, start to play around and experiment. I promise you in a week you'll be able to model a pretty decent Ariane.

Textures are difficult, but there are many sources for open source material, I don't have artistic skills, but can make textures just with tried and tested methodology, practice practice practice!

This forum has one of the most helpful development sections around, if you get stuck there are plenty of people who will be there to lend some advice.

So, I would say, give it a shot! :)

Misc Misc Misc

Though I have developed little recently, I'll try and get a patch out tonight to fix some balancing with the KIS, remove RO MMs and include alternate LK textures. So keep a listen, ya hear?

Edited by Beale

Download Wings3D, start to play around and experiment. I promise you in a week you'll be able to model a pretty decent Ariane.

Textures are difficult, but there are many sources for open source material, I don't have artistic skills, but can make textures just with tried and tested methodology, practice practice practice!

This forum has one of the most helpful development sections around, if you get stuck there are plenty of people who will be there to lend some advice.

Ooh! I will probably start messing with that (Unfortunately I will have only 30 or so total hours on my PC when I get back, I have school this week and I go on a trip again next Saturday for another week :P the one I'm currently on was, well.. unexpected). Could you maybe help texture though? I see that you do that a lot for other people.

Also, I have no idea how to port to Unity or do anything. I may need help. Nvm didn't notice your tutorial

I've started the thread. It might be able to be an expansion or something for this, considering that it fills all the gaps in your mod.

Edited by _Augustus_

I'm also planning for a big mod for which I'm starting the thread for shortly that could have the Ariane and this thing, it'll basically be a CMES-like thing for manned interplanetary travel, (But stockalike!)

Are you planning to do the Vega launcher as well?

That tutorial is quite good... went through it yesterday... got bit carried away as I have modelled 2/3's of Vega by now... could use some advice in the near future though

Vega_showoff_zpsrvefrrqv.png

Hey this seems relevant - my copy of Russia in Space by Anatoly Zak came today! The art is fabulous, and it really is an impressively comprehensive history of the events and decisions that went into the Russian space program.

Also I had an idea, for the Progress-alike you should make the orbital module and refueling module just one part. No offense, but the Hamal "probe core" looks really ugly, because its based on less-than-accurate depictions of Progress without it's thermal blankets.

Are you planning to do the Vega launcher as well?

That tutorial is quite good... went through it yesterday... got bit carried away as I have modelled 2/3's of Vega by now... could use some advice in the near future though

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/taniel0401/Vega_showoff_zpsrvefrrqv.png

Nice job on the Vega! :)

But you should take a look into using hard and soft edges! (To make the cylinders and nozzles "smooth").

Apart from that it's a mean machine.

Hey this seems relevant - my copy of Russia in Space by Anatoly Zak came today! The art is fabulous, and it really is an impressively comprehensive history of the events and decisions that went into the Russian space program.

Also I had an idea, for the Progress-alike you should make the orbital module and refueling module just one part. No offense, but the Hamal "probe core" looks really ugly, because its based on less-than-accurate depictions of Progress without it's thermal blankets.

Thanks for the book recommendation! :)

Progress:

I'm quite fond of the "bare-metal" thing it has going on at the moment, but, I could make a more "modern" Progress.

I made this not too long ago, which is basically a Soyuz capsule de-window-lized.

2dab0414d6.jpg

I guess you mean something like this?

9098aaae0b.jpg

I have to say the IRL Progress is noticeably "neckless", that is something I'd like to reproduce (Why I made those battery packs).

I guess you mean something like this?

Yes! I just thought, the Progress orbital module seemed like a copy of the Tantares OM, and the probe core doesn't carry any fuel, like the refueling module does, but combined you could have a nice little resupply vehicle part that carries 1 or 2 tonnes of all the basics - food, water, supplies, fuel. Like how Progress is in real life!