[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Well all of those things seem necessary, and as for a location...

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/images/d/d4/KerbinCraterElevation.jpg

What about the little island in the centre of the crater? That'd be awesome!

The crater is quite a good location actually, very far up in the list of potential sites (It's pretty equatorial too!).

I have a couple of ideas:

http://cs628424.vk.me/v628424511/775a/OtCYypsOcI8.jpg

As I've said earlier, I'm free now, so I can try making configs for launch sites there. :)

I really like the "New Zealand" down there!

fcd6d1895a.jpg

Sure, it is for orbits at a strange inclination, but presents an interesting challenge maybe :)

On configs, that would be really cool! When I have the models ready to go.

If you're going to make KK launch sites, I've always thought it would be cool to have alternate pads as KSC. Maybe one like Antares's pad at Wallops, and a Titan II inspired pad with a large erector tower, and some other ones too!

I'm torn a little between making specific models for a bespoke launch site (Like Kosmodrome) or generic models that could be used to "craft" a launch centre anywhere (like - are there any mods like this?).

But, nice ideas. :)

The Nerva, fuel line - chunkier supports.

2f44d072b1.jpg

Eh, this update is becoming quite large, much wider scope than just the Vostok apparently...

1d2e4154fc.jpg

Edited by Beale

Anywho, how serious are you about making launch sites? That's not something anyone's ever done before, eh? Including new launch sites specifically for their parts mod?

Eh... why not, should not be too complex. But, it would not be part of Tantares.

There are these old things, also - free for "donation" if anybody would like to run and create a Mun-Base mod.

234f6f5a5e.jpg

Many thanks.

Thanks!

To answer both your questions on textures, I'm using my own textures here, with the stock textures as reference (so no dependencies, etc).

Actually it differs from stock, which uses normal maps (Which is kind of pointless for their appearance IMHO)

You can (arguably) get comparable results to a bump map with the specular map alone.

http://puu.sh/iCwVN/bab01546c4.jpg

Thanks!

The KK stuff, I'm still figuring out what is needed for a (modest) launch facility - as well as where on Kerbin would be best to place it.

Baseline:

• VAB
  • Launchpad
  • Communication (Concrete block with radio tower)
  • (Generic) Housing
  • (Generic) Lights, Boxes, Building greeble.
  • (Generic) Bunker / Controls building, etc.

You know.... there is a Kerbalized Baikonur for Kerbal Konstructs:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/95198-0-24-2-Kosmodrome-Space-Centre-V0-9-%281-10-2014%29

But it needs more testpads.....

You know.... there is a Kerbalized Baikonur for Kerbal Konstructs:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/95198-0-24-2-Kosmodrome-Space-Centre-V0-9-%281-10-2014%29

But it needs more testpads.....

Aaah yes, of course! This is a classic mod, many happy trailers for Tantares made here :wink:

I'm not planning anything near on this scale, maybe a dirt airstrip alongside launchpad if I go crazy!

The VAB itself, I am modelling - not enough to show yet... but, it's large enough to hold a black prince (Atleast via the exterior, IIRC KK does not impose constraints on the size of vehicles yet).

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b7/a5/b5/b7a5b5d9a27386d1f9024c71f92584b4.jpg

Also can I ask how much will be Big G's crew capaciity? It really looks perfect to become the most useful craft in my space program.

Take deep breath now :wink:

Capacity: I'm thinking 4... maybe?

Fills the need for a 6 Kerbal vehicle before I can produce PPTS.

I'm looking forward ! :D

I'm glad! :)

Edited by Beale

Progress is important I suppose. I vastly preferred the old mono tanks, they were probably my favorite looking parts in the whole pack...

It's a fair preference - that's true.

Basically I changed them because the old models were too similar to the Salyut Mono tanks (in fact, they were the identical model).

I'll be remodeling the Salyut tanks too, but with a "cross" holder (like currently) to show difference.

Really bad mockup:

815b421e28.jpg

Edit: Unless you meant the TKS mono tanks :sealed:

AB Launchers released!

See signature, check it out if interested! :)

Very Early -

But, here is a rough work-in-progress of VAB.

c91e1db331.jpg

Edited by Beale

Unless you meant the TKS mono tanks

(Edit - not sure why my quote is broken...)

I did in fact mean the TKS tanks. Seriously I have to talk myself out of using them on every single craft I make just because they look so cool. :)

Behold the [sFS] Kleptomaniac!

BlwhsPM.png

Not a single stacked fuel tank, just 8 radials! Those lines... so straight...

I think four is the perfect capacity for the Big G.

I would have gone 5 - 2 in the little G and 3 on the back extension simply based on volume (assuming that the extension takes you to 2.5m diameter) but seriously any good looking part with more than 3 crew is a bonus (In not crazy about the near future or space y capsules just for looks)

Any chance of a heatsheild/docking ring part so we can get big G docking in the right direction?

I've finally gotten an animated part in game.

Soyuz IGLA Receiving Antenna

4ln0NKT.gif

Not sure I like the look of the base, and the look of the animation in reverse. Subject to change. The texture is from the LK_LFO_A sheet, so it doesn't require a texture. I'll leave it to you guys to guess where I grabbed the yellow color from on the texture sheet. I'll be creating another for the front end with a different boom arm and stowage/deployment animation.

I've started a dev thread for my own work here!.

I'm tentatively establishing my work under the "Q Orbital Systems" (QOS) brand. It'll be drawing a lot from Tantares in terms of style, though likely not enough to be a "Tantares+++." I'd like for it to stand on it's own two feet someday and not use Beale's work as a crutch. Nothing is released, it's all WIP. If you dig Tantares, you should dig this stuff.

Also WIP:

R1nSePnl.png

Take a guess...

Many thanks to Beale for the tutorials, others in the Modeling & Texturing forum for the help and advice.

It's... so beautiful...

Thanks!

... more.

f23bc95448.jpg

Unless you meant the TKS mono tanks

(Edit - not sure why my quote is broken...)

I did in fact mean the TKS tanks. Seriously I have to talk myself out of using them on every single craft I make just because they look so cool. :)

Behold the [sFS] Kleptomaniac!

http://i.imgur.com/BlwhsPM.png

Not a single stacked fuel tank, just 8 radials! Those lines... so straight...

No worries, the model remains the same.

I think four is the perfect capacity for the Big G.
I would have gone 5 - 2 in the little G and 3 on the back extension simply based on volume (assuming that the extension takes you to 2.5m diameter) but seriously any good looking part with more than 3 crew is a bonus (In not crazy about the near future or space y capsules just for looks)

Any chance of a heatsheild/docking ring part so we can get big G docking in the right direction?

5 - 6, whatever will work best.

Big-G service module... it would be huge. I would like to do it at some point, but not easy. The Big_G part does however have a heatshield :)

Maybe 3.75m diameter? What's the launcher?

d0cc4f6a23.jpg

I've finally gotten an animated part in game.

Soyuz IGLA Receiving Antenna

http://i.imgur.com/4ln0NKT.gif

Not sure I like the look of the base, and the look of the animation in reverse. Subject to change. The texture is from the LK_LFO_A sheet, so it doesn't require a texture. I'll leave it to you guys to guess where I grabbed the yellow color from on the texture sheet. I'll be creating another for the front end with a different boom arm and stowage/deployment animation.

I've started a dev thread for my own work here!.

I'm tentatively establishing my work under the "Q Orbital Systems" (QOS) brand. It'll be drawing a lot from Tantares in terms of style, though likely not enough to be a "Tantares+++." I'd like for it to stand on it's own two feet someday and not use Beale's work as a crutch. Nothing is released, it's all WIP. If you dig Tantares, you should dig this stuff.

Also WIP:

http://i.imgur.com/R1nSePnl.png

Take a guess...

Many thanks to Beale for the tutorials, others in the Modeling & Texturing forum for the help and advice.

Animation is so nice :)

Glad tutorials are helpful, will follow thread closely!

5 - 6, whatever will work best.

Big-G service module... it would be huge. I would like to do it at some point, but not easy. The Big_G part does however have a heatshield :)

Maybe 3.75m diameter? What's the launcher?

bigcutaw.jpg

There is actually two configs - one is for Titan III and the second is for Saturn IB or V:

bigaltcf.jpg

Not so huge, I think - it would be about the size of stock 2.5-3.75m adapter (Saturn version; Titan version can possibly be done with stock or other parts, except maybe retro pack)

We need two parts, though - a small 2.5m retro pack (attached to capsule) and the cargo module itself, with some space for retro pack and built-in decoupler on 2.5m side. Functions as a KIS container and as a LF\OX\Mono tank. You can place docking port (1.25m standard, you can use Tantares adapters to get 0.9 or 0.625) on 3.75m side, along with some engines (I can't find any info on engine placement, though)

*an unknown hatch opens and T'Flok floats out of it* Oh, wow. I like all the new upcoming stuff, Beale! Big G will give me enough reason to build something new with Gemini but I've been mainly waiting for the Vostok revamp and the atomic engine. :D

I'm so excited for the Big-G! Gemini is definitely my favorite NASA program. If you're going down the road of what-if crafts, General Electric's Apollo D-2 is interesting... :wink:

sdwg17ani.jpg

It was GE's proposal for the Apollo CM. The Soyuz follows the same principle with attachable, customizable mission modules onto a standard reentry capsule. It had more internal volume and would have supposedly been cheaper than the NASA design, yet NASA eventually went forward with theirs.

Also, I might have found a bug with the "prosper" probe. I was making an RT network using the new "prosper", and it seems that the modeled-in solar panels act directionally, no matter the actual in-game sun exposure (only one side of the model actually generates electricity). The exposure % peaks at one certain angle, then tapers off when rotating in either direction away from that angle. I'm not aware if you already knew about this or not.

Edited by schoff123

Just playing about with an "advanced" Gemini configuration the Air Force came up with during a spitball session.

GfW2acG.png

v5NweSy.png

Sort of a Gemini on its way to Apollo, after getting distracted by Soyuz. :D

Of course, the Air Force lads had it fitted out as a tactical orbital weapons platform. Mine just sails along peacefully, content in its toothless state. Unless I accidentally bash into something...

Edited by Jack Wolfe