Why do you play KSP?

suclearnub

I like making things that do stuff. Doing stuff by itself is okay (action games), making stuff is okay (Simcity & Civ-type games), but making things and then doing stuff with them is the best.

I enjoy the sheer freedom of the game. There is no strict or linear way to play it, it's all up to you to set your goals and decide how you are going to succeed. It also still blows my mind that I can land literally anywhere on any world in the game.

I like making things that do stuff. Doing stuff by itself is okay (action games), making stuff is okay (Simcity & Civ-type games), but making things and then doing stuff with them is the best.

Seriously this. I do like a good open world game (GTA, Elder Scrolls series) but being able to create is the best part. And of course the space exploration aspect itself... Seeing something I created blasting a little green guy into orbit for the first time was all I needed to have a full blown addiction. It's a winning combination of themes I have to say.

Same reason as boa3532; I always liked space.

And playing Kerbal Space Programâ„¢ makes me feel like I'm smarter than my demographic's intended intelligence levels... well, at least I look smarter than most of my peers, whose definition of 'fun' is to knock down and break chairs.

Edited by Commissioner Tadpole
A Wild TYPO appeared!

As others have said: Being able to build something, and then play with it. Probably due to that first Lego set I got 35 years ago (my Kod, has it been that long?) It's also a nice change from my usual games which involve blowing other people up. Or stabbing them with lightsabers/katanas.

Because only KSP can make a Michael Bay movie style explosion into a scientific thing of awesome, and the sense of acomplishment in being able to build something that can travel through space, land on some other orbiting lump of spacerock, and return to where it started

Edited by Dat_Spacewaffle

Because it's an unscripted sandbox exploration game featuring hard sci-fi. While KSP's laws of Physics are a little messed up, things always obey them. So the experience is a lot more real to me than space games where you fly around like some kind of plane/boat and stop dead the instant you stop blasting fuel out the back of your absurdly efficient engines.

Also I have to work so hard to accomplish things that it feels like a big deal whenever I do, and unlike certain other games there aren't any (intentional) calamities that march in and smash your sandcastles just to bother you.

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept"

Because you can create anything you imagine, get it into any planet you'd like, then land it on top of a spiky mountain or a deep crater. I was looking for a game like this for alot of time, getting dissapointed every time i saw a promising game, but with sci-fi aircraft, instant stop every time you stop thrusting and random battles, and now that i found it i won't stop playing!

For the challange and I like space type games. What other game where you can a poor sod off on a 50+ year orbit around the solar system and still live? Or see the terrified expresions when something goes boom on their ship.

This, exactly. A spaceship Lego set where you can fly the spaceship to other planets after building it? Yes, please.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.