I'm terrified but I think it is time to do this....

moeggz

There seem to have been a lot of threads recently relating to the quick save feature.

And I must admit that while at first I used it only to undo bugs, I have since become addicted. I don't even pretend to be "simulating" any more I just quick save almost every minute. I have not lost a single Kerbal in my current save because of this. I know many people like playing this way, and that's cool. But I think it's time to take a step back. When .24 comes out my new career save will not include quick saving at all (wonder how difficult this will become with contracts). I don't know if this will be permanent, or a one update type of thing. I just feel like this will add more risk and therefore reward to the game. Hopefully make me plan and care a little more.

So does anyone have any suggestions/warnings for me?

And if anyone would like to join me I think it'd be cool to post on this when .25 comes out the total death tally from .24 to .25.

Join me on the dark side :cool:

I try not to use quicksaves too often, but I definitely do use them. Ok, I use it a LOT :blush:. But like the OP, I am thinking of forcing myself to forego using using it when I start a new career mode, but that may not be a while for me. I just unlocked the last tech tree node, and I still have a bunch of the Kerbol system to explore. Now if that dang docking bug would stop getting in my way :mad:, I discovered today that my space station in Kerbin orbit is completely plagued by it.

Ironically, yesterday I had a moment where using the quicksave turned out to nearly cause me disaster. I was landing a robotic lander/rover combo on the surface of Eve, and everything was going fine, until I hit the wrong key and sent the lander tumbling over just before touching down, so I hit F9 and reloaded to just after the chutes fully opened. The problem with this as I discovered, is that already open chutes seem to disappear when you load a quicksave, forcing me to perform a fully powered landing, using the very last fuel in the lander. After I landed I think I had all of 9m/s of deltaV left in it (starting from about 130m/s).

I usually minimize the times I quicksave :P.

Unless I'm on re-entry and mess up, so I have to go back.

But IRL ofcourse, if I ran a space program I wouldn't mess up because I'd simulate most possible outcomes and practice prior to the mission.

I am on my own side. I am quicksaving a fair bit, but I am not quickloading if the fail was due to my incorrect operation.

However, I will quickload if something went horrinly wrong and ship has been "rapidly unplannedly disassembled * " (RUD) due to lag spike or physics engine thinking I collided with runway 3k+ over the KSC.

As the game is pretty good now, more and more of us are just forgetting we are still beta testers. Beta means bugs are common and something can go horribly wrong. If you want to counter this fact, quicksave as you wish, but quickload only if you think that was a bug.

Also, I am a mod player. Not a lot of mods installed, but a bunch of them, including currently unstable branches. This also leads to some RUDs here and there. Quickload is a must here.

Exploded like a bloody hell disappearing in clouds of space kraken spores and debris went spinning violently all around the Mun base right after landing, destroying the whole base and killing 85% of its population due to lag spike from antivirus checking some files in background.

TL;DR:

I quicksave only for case of bugs, and nothing more. Operation fail is operation fail. Send rescue mission, or just cross the poor buggers out of docs.

Quicksave is a blessing and a curse at the same time. I've had stations randomly implode in agonizing slow motion for reasons still unknown, reload from the last quicksave, and find out that they are no longer 100% complete because the last quick save was from before the time that it was completed.

I always quicksave before aerobrakes, and landings on other planets. I rarely ever quicksave in the Kerbin system. I generally don't use it more than once per hour or so, depending on whether I'm designing a craft, flying rockets or flying an interplanetary mission.

I only quick save at important milestones in a mission. If you do it too often you might just end up saving something that was wrong due to a mistake you made a while back.

Edited by Seret

I think it is strange not to use quicksave at least to protect my work against software failures or stuff - personally I also use it to undo errors on my part, but to not use it to backup hours of work feels crazy. :cool:

Now that I think of it - could be fun to play a perma-death/destruction game, with more funds invested in test flights - now that I have one year of experience, which basically equals a master degree in space engineering, does it not?! :D

Quicksaves aren't a bad thing, especially not with a game that's prone to glitches (as KSP still is). It's unnecessary quickloading that you have to keep in check. Me, I quicksave a lot, but rarely ever quickload; pretty much only when a glitch ruins my day.

I have no problems quicksaving or quickloading. When I'm on larger mission, I not only quicksave, I have the save folder open and I give my quicksaves serial numbers and descriptive names so I can return to that part of the mission if needed.

I rarely need it but sometimes I do. I don't think it is possible to pull out horizontal landing on Tylo without extensive training and I don't think it is possible to pull out extensive training of horizontal landing on Tylo without quickloading.

In general there are things that I consider perfectly acceptable to solve using quickloads. For instance aerobraking. You either use aerobraking calculator as MechJeb, or you just run some "simulations". Now, MechJeb is not part of the stock game, while quicksave/quickload is. Since I don't use mods, I use tools that are available to me. Another example is spot landing a non-plane ship on atmospheric bodies.

On the other hand, with 0.23 I decided to run all my Career runs without reverts and without quickloads. I killed a few Kerbals gathering Kerbin science when I was playing tired but all my space missions went without casualties. Even some launch failures were no problem and I was able to save my crews, the only drawback was cleaning up the heap of debris created in the process. So for convenience, if I decide to play "hard mode" I still revert a failed launch if I was able to save the crew.

Edited by Kasuha

I have no problems quicksaving or quickloading. When I'm on larger mission, I not only quicksave, I have the save folder open and I give my quicksaves serial numbers and descriptive names so I can return to that part of the mission if needed.

Even some launch failures were no problem and I was able to save my crews, the only drawback was cleaning up the heap of debris created in the process. So for convenience, if I decide to play "hard mode" I still revert a failed launch if I was able to save the crew.

Have you tried ALT+F5, ALT+F9 yet?

And will you continue reverting launches for clean up after budget is added with .24? :wink:

Have you tried ALT+F5, ALT+F9 yet?

Nope, I'm too lazy to go trying out new features. Maybe I could :)

And will you continue reverting launches for clean up after budget is added with .24? :wink:

No idea. I'll decide when I see how 0.24 works.

Edited by Kasuha

Usually it goes like this:

- approach planet, orbit it, prepare for landing

- landing in progress

- something goes wrong (outta fuel, too fast)

- "Hmmm, now you could quickload and try again"

So yeah, notorious quicksave-dementia here ;)

Similar to ELF. I'll go back to earlier saves if I'm hit by game bugs. I also will for dumb oversights like missing rendezvous because I'm texting. But if it's a "real" error on my part I'll accept the consequences.

I don't tend to use quicksave proper much though. My online backup backs up the persistence hourly, and Kerbal Alarm Clock makes backups when I let it change ships. And if need be I will kill the game so I go back to my last autosave.

I quick save frequently but mostly only quick load when something glitches out. Most of these end up being rapid unplanned disassembly of a ship for no apparent reason. As most of these happen after comeing out of time warp I habitualy quicksave before entering timewarp and will quickload if the ship blows up afterwards or if I manage to blow past the time I intended to exit timewarp by too much. these also serve as convenient save points in case the game client just shuts down suddenly. I refrain from useing quickload if I experience a rapid unplanned disassembly that is the result of an extreme speed docking/landing manuver (contact at 20+m/s) as thats my own damn fault. :P I do however occasionally employ simulation runs when trying to aerobreak to a specific orbit or landing location

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.