[0.24.2] Kerbal Crew Transfer - v0.5 released, 0.24 support and Crew Swapping

joed_

Secondly, the whole point of this mod was to avoid spamming the UI as much as possible, and I'd rather not add any extra windows or options that aren't entirely necessary. I'm not really sure how I'd fit in a "Swap" button, without introducing another window, or cluttering up an already cluttered right-click menu.

I completely agree about the not wanting to bloat the code. I suffer that same problem at work most days :)

However, the "swap" option doesn't need to clutter the UI. When you click the button to transfer a Kerbal, if the other pod has an open seat the Kerbal goes there. If it does NOT have an open seat the "swap" button stays pressed and then you can click another button for a Kerbal on the other pod. When you do that, they swap. Exact same layout as now and works as expected.

But as I said, if you don't do this for the other reason I'll still happily use your mod. It's so much better than the other options even without the swap feature.

However, the "swap" option doesn't need to clutter the UI. When you click the button to transfer a Kerbal, if the other pod has an open seat the Kerbal goes there. If it does NOT have an open seat the "swap" button stays pressed and then you can click another button for a Kerbal on the other pod. When you do that, they swap. Exact same layout as now and works as expected.

Hmmm... I hadn't even considered this. I'll have to take a look at some of the UIPartAction controls, but this might be doable.

I'm definitely considering implementing this feature now.

At the moment I have another small project that I'm working on (it's only in the early stages), that I suspect users of this and CLS might find interesting. I'll post it on the forums and github as soon as I have some usable code.

You are such a tease!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Doesnt work for me. I have the latest ModuleManager and it still isn't working.

KSP 32bit

Post an issue, with a log file attached, on the Github page linked in the very first post.

I can't fix the issue without that log file.

Post the log file.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'd like to ask anybody reporting issues, to post a log file, please. Because, otherwise, I have absolutely no idea what exactly is going wrong. For all I know with the information that I have been given: there could be a bug in my code; you might have installed it incorrectly; there could be a conflict with another mod; a cosmic ray might have flipped a bit. Or perhaps your computer even spontaneously combusted, which would with near-certainty put a damper CrewXfer's ability to transfer crew (and would viciously slaughter any other functions of that smoldering wreck that used to be a computer).

I'm sorry if this is coming across as rude, but I would like to try to diagnose and to fix these issues.

Which I can't do... (have you guessed it already?) ...without the log file.

Edited by joed_
Added the quote, that I thought I included originally

Just a random question? will this mod work if the capsules are all full? Would it work then by switching 2 kerbals? If it doesnt work this way, I'll probably still download it, but if this works like the way I just said, then I'm Definitely downloading.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again to joed_ for this great mod!

People, dont' be fooled by the relatively small activity in this thread... its only because this is a simple, elegant little mod that does exactly what it says it does... not much to say except thanks :)

Thanks again to joed_ for this great mod!

People, dont' be fooled by the relatively small activity in this thread... its only because this is a simple, elegant little mod that does exactly what it says it does... not much to say except thanks :)

You're very welcome.

Be aware though, that Squad are implementing some form of Crew Transfer in .25 (according to the latest devnotes), so this mod might not have much of a raison d'être after that. I'll maintain CrewXfer until then, but after that it depends on how exactly they've decided to handle it. If it's similar to the way Ship Manifest or Crew Manifest do it, then you can be assured that CrewXfer is sticking around.

Does this require a docking port or something? I was trying to test out transferring between two pods I put on top of each other. My idea was to have a transport stage in one pod that then disconnects and gets discarded. But this requires transferring the crew.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.