KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Lilleman

How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

• It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX
    • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL
    • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

Don't know if anyone noticed, but with this method the game is using more RAM in DirextX mode then it is in OpenGL Mode.

For me it is:

DirextX -> 4.3GB

OpenGL -> 2.8GB

Hmmm very strange

Would to be possible to run the modified .exe through wine on a mac and get the same results? So far I haven't found much out.

I think Unity also has a Mac editor? If so then you just find the appropriate files in there

I'm going to try this tonight. Lilleman, may I make the suggestion that a poll be added to the OP with two options;

1- I tried the 64 bit KSP on Windows and had no or minor issues (minor meaning issues that had simply workarounds or fixes).

2- I tried the 64 bit KSP on Windows and had major, game breaking issues.

This should help the developers for both KSP and Unity out quite a substantial bit, especially considering that we're now running QA for Unity.

@Robotengineer: I've checked in my Unity installations files, it seems like there is only one Unity player build for Mac. I don't know if it's already 64-bits.

@Raven: The poll would be a good idea, I'd like to know too what's the problem with the DirectX's memory leak.

What do you think of:

1-It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX

2-It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL

3-None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

?

Edit: done!

Edited by Lilleman

@Robotengineer: I've checked in my Unity installations files, it seems like there is only one Unity player build for Mac. I don't know if it's already 64-bits.

@Raven: The poll would be a good idea, I'd like to know too what's the problem with the DirectX's memory leak.

What do you think of:

1-It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX

2-It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL

3-None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

?

That works. Just as long as we collect data to get an idea on a failure rate.

Holy mother of God, IT WORKS!!! Also, mods. No ATM or LOD, just for testing purposes (they'll come in handy, though, judging by THAT RAM usage!)

PfOwTCa.jpg

Specs:

- i7 980X

- 12 Gb RAM

- GTX Titan (latest drivers)

- Win7 x64

So I only have 4g of ram, but my computer is 64-bit. Would I get any performance boosts from this?

No, you will not. The only benefit you will see from this is the ability for KSP to address more than 4 GB of RAM. This is critical if you are running an absurd amount of mods, like me. But, if you do not run any mods, or do not have the memory to take advantage of it, then this will do nothing more than introduce more bugs.

Okay, it works nicely so far, although memory usage is more than 8 Gb now. Need to either install ATM and LOD, or upgrade RAM (I've got 3x2 Gb sticks around - might try them tomorrow)

The only bug that I've encountered so far is what I call "buggy frames": sometimes right after loading, there is couple of frames which is irrelevant to current scene (like astronaut complex when you're loading space center scene). Maybe it's mods, I don't know. Don't care, either - this is purely visual bug that doesn't hamper gameplay experience

Suddenly my 8GB of RAM doesn't seem so adequate anymore. Seriously considering upgrading to 16GB now XD

So if I currently have 2 4GB sticks, would it make more sense to buy 2 more 4GB sticks, or would it be better to replace my existing RAM with 2 8GB sticks?

Suddenly my 8GB of RAM doesn't seem so adequate anymore. Seriously considering upgrading to 16GB now XD

So if I currently have 2 4GB sticks, would it make more sense to buy 2 more 4GB sticks, or would it be better to replace my existing RAM with 2 8GB sticks?

2x8 sticks.

Downloading Unity now.

Testing should be easy, I will just remove ATM and try it. With ATM i run on the ragged edge of death at 3.2 Gb avg, and dying after about an hour or a revert flight. Without ATM it crashes on load.

I'll let you know how it fares for me.

(Some of you guys are scary smart. Or as Big Bang Theory put it once "One lab accident away from being a supervillan...")

[Edit] Wow!! removed ATM, running stable at 3.5 GB!!!! Normally never finishes loading without ATM.

(downloading B9, KW, etc....I am so amazed.)

Edited by pslytely psycho

(Some of you guys are scary smart. Or as Big Bang Theory put it once "One lab accident away from being a supervillan...")

Bit late for that me thinks. Damn this is awesome. I'll have to wait for Monday to test it out though.