[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

I see it, yours has two extra lines in your window that mine doesn't have.

So back to the original question, has anyone else had this issue before?

-------------Update-------------------

I figure it probably is something with my install in particular so I made a new empty KSP folder copied direct from Steam Folder. (I don't play the steam folder, I leave it fully stock and pristine.)

Put just remote tech, it works. So I am going to add mods one at a time until it breaks. If I find anything useful I will post it here.

So I copied every mod folder over 2 or 3 at a time. RT still works. I am totally baffled as when 1.0.4 came out I cleared out my old working KSP folder and copied from the steam folder. The same location I copied from to make the new working folder. Since I copied the mod folders over directly from the old working folder, the new working folder is an identical copy of the old one, except that it works.

Ok so I started a new science career and probe cores no longer work. I go back to sandbox and it does. I am going to continue to play around and see if I can find anything.

So the issue is that you need Unmanned Tech unlocked. A change I didn't notice and seems to be the case since 1.5. (Not sure, I was looking at the change log. (And damn thats way the heck down the tech tree.)) Since the VAB window shows that prob cores have the integrated OMNI regardless of what techs you have installed, there isn't any obvious indication the probes are working as planned. Since the change was a while ago, I didn't see anything when I check through the last 10 pages. No one tried to report it as a bug, at least not that shows up in the last few bug report pages.

This is going to be a pain for other users in the future. Is there a way to change the VAB window to indicated you need that tech? Or perhaps to add an option in the settings file to disable this requirement? (It seems to be an awfully expensive tech to research for such a small benefit. By time I have that tech I have a fully functioning interplanetary satellite network. Might as well as not have the integrated OMNI feature at all.)

Edited by Leszek

Adapted a quick patch for Asteroid Day. Didn't test it yet:

@PART[HECS2_ProbeCore]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {
%TechRequired = unmannedTech
%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
}
}
}

@PART[HighGainAntenna]:FOR[RemoteTech]
{
!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
{
%allowManualControl = false
}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
%Mode0DishRange = 0
%Mode1DishRange = 40000000000
%EnergyCost = 0.93
%MaxQ = 6000
%DishAngle = 0.06

%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.15
%PacketSize = 3
%PacketResourceCost = 20.0
}
}

%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {}
}

Feel free to try and give feedback.

I added my own config for AsteroidDay, with a few differences:

@PART[HECS2_ProbeCore]:AFTER[AsteroidDay]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {}

%OmniRange = 5000000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}
@PART[HighGainAntenna]:AFTER[AsteroidDay]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
!MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter] {}

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
{
%allowManualControl = false
}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
%Mode0DishRange = 0
%Mode1DishRange = 120000000000
%EnergyCost = 1.86
%MaxQ = 6000
%DishAngle = 0.03

%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.15
%PacketSize = 3
%PacketResourceCost = 20.0
}
}

%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {}
}

Since the HECS2 probe core is intended for deep space probes and has internal batteries, I figured the Kerbals probably stuffed in a patch antenna also, thus the 5Mm omni instead of the usual 3Km. I also upped the range & narrowed the cone on the HG-55 to put it between the KR-14 & CommTech-1, since it's a deep space antenna.

Edited by Domhnall

Hey guys, I come with a feature suggestion.

Would it be possible to make dish antenas target an orbit relative? Like "point prograde/point radial+" etc.?

IRL we use Gravity-gradient stabilization to keep satelites' antenas pointing the right way, so it would not be unrealistic.

The main reason I suggest this is, when using probes with only dishes (probes meant to go far away, just waiting for maneuver node) at low altitudes and high timewarp, it becomes very hard to manually keep the dish pointing at the right satelite at the right time. If "fixed on radial+", the antena could contact any satelite that comes into sight.

Regarding connection: the satelites already relay signal automatically, when their field-of-view happen to overlap (see spoiler)

Let's assume that in the pic ship "1" is currently active vessel, and ships "2" and "3" have their dishes pointed towards active vessels - those grey lines.

If "1" tries to connect to "3" directly, it won't work because there's Kerbin in the way - orange line.

But if "1" has wide-enough cone of signal, then ship "2" will automatically pick up the signal and relay it to "3", even if "1" isn't actively trying to connect to "2". Just because "1" dish happens to have a line of sight with it.

OSQlxHP.png

Regarding orbital-targeting: already works, sort of... As in, we can already point the antena towards a planet/moon, why not make it face away from it?

Regarding balance: if it sounds for some reason "too OP", it might be unlocked through tech tree, like probe-integrated antenas (those 3km omnis).

Why not just use omnis everywhere? Simple answer: career. Early on the omnis don't have sufficient range, you are limited on part-count (by the VAB upgrades) and ship-count (by not having enough funds to launch 50 satelites).

I just think it would be really nice to have this option in-game too...

Hey all, love the mod, having a problem with it, curious if anyone knows anything:

Some of my ships - not all - have an issue where I tall them to orient to a maneuver node through the flight computer, they just start spinning wildly. I've tried setting "Control from here" to different parts, but that doesn't help. Any idea what's happening?

Hey all, love the mod, having a problem with it, curious if anyone knows anything:

Some of my ships - not all - have an issue where I tall them to orient to a maneuver node through the flight computer, they just start spinning wildly. I've tried setting "Control from here" to different parts, but that doesn't help. Any idea what's happening?

I've seen this too. For the ships it affects, we're they undocked or decoupled at some point prior to the problem? I think it's an issue with what the root part

Regarding connection: the satelites already relay signal automatically, when their field-of-view happen to overlap

Unless I am very much mistaken (and the documentation is too), dishes only operate a cone when pointed at a celestial body.

ETA: but if that's not for reasons of technical feasibility, I like your idea.

Unless I am very much mistaken (and the documentation is too), dishes only operate a cone when pointed at a celestial body.

ETA: but if that's not for reasons of technical feasibility, I like your idea.

you're mistaken. They operate if their target is inside the cone, you don't have to actually point the dish. It's just assumed that happens I guess.

Great mod.

Question, can you make this option to control a probe from a near by shuttle/rocket craft that is manned without been connected with mission control ?

Great mod.

Question, can you make this option to control a probe from a near by shuttle/rocket craft that is manned without been connected with mission control ?

There is a part that does just that.

but it needs an end-game tech level and a crew of 6

iirc

There is a part that does just that.

but it needs an end-game tech level and a crew of 6

iirc

oohh I see now about this, it's in the Instruction Manual under "Command Stations"

but required so much for my skils "end-game tech level and a crew of 6" wish this option to be in first tech levels :D

Hey guys, I'm having problems getting RT and MRS to play friendly together, was wondering if anyone could help me resolve my issues.

Firstly, there are three parts that are probe cores for MRS. These are NBprobeCone1m, NBprobeRadial, and NBprobeRadial2.

All three of the parts individual cfg files contains this entry.

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive

TechRequired = unmannedTech

OmniRange = 3000

TRANSMITTER

{

PacketInterval = 0.3

PacketSize = 2

PacketResourceCost = 15.0

}

}

Furthermore, since that alone was not working, I added a cfg in the RT directory containing an entry for each like this.

@PART[NBprobeCone1m]:FOR[RemoteTech]

{

%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {

}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {

%PacketInterval = 0.3

%PacketSize = 2

}

}

}

I"m at a loss of what to try now? Can anyone help me?

Try this inside the RemoteTech folder:

@PART[NBprobeCone1m]:AFTER[ModRocketSys]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
%IsRTCommandStation = true
%RTCommandMinCrew = 6
}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

Ok I'm starting to get a bit frustrated and baffled. I tried the above, no go. Can someone please explain to me how all the things link together. I took a look at squads probeCoreSphere part. I looked at how it was set up and how remote tech's comfig for it was set up.

I then removed the section in the MRS parts config and added this to the RT config I have in the RT folder.

@PART[NBprobeCone1m]:FOR[RemoteTech]

{

%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {

}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {

%PacketInterval = 0.3

%PacketSize = 2

}

}

}

I have LITERALLY copied that remote tech config for that sphere probe, and yet still, no connection when I toss it on the launch pad. What... the.... F.

Something is not intuitive here, I am completely missing something about how this works. I'mjust so boggled as why an exact copy of a squad part with a different name and some extra module parts won't behave like normal. Here is the entire MRS part config.

PART

{

name = NBprobeCone1m

module = Part

author = NecroBones

mesh = model.mu

scale = 1

rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.05, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1

TechRequired = start

entryCost = 0

cost = 900

category = Pods

subcategory = 0

title = MRS Guidance Nose-Cone

manufacturer = Modular Rocket Systems

description = Most space agencies seem to think that starting with manned missions is the way to go. At MRS, we disagree, and think it is much safer to send automated rockets into the sky first. This guidance unit will let you do so in style!

attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0

mass = 0.4

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.15

angularDrag = 1.5

crashTolerance = 12

maxTemp = 2400

bulkheadProfiles = size1

explosionPotential = 0

vesselType = Probe

CrewCapacity = 0

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSAS

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleCommand

minimumCrew = 0

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

rate = 0.05

}

}

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

amount = 100

maxAmount = 100

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleReactionWheel

PitchTorque = 3

YawTorque = 3

RollTorque = 3

RESOURCE

{

name = ElectricCharge

rate = 0.2

}

}

MODULE

{

name = FlagDecal

textureQuadName = flagDecal

}

}

You will note that the section that remote tech cares about is removed.

I made a RemoteTech_ModularRocketSystems.cfg with this:

{
%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
%IsRTCommandStation = true
%RTCommandMinCrew = 6
}

%OmniRange = 3000

%TRANSMITTER {
%PacketInterval = 0.3
%PacketSize = 2
}
}
}

inside it and tried it in both the RemoteTech folder and inside the GameData folder, it worked fine and RT was applied to the probe cone.

0dab317060e81f0a76678eb0785d57cd.png

I launched just the cone and it did have a connection.

The big difference in your config and mine is this line specifically:

That tells ModuleManager to be sure to load ModRocketSys BEFORE it tries to apply any RT modules to the parts.

I have just started using RemoteTech today and I really like it but I can't quite seem to grasp how to set up a proper relays network.

For example if you look at this screenshot I have two satellites (blue) in keosynchronous orbits. Both of them have plenty dishes and one Communotron 16 (omnidirectional base antenna). One of them has a connection targetted at ground command and the other has one of the dishes aimed at the first satellite. Each of them also has one of the dishes set to aim at the active vessel.

I'm trying to get a connection with a probe in LKO (red). It has a communotron omnidirection antenna and a dish (both activated). I want to grab onto the connection from the two relay satellites but I simply don't get one. Isn't the "active vessel" targeting supposed to give me that connection? I can see the satellite cones track the active ship on the map but it simply doesn't seem to grab on.

I could probably target my dish at one of the satellites but then I'd still have blank spots where I don't get any connection :(

Iqc1mcQ.png

Edited by rofltehcat

I have just started using RemoteTech today and I really like it but I can't quite seem to grasp how to set up a proper relays network.

For example if you look at this screenshot I have two satellites (blue) in keosynchronous orbits. Both of them have plenty dishes and one Communotron 16 (omnidirectional base antenna). One of them has a connection targetted at ground command and the other has one of the dishes aimed at the first satellite. Each of them also has one of the dishes set to aim at the active vessel.

I'm trying to get a connection with a probe in LKO (red). It has a communotron omnidirection antenna and a dish (both activated). I want to grab onto the connection from the two relay satellites but I simply don't get one. Isn't the "active vessel" targeting supposed to give me that connection? I can see the satellite cones track the active ship on the map but it simply doesn't seem to grab on.

I could probably target my dish at one of the satellites but then I'd still have blank spots where I don't get any connection :(

http://i.imgur.com/Iqc1mcQ.png

Your active vessel needs to point one of its dishes to one of your comsats in line of sight. If it leaves the line of sight to that sat, you need to point at another one.

Either you always change that manually, or you need plenty of dishes. That is one of the reasons why a lower orbit com network with omni antenna is preferred. So that you do not need to worry with that in kerbin orbit.

Since I started using remote tech in the 0.24.2 alpha of KSP,I liked one of the features:the option to extend the antennas and retract them at will even after transmitting with them.Of course,I tried to construct a satellite network and failed at doing it epicly,so I uninstalled the mod (just to put it back a few weeks later).I later made data transitter patches for the antennas (I just can't get over how great they look!Props to the modeler).I was able to use the antennas,but I could not extend them and retract them at will after transmitting,just like the stock experience.

Now,here's my point:is there a way to keep the antennas,the dishes,the module that extends/retracts the antennas after use and the data transmitter modules for the antennas with the mod as it is today?If not,can you make a different plugin and release it as a completely different release?

Your active vessel needs it's antenna pointed in the direction of your satellites, and the cone size has to be big enough to either capture a group of satellites or a single one.

For instance, if you point the vessel's dish at Kerbin, if it's cone is wide enough it will also connect to the two satellites. Or, if you have narrow coned dishes on your satellites and your vessels, you can aim them specifically at each other for a typically longer range, but more line-of-sight dependent connection.

Thanks for the help with the last post. I got my connections working again and shot up some more satellites to also get better ground coverage.

However, I now have a problem: I have a rocket on the launch pad and it just can't get any connection to anything. It has an always-on antenna as well as a dish and a communotron 16... both of which I can't even switch on because I don't have any connection. Blue are two satellites for the low coverage, red circled are keosync ones. The current rocket is on the pad (red dot).

hF2rfc1.png

Possible bug: Sometimes, [+] [-] buttons stop responding in remote autopilot, while icon is still green. Reloading KSP fixes it temporarily. Other buttons continue responding, so I can still edit fields and click "Custom".

OS: Linux, Mageia 5, Nvidia 550GTX with drivers from nvidia.

P.S.

Started using RT2 recently. Still learning, but I with I could assign several targets to one dish, so it tries to connect to all of them in order, until live connection achieved. It's about connecting to KSO commsats.

Thanks for the help with the last post. I got my connections working again and shot up some more satellites to also get better ground coverage.

However, I now have a problem: I have a rocket on the launch pad and it just can't get any connection to anything. It has an always-on antenna as well as a dish and a communotron 16... both of which I can't even switch on because I don't have any connection. Blue are two satellites for the low coverage, red circled are keosync ones. The current rocket is on the pad (red dot).

http://i.imgur.com/hF2rfc1.png

Does your rocket have power? Also you can't launch with a Communotron active, it'll break off. Mission Control has it's own antenna, so your satellites don't matter on the launchpad.

To launch, you should have a Reflectron DP-10 attached to your rocket, preferably on one of the last stages, until your rocket gets high enough you can safely deploy a Communotron or a dish. You also need a power source. A small battery & a single flat solar panel will do.

It had power, antennas... looked perfectly fine but didn't get any connection. It seems to only affect this one spacecraft, I could launch something else. I also tested if it was related to having too many antennas or if it is related to fairings/service bays but everything else works perfectly fine even if I stick it in them.

No Electric Charge? If a rocket with an always-on antenna can't be communicated with on the pad at KSC, that's not a problem with anything up in the sky.