Kerbal Stuff, an open-source Space Port replacement

SirCmpwn

U know what, I think KSP is a great success because it have a large number of kind people who devoted their time and energy freely to support it.

Now, Squad is pushing away some of those people.

And as for me, a normal KSP player and sort of a modder, I think KS's shutting down is a great lost to the entire KSP group. I browse KS every single day if I can do that, checking for new mods and updated mods.Curse? What is that? Also, as for a Chinese player, there is something called Great Fire Wall which blocked we Chinese from a lot of foreign website, but KS is NOT one of them. With its shutdown, we have to use VPN to access other download links. I just dont know why the hell Squad would do this to KS and what the <expletive deleted> are they thinking.

Anyway, as a metter of fact, we Chinese players rely KS so much, I'd like to say think you for your kindness @SirCmpwn , you did a fantastic job, think you so much.

I was saddened by kerbal stuff shutting down. that was my main source of mods. I only found out today.

I under stand why you did it. if I was spending $100/month and I was getting hate or nothing I'd probably shut it down for good too.

but on the bright side this is my first thread: yay

The news about KerbalStuff closure have really ruined my day. Crappy Kraken, Curse doesn't come close to it and lacks many good features: downloads and followers statistics (really showed me whether people need my work), CKAN integration (can't believe we'll have to update CKAN links by hands now), freshest mods collection that I always started browsing of KerbalStuff with.

I already feel my laziness growing because of not having those many useful and convenient modder-oriented features anymore.

6 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Would have been nice if a call had gone out for the torch to be passed to someone willing to take over the website rather than the "take my ball and go home" shut down. 

I believe that something happened that forced the KerbalStuff creator to make such decision.

Edited by Ser

I'm bummed that it shut down for convenience reasons but I'm more disappointed in the attitude expressed in the explanation to be perfectly honest. From what I can gather it was shutdown for 3 reasons:

1. Feelings were hurt because SQUAD didn't acknowledge kerbalstuff and tried to protect their brand
  2. Feelings were hurt because kerbalstuff received negative feedback from users?
  3. It was too expensive

No call was put out for funds that would have undoubtedly poured in had they been asked for. No ads were placed to offset the cost which would have been annoying but understood. And, as previously mentioned, no request for someone else to take the mantle was made. It seems to me to be more akin to a suicide than anything else...specifically where you hope everyone else is sad and at a loss when you remove yourself from their lives. Then, to make sure it hits the way you want, you leave the note about how terrible everyone was in hopes to garner pitty.

Not impressed.

2 minutes ago, Styles2304 said:

I'm bummed that it shut down for convenience reasons but I'm more disappointed in the attitude expressed in the explanation to be perfectly honest. From what I can gather it was shutdown for 3 reasons:

1. Feelings were hurt because SQUAD didn't acknowledge kerbalstuff and tried to protect their brand
  2. Feelings were hurt because kerbalstuff received negative feedback from users?
  3. It was too expensive

No call was put out for funds that would have undoubtedly poured in had they been asked for. No ads were placed to offset the cost which would have been annoying but understood. And, as previously mentioned, no request for someone else to take the mantle was made. It seems to me to be more akin to a suicide than anything else...specifically where you hope everyone else is sad and at a loss when you remove yourself from their lives. Then, to make sure it hits the way you want, you leave the note about how terrible everyone was in hopes to garner pitty.

Not impressed.

Speaking of impressed, a guy who donated countless time and energy and money on a website for free, just want everyone have a better way to access mods and surely achieved the goal, is that impressing you?

Remember, he is not obliged to build and maintain the website but he did so, and it is his right to quit doing so.

1 minute ago, mark7 said:

Speaking of impressed, a guy who donated countless time and energy and money on a website for free, just want everyone have a better way to access mods and surely achieved the goal, is that impressing you?

Remember, he is not obliged to build and maintain the website but he did so, and it is his right to quit doing so.

I don't want to necessarily discount the good he's done but it's hard to remember and keep in the foreground when it's overshadowed by what I've just recently seen. It's clearly a fit because he didn't get the kind of support that he wanted but didn't ask for. No pitty here.

Edited by Styles2304

2 minutes ago, mark7 said:

It is valid to have both feelings.  I am incredibly impressed at the amount of time and money he put into running Kerbalstuff.com.  Much the way I am impressed with all modders in the KSP modding community.

It is perfectly valid for SirCmpwn to say enough, take his ball and go home, again much like any modder.

At the same time, it is frustrating that no outward attempt was made to pass along the torch to someone willing to keep things going.  Many times a modder, when they get tired, or stop playing KSP, or life gets busy, will find someone else to continue the mod for the better of the community.

Yes he was not obliged to build and maintain kerbalstuff.com.  But in doing so he created something that the community loved and relied on.  He could have:

1. Stated he's done, but made a call to the community to find if anyone was willing to carry on the project so it wouldn't just die abruptly.  Or at least help fund the project so he could keep it running.

2. Take his ball and go home.

He chose the latter, which is sad.

If Squad wants people to use Curse they should damn well integrate it a lot better than they do now.
At least games like WoW and Minecraft have (semi-)automatic addon updates through the Curse client, why the hell can't KSP do the same?