[0.90] ON HOLD Klockheed Martian Special Parts V2.2 - 28-Nov - Dev Thread

After one year of developing and maintaining mods for KSP, it is time to move on for me. It was a pleasure to work with you guys!

Development has been taken over by Raidernick

dtobi

This is a set of special parts consisting of the following:

* Cargo bays

* Generic shrouds (shrouds without engines)

* Base plates for cargo bays and other structural components

* Tubes

* Crocodile-style fairings (like Apollo LEM extraction)

* Inflatable Heatshields

* Other inflatable components

* Skylab Laboratory

* Doors, windows and supplies for wet workshops

This is the development thread. All parts are tested and seem to work but I may change things here and there.

If you download this pack, please be prepared to:

a) provide feedback if you like or dislike something

B) provide bug reports and assistance in finding bugs

The parts are quite light on the memory. For example, all structural parts (cargo bays, tubes, etc.) use only one (one for all!) bump mapped texture. Fun without regret!

Changelog:

Version 0.1: Initial release

Version 0.2: Tweakscale integration an mesh fixes

* Added Tweakscale to reduce part count (Thanks Floppster)

* Corrected collision meshes for cargo bay and long shroud

Version 0.3: More resizable parts and Skylab

* New Skylab science laboratory

* More resizable parts: Crocodiles (Thanks Floppster)

* Half size cargo bay (Thanks Floppster)

* Corrected the size of the large shrouds

Version 2.0: New Klockheed Martian Structure and Tubes and Hatches

* New black tubes for Hubble-like telescopes

* Hatch for Hubble-like telescopes

* Lens for telescopes

* New folder structure

* Please delete ALL old Klockheed Martian folders before installing the V2.0 Thank you!

Version 2.0: More stability and wet workshops

* New Tweakscale

* Less tight integration with km_lib.dll

* Wet workshop parts

Version 2.2

* Fixed part animations

* Fixed part scaling, remove mm config fix if you have it

* Converted all textures to MBM to fix tga issues

* Removed broken tweak scale version from zip, please download latest version here(YOU NEED IT): http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80234

* Updated info for new license

Using the wet workshop parts

You can tur any fuel tank (even 5m KW Rocketry Tanks) into a space station now. Follow these steps:

1) Attach the door to a tank

2) Launch your rocket and drain the tank COMPLETELY. (Smart Parts has a fuel valve to help with that!)

3) Bring supplies and transfer these to the door.

4) Klick the door and convert empty tanks to empty space to living space

5) Bring kerbals to the door

Right now all happens in the door. Depending on the feedback, I might continue this and extend it with connected living space support, etc.

Installation:

Important! Please follow the steps EVERY TIME you update a Klockheed Martian Mod! All public releases are located here:

https://www./?hf5fbeqadrk1aiu

a) Download the latest version of the base Klockheed Martian Mod from here.

B) If you update mod, delete its folder too (e.g., GameData\Klockheed_Martian_SSE)

c) Unzip both files and copy the GameData folders to your GameData Folder.

The base folder is required for common plugin functionality that is shared by all Klockheed Martian mods.

------------------------------

Credits and Acknowledgments

Thanks to Snjo for letting me use his firespitter buoyancy code

This plugin uses Snjo's firespitter code and Biotrnic's Tweakscale plugin

Special parts:

Wet workshop example (Tanks and engines are from KW Rocketry)

This work is shared under BY NC ND

Author: dtobi

Edited by diomedea
corrected link to Imgur albums

• 1 month later...
Welp, better PM Sumghai, Dtobi. Hes been wanting to make: Inflatable heat shields and floats for the Mk. 1-2.

He actually should be aware. I had replied to a post that he made about it.

thats awesome pack!

stock-alike apollo mission, here i go.

by the way, are heashields actually DR compatible?

I made them a couple of months ago (feb or march). Maybe they don't feature all the new stuff of DR but they work nicely with it, though.

Welp, better PM Sumghai, Dtobi. Hes been wanting to make: Inflatable heat shields and floats for the Mk. 1-2.
He actually should be aware. I had replied to a post that he made about it.

Yeah, I'm already aware of this development from RoverDude's thread - apologies for the late reply.

I'm examining the download right now to see if I can make sense of it, since I've never worked with Firespitter buoyancy or its derivatives.

Goot catch! Thanks!

No problem - always glad to help :)

also - I was looking through the configs - some of the parts are missing the 'PART{' at the beginning or the final '}'

No problem - always glad to help :)

also - I was looking through the configs - some of the parts are missing the 'PART{' at the beginning or the final '}'

Hmm... just looked through most of the parts and did notfind one with a missing start or end tag. Can you tell me which you found?

Ah, the engine mount lacks a "}"

After a little playing around a little, I can only come up with one complaint. The flat floor panel on the cargo bays are a lie, as far as surface attachment goes. I'd like to be able to stick a small docking port or similar object down there. my workaround has been to put a docking port on a cubic octagonal strut on the outside, and then flip it inside to allow cargo modules to dock inside.

After a little playing around a little, I can only come up with one complaint. The flat floor panel on the cargo bays are a lie, as far as surface attachment goes. I'd like to be able to stick a small docking port or similar object down there. my workaround has been to put a docking port on a cubic octagonal strut on the outside, and then flip it inside to allow cargo modules to dock inside.

Maybe add a stack node in there

Nice, any chance you'll do inflatable heat shields that can have an engine exposed through them until inflated?? Also 3.75m versions... :)

My idea, Here's the stack: Command pod, fuel tank+externals(LG, RCS), Engine, Heat shield. Both during the beginning of the atmospheric descent the engine can be used within reason, hit the point of inflation, the afterword jettison and continue the powered landing.

Or something like the inflatables seen on various gundam ships (Zeta gundam, Double Zeta, Gundam Unicorn) that could be used for larger constructions, I've always liked to build big ships using the B9 parts, the S2wides for example, be nice if in the future once .24 comes out I can attempt to salvage such creations for funds....

Edited by Railgunner2160

So I had some time to test the parts. First of all, the parts are good looking and fit in nicely with the stock parts.

I wrote down my comments using the categories mentioned in the OP.

(+) means I would use the parts regularly. (+/-) means I would use the parts sometimes. (-) means I would use them only rarely.

* Cargo bays (+)

- The "texture-only" base is a bit out of place if you are attaching thing to it. If are going to change it than I would suggest to make it a "real" base.

- The walls are a bit thin so things attached are almost always seen on the outside.

* Generic shrouds (+/-)

- Perhaps a decoupler on the middle attachment node, I think it would be handy. But that is for how I would use them. The same thing can be accomplished with a separate decoupler however; no, that was not a pun.

- What does the in flight jettison action do? Nothing happened.

* Base plates for cargo bays and other structural components (-)

- Engine mount: Two meter, two meter!!

* Tubes (-)

- I see these as extensions for the Generic shrouds. The 3,75m parts are a little bit out of line with the 3,75m Generic shrouds. The 2,5m and 1,25m line up precisely. See pictures.

3,75m:

l5QW1Ub.jpg?1

2,5m:

F7QiX4E.jpg?1

* Crocodile-style fairings (+/-)

- They are open when the vessel is loaded in flight mode while they were closed in the VAB editor. The same happens when they are open in the VAB and close as soon as they are loaded for flight.

- The combine very well with the shrouds.

* Inflatable Heatshields (+)

- These are awesome and you are not getting them back after testing! :sticktongue:

- In VAB editor multiple (4x) tweakables option for "Auto Deploy". Think a code mishap.

- I would rather have a top decoupler than a bottom one. This allows for detaching from the payload or whatever after use. A personal preferance that a .cfg edit can fix.

* Other inflatable components (+)

- KM inflatable and KM large inflatable: In VAB editor multiple (2x) tweakables option for "Auto Deploy".

- They all behave very well and as expected. See pictures below for a use you have to admit you did to not think about.

There were no other mods in use during testing.

All in all, a nice set of parts. Again nice work dtobi!

Edited by diomedea
corrected link to Imgur album

I haven't tested this yet, but I can already tell the floats will be must-haves for me. The rest of the parts look great but may or may not make it into my install because they duplicate functionality I already have. I'll edit or post again once I've tested them.

I tested the 2.5m heat shield with the self-inflating floatation collar, to assess if I could add the latter feature to my own SDHI Service Module heat shield.

The "inflate-on-splashdown" feature works fine, but the default buoyancy values were unsatisfactory (Mk1-2 Pod with SDHI parachute docking port is partially submerged instead of floating right above the waterline). I increased the buoyancy values up to 60, with only marginal improvement.

I'll probably experiment a little more, but I'm not sure if I'll choose KM over what stupid_chris is working on.

I've gone through all the parts and here's all my thoughts (with any issues found):

Cargo Bays

Pros: Everything! Except...

Cons: Surface attachment goes through the flat inside floor/back wall (can be worked around with other parts). Tweak reads "Disable Srf Attach" and "Enable Sef Attach" (minor non-game-affecting nitpick).

Will I Use? Probably yes. These parts look and work great enough for me to keep them around, but I'll need an excuse to use them. I've only used cargo bays on reusable craft, and I only make spaceplanes reusable, and B9 has spaceplane cargo bays in all the sizes I use. For all other craft, I hide everything in fairings, though this alternative could reduce debris. I could maybe see myself using them as parts of space stations or bases to store contraptions I don't want outside all the time. Perhaps there are other uses I haven't thought of yet.

Crocodile Interstages

Pros: They look great and have very cool functionality.

Cons: The inside bottom texture of the larger of the two interstages seems excessively stretched as you can tell by the "screws" (minor non-game-affecting nitpick).

Will I Use? Yes. I can think some builds where I could use this at the very least as a more visually impressive alternative to regular fairings, and sharing internal space with the cargo bays and storage shrouds makes it all the more useful.

Generic Shrouds

Pros: Works well and matches stock style. Editor visibility is a nice touch.

Cons: The 3.75 meter shrouds don't line up with other parts radius-wise. The outside nodes on both 1.25 meter shrouds need to be pushed in a bit as there is a noticeable gap between them and joined parts.

Will I Use? Probably not. I use Procedural Fairings for all interstage fairings, and its ability to curve around payloads, enclose payloads of any length, and join ends of many different sizes together is just indispensable to me. That said, I may use this in barer builds or attempts to recreate historical craft.

End Caps

Pros: Everything here is great. Both sides of the cap look good, and surface attachment lines up.

Cons: Nothing!

Will I Use? Probably yes. It depends on whether I use the cargo bays.

Radial Engine Mount

Pros: Looks great and very useful. Offset is perfect for 4 placed around 2.5 meter parts, and 7 (via Editor Extensions) fit very well around 3.75 meter parts.

Cons: None!

Will I Use? Yes. This is a very basic piece that I have been sorely missing. I'll definitely use it on many of my big rockets and it works well for air intakes.

Storage Shrouds

Pros: They match the cargo bays and crocodile interstages perfectly. Surface attachment works well on the inside.

Cons: None, but is there supposed to be a long version of the 1.25 meter one?

Will I Use? Probably yes. It depends mostly on what I use the crocodile interstages for.

Inflatable Heatshields

Pros: Great look and functionality.

Cons: Four Auto Deploy tweaks. Buoyancy should probably be higher.

Will I Use? Yes. These definitely beat Deadly Reentry's heatshields for me.

UBS and KM Inflatables

Pros: Nice animations, good textures, and very useful.

Cons: Two Auto Deploy tweaks on the KM Inflatables. Buoyancy should probably be higher.

Will I Use? Yes.

All in all, this is a very nice set of parts. Edited by ericwdhs
Added some stuff.

dtobi, I'm working on a full* adaption of these parts to use TweakScale just to reduce the amount of parts in my catalog. Would you be interested in the remade configs?

I'm (at the moment, can do all if anyone wants) doing all structurals except for the crocodile interstage and radial mounts. The sizes are 0.62, 1.25, 1.875, 2.5 and 3.75 with all of them being unlocked as they would if they still were seperate parts**.

*As in all of the parts I use.

** No warranties, not done yet and haven't checked this.

dtobi, I'm working on a full* adaption of these parts to use TweakScale just to reduce the amount of parts in my catalog. Would you be interested in the remade configs?

I'm (at the moment, can do all if anyone wants) doing all structurals except for the crocodile interstage and radial mounts. The sizes are 0.62, 1.25, 1.875, 2.5 and 3.75 with all of them being unlocked as they would if they still were seperate parts**.

*As in all of the parts I use.

** No warranties, not done yet and haven't checked this.

I'm certainly interested. However the 3.75m shroud is different from the smaller sizes. I recommend using the 3.75 if you want to use a single model for all.

0.625... Does that make a lot of sense?

Looking forward to seeing the rescale in action.