[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

Should the EADS Astrium Aestus, Aerojet LR-91 & LR-87 and the Rocketdyne RS-68a all really have a heatProduction value of 400? Seems much larger than other engines. They are all AIES engines.

Good catch. Corrected:)

Don't tell me you are gonna retrodict the thrust curve by analyzing the acceleration curve & rocket weight & engine/srb motor's Isp... :P That's too tricky and may not be accurate enough.

Oh it might just happen:) It'd be more accurate than NOT having a curve. Started in on NovaPunch, LOTS of SRBs there, going to do some moving around and some new additions as well.

I have been playing with the idea of creating a kOS script for doing proper gravity turns. It would have to change depending on the rocket's initial TWR, and I don't really know where to start with such a script.

First: Thanks for all who worked on this great set of mods!

I just started using unmanned probes. After I figured out that I couldn't get it to work because Mission control is not at KSC, I launched a manned probe that relays the signal to KSC. Then had another manned probe with several dishes and all available omni antenna hop a few meters off the launchpad, so I could have an omni-signal on the ground. (My satellite is more than 1Mm away.)

Now I can control unmanned launches :). However, after 3km, the connection brakes and the rocket falls back to the ground :(. I did put an DP-10 on the rocket, but still it seems to be using only the built-in omni antenna.

2nd, possibly (un-)related problem: After I deploy the stronger omni-antennae on the manned lander a few meters off the pad, they disappear after I reload.

Any ideas what I can do?

Also: I could feel this mod could need more documentation, and I'd be happy to do something there. What's the best way of doing that? Should there be a page on the wiki? - Or did I not look hard enough?

I don't know if this is related to RO or Near Future Solar but on the three curved panels the description says:

Ideal Charge Rate: XX Ec/s"

instead of

Outputs:

-ElectricCharge: XX/sec.

For this reason FuseBox does't recognizes those panels. I don't know if there is any other effect.

2nd, possibly (un-)related problem: After I deploy the stronger omni-antennae on the manned lander a few meters off the pad, they disappear after I reload.

I think Squad added a feature that recovers (terminates?) everything landed close to KSC, to stop the rocket parts from cluttering there. You need to launch that thing a bit further from the pad. A klick or so should do it. Also, the second (iirc) post in the thread has an RT config that adds a ground station to all space centers in RSS. Also, it switches the signal distance model to Additive, which means that a 10Mm and a 3km antenna connection works at a range of 10Mm+3km+something, instead of 3km.

Edited by xrayfishx

@Lilienthal: Appreciate the comments. Most of your issues are RT2 questions, not RO questions, so I'm going to forward you to that thread instead. I do recommend you grab the RT2 settings file which places more ground stations at launch pads around the world as available with RSS. You need to put a non-deployable omni on your launch vehicle, otherwise at 3km is the default unmanned probe distance. Make sure you turn the DP-10 on:)

While we acknowledge there needs to be more, what kind of documentation are you looking for?

@mecki: The ideal charge rate is part of NearFuture's dll instead of using the stock solar module, so it's both FuseBox and NF problem.

@Lilienthal: Appreciate the comments. Most of your issues are RT2 questions, not RO questions, so I'm going to forward you to that thread instead. I do recommend you grab the RT2 settings file which places more ground stations at launch pads around the world as available with RSS. You need to put a non-deployable omni on your launch vehicle, otherwise at 3km is the default unmanned probe distance. Make sure you turn the DP-10 on:)

Strangely, once I put a low-flying spacecraft with connection to mission control within 1000km distance to the unmanned vehicle, I could retain control. So it wasn't the lack of DP-10, or me not turning it on ;-). I'll try to replicate further.

While we acknowledge there needs to be more, what kind of documentation are you looking for?

* Differences RO makes to other mods

* atmospheric heights

* mass of celestial bodies

* typical orbits

* tutorial about how to set up RT2 without Mission control at the base..

etc. Basically the stuff on wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com as far as it refers to RO.

I'd join in.:)

* atmospheric heights

You can look up these by double clicking on a celestial body in map view or the tracking station and then click on one of the buttons on the right side. You can also look up the mass of celestial bodies at Wikipedia.

* typical orbits

You can look them up at Wikipedia.

You can look up these by double clicking on a celestial body in map view or the tracking station and then click on one of the buttons on the right side. You can also look up the mass of celestial bodies at Wikipedia.

Ah. That's simple. And I was looking through the config files. :confused:

> You can look them up at Wikipedia.

For Europa? Ganymede? Mercury? - not really.

Anyway, I am not saying, that this is totally necessary. Of course you can calculate circular orbits (it's not that difficult.). But I still think this could be a nice addition to players.

What do other people think?

I have a problem with TAC LS: Under RO, the mod seems to count the usage still in days, not in seconds, leading to ridiculously long survival times, and sometimes overflow.

I could fix this by manually mutliplying all the usage figs in the TACLS config file by 86400. However this doesn't seem to be right ;).

Did this (possible) bug happen before or shall I dig further? Where is it defined BTW that usage is now in s, not d?

Strangely, once I put a low-flying spacecraft with connection to mission control within 1000km distance to the unmanned vehicle, I could retain control. So it wasn't the lack of DP-10, or me not turning it on ;-). I'll try to replicate further.

* Differences RO makes to other mods

* atmospheric heights

* typical orbits

* tutorial about how to set up RT2 without Mission control at the base..

etc. Basically the stuff on wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com as far as it refers to RO.

I'd join in.:)

Changes RO makes to other mods > Most of that is spelled out in the OP, but I can elaborate a little more there.

Atmospheric Heights > RO Doesn't do squat to this, that's RSS

Mass of celestial bodies > Again, RO doesn't do squat, that's RSS

Typical Orbits > Um...if the goal is making things real, then pick real orbits for something you want to do, really this again is more related to RSS than RO.

RT2 tutorial > I told you to download the settings file. It's within the first four posts. I will put a link in the OP next to the RT2 link though for those who can't/won't read.

Well, the wiki is open I believe on Git, feel free to add things via pull request or what not.

HI RedAV8R,

my thinking was that Realism overhaul seems to be going in the direction of a (the) standard mod-set for realism. (That's at least how I am using it.) So this could need a wiki to document the most important things. Therefore it could keep more info than the specifics of RO itsself. And, sorry if you misunderstood me: I am not asking you to write all this stuff. You are doing already a lot! I was thinking while I and possibly others learn to play RO, we can put our understandings in a Wiki.

Well, the wiki is open I believe on Git, feel free to add things via pull request or what not.
Cool. I am not quite sure which one? On Githup RO I didn't find one.

RT2 tutorial > I told you to download the settings file. It's within the first four posts. I will put a link in the OP next to the RT2 link though for those who can't/won't read.

Ah, so the Mission Control near Columbia is a bug? I thought it was a feature. (Isn't Areceibo somewhere there?) I actually like this. Gives extra complexity, using manned rockets to put up first comsat etc. I just thought there might be a bug with the self-build ground stations. (They behave weirdly, but I'll try to reproduce, and if I can, will come back.)

Anyway, have fun & thanks a again for the mod. It is really cool to play on real Earth. :).

I have a problem with TAC LS: Under RO, the mod seems to count the usage still in days, not in seconds, leading to ridiculously long survival times, and sometimes overflow.

I could fix this by manually mutliplying all the usage figs in the TACLS config file by 86400. However this doesn't seem to be right ;).

Did this (possible) bug happen before or shall I dig further? Where is it defined BTW that usage is now in s, not d?

I think I bad a similar issue. Are you on 24-hours-days? I was still on 6 hours when I stumbled upon those extra long times.

If your days are still 6 hours long, got to the settings on the main menu and change that (there is a small trigger button).

maybe that's something for the OP or the new wiki?

I think I bad a similar issue. Are you on 24-hours-days? I was still on 6 hours when I stumbled upon those extra long times.

If your days are still 6 hours long, got to the settings on the main menu and change that (there is a small trigger button).

maybe that's something for the OP or the new wiki?

I found that hint, and indeed was on a 6h day. However, when I changed to 24h, it did not improve.

I found that hint, and indeed was on a 6h day. However, when I changed to 24h, it did not improve.

You've got something wonky in your installation. Follow the OPs troubleshooting steps and get back to us.

New official release is out. ALPHA 11!

v6.0 ALPHA 11 \/

*Update ModuleManager to current v2.2.2

*MUCH better thrust curves for all but 30XL and Aerojet Atlas V SRB

*DRE Updates, Tweaks, Fixes - All over, still much to do, but should be playable

*FASA Apollo CSM file fix - typo rendered most of file unusable

*FASA Saturn APS Engine Fix - Pressurized Tank to feed pressurized engine

*FASA Gemini and Mercury fixes - Heatshield and retro rocket fixes

*Engine Node fixes - Re-adding bottom nodes for FAR compatibility

*Add CoM Shifter - Makes the "it's too hard" people happy

*Fix rover wheel consumption - since ALL_VESSEL is bugged

*NearFuture Updates (WIP) - Getting closer almost done

*Rework Solar Panels - New info, correctly measured sizes, etc.

*NovaPunch2 Updates (WIP) - About half done, engines need the most work, lot's of solids and curves to add.

*File Renaming for clarity - Makes it look prettier

*AIES and Squad Stock updates and fixes - Added default electricCharge to pods, and updated heatProduction figures that were wonky on engines

wow. Another update! Thanks.

You've got something wonky in your installation. Follow the OPs troubleshooting steps and get back to us.

I reinstalled twice. Only took the Mods named "required" and TAC LS. Both times:

1. it crashed on the first run.
  2. the 2nd time I started this, LS usage was off by a factor of 86400.

Here you can see the errorlog and the output log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6HjnvCVlg4eMjdUZUFMY0R6Vjg/edit?usp=sharing

any ideas? Thanks!

So, about that kOS script I wanted to make... I found what looks like a good source for creating something like it: https://globaljournals.org/GJSFR_Volume12/6-Computational-Algorithm-for-Gravity.pdf

...but I'm only in Algebra I and starting Geometry I in 2 weeks, so this stuff is very out of my depth. I tried interpreting it, but I'm guessing that there are concepts that I don't know about yet, so I'll wait until later. If someone else wants to give it a shot, I hope that the link I found is useful to you!

wow. Another update! Thanks.

I reinstalled twice. Only took the Mods named "required" and TAC LS. Both times:

1. it crashed on the first run.
  2. the 2nd time I started this, LS usage was off by a factor of 86400.

Here you can see the errorlog and the output log:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6HjnvCVlg4eMjdUZUFMY0R6Vjg/edit?usp=sharing

any ideas? Thanks!

Well your crash was due to out of memory.

Could I get a screenshot of what you are talking about with TAC_LS?

So, about that kOS script I wanted to make... I found what looks like a good source for creating something like it: https://globaljournals.org/GJSFR_Volume12/6-Computational-Algorithm-for-Gravity.pdf

...but I'm only in Algebra I and starting Geometry I in 2 weeks, so this stuff is very out of my depth. I tried interpreting it, but I'm guessing that there are concepts that I don't know about yet, so I'll wait until later. If someone else wants to give it a shot, I hope that the link I found is useful to you!

Heh. Interesting. I'll take a look at this - I've been looking at some gravity turn stuff too.