[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Speaking of which, I'll take suggestions for what to base the laser model on.

At first I was thinking along the lines of a sci-fi type of gun, but I could also do something more realistic like the US airforce ABL:

http://media1.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060322/060322_spacecom_airbone_hlg.grid-6x2.jpg

or the Navy's LaWS:

http://images.gizmag.com/inline/laws-6.png

Thoughts?

Personnaly i prefer the one from the US air force, it look more clean......

They're little green men, I don't think a more sci-fi lazor canon would be too out of place. Some glow'ey bits that coil around the barrel thing?

But every other bit in KSP is fairly realistic/ kinda rubbish looking. They're meant to have the tech of ~1970 (but with some futuristic extra bits). I still think the weird laser looks more cool.

Incredible work, the turrets are great fun and I can't wait to try the gattling gun. When you do the missiles though, could you possibly make them as two separate parts, a warhead and a delivery mechanism, as then you could customise the range and payload. You could put high yield missiles into small cargo bays by making them short range or make really precise long range missiles. It would also mean that you could drop the warheads as bombs, or stick them on top of a rocket for an interplanetary missile, or even make some kind of science missile with a sensor nose-cone and antenna on the delivery system instead of a warhead. Or just stick kerbals on your missiles for fun. :D

Incredible work, the turrets are great fun and I can't wait to try the gattling gun. When you do the missiles though, could you possibly make them as two separate parts, a warhead and a delivery mechanism, as then you could customise the range and payload. You could put high yield missiles into small cargo bays by making them short range or make really precise long range missiles. It would also mean that you could drop the warheads as bombs, or stick them on top of a rocket for an interplanetary missile, or even make some kind of science missile with a sensor nose-cone and antenna on the delivery system instead of a warhead. Or just stick kerbals on your missiles for fun. :D

+1 to everything he said!

One word.

RAILGUN

railgun_by_scarledian.png

Edit: I think that it would have a single shot, long reload if possible, or just one shot overheats it entirely and takes a min to cool, oh and if possible, pierce multiple layers of ships.

Edited by hydran101

Progress report:

I went with the ABL design for the laser. It's pretty much done; it just needs to be textured then I'll try to release it tomorrow along with the gatling gun tomorrow.

I spent hours today and yesterday writing the guidance code for the missiles... that was incredibly difficult but it's close to being finished. There's still alot of work to do on the missiles though so it won't be in the next release. Right now, the way I wrote it isn't very modular. The missile itself is just an object that disconnects; it isn't a Part or a Vessel so you can't watch it or attach stuff to it (Collider1's idea about having the payload as a separate part isn't possible till I figure out how to spawn a separate vessel.)

Anyways, here's a preview of what the first missiles will work like. I think it looks pretty cool:

Wow, this mod is shaping up to be fantastic! I can't wait to use the gatling gun and the tank turret when they come out. With the missiles on their way soon, along with the targeting system, do you have any plans for any IVA features? If you were able to, a toggle-able targeting HUD that could lock onto vessels/targets after a few seconds when aiming at them would be awesome. Idk if this would work with how the missiles are set up, but it would be sweet if it was able to be added at some point!

tFiuyNq.png

Ah, I didn't realise that the missile was actually being spawned. I was thinking of the delivery stage as essentially being a part that is a probe core, decoupler, fuel tank and engine rolled into one with automatic guidance mechanisms, that would work in the same way as a probe being detached from a rocket. Could you maybe make explosive nose cones though? They would be great for building ICBMs and guided bombs as lack of explosive power is the main problem with stock built missiles.

Also that drop and launch animation you've got is absolutely fantastic. Good job. :D

That makes me sense and I should have done that, but I thought for some reason that it would be better if the mount/decoupler thingy was already attached to the rocket. I'll probably end up changing it to a regular part.

I just got this awesome mental image of a part similar to the fold-away engines. Imagine this: two long doors on the side of a rocket, or under a wing or something. The doors open, the missile is lowered down on a little arm, released... and half a second later the engine on the missile fires off and the thing goes off to murder whoever it feels necessary. The little arm retracts, and the doors close. We assume at that moment (maybe accompanied by a little gear-turning sound) that the reloading mechanism is moving another spare missile into the launch mechanism.

Was just an interesting thought I had while reading the latest ideas. This definitely would not improve the chances of modularity. Oh well.

I just got this awesome mental image of a part similar to the fold-away engines. Imagine this: two long doors on the side of a rocket, or under a wing or something. The doors open, the missile is lowered down on a little arm, released... and half a second later the engine on the missile fires off and the thing goes off to murder whoever it feels necessary. The little arm retracts, and the doors close. We assume at that moment (maybe accompanied by a little gear-turning sound) that the reloading mechanism is moving another spare missile into the launch mechanism.

Was just an interesting thought I had while reading the latest ideas. This definitely would not improve the chances of modularity. Oh well.

Hehe that is pretty cool though. Maybe I could do both? I believe anything is possible.

Edited by BahamutoD

Update Please remove the old BDArmory folder before extracting. The folder structure has changed.

v0.2.0

-added 20mm Vulcan

-added "spindown animation"

-added 20x102mm ammo

-added another safety from shooting yourself

-added autolock feature

-added autoLockCapable config

-added AirBorneLaser

-added weaponType config (ballistic or laser)

-added smoke bullet hits

-fixed bug: bullet spawns far away from gun

-fixed: gun could cool to infinitely negative heat

-fixed: having multiple guns was quieter than having 1 gun

-fixed: worked while on rails timewarp

-possibly fixed: bullets and other raytraces collided with invisible stuff

-changed overheat behavior

-changed folder structure

-reduced size and mass of .50cal turret

-made unity setup a little more flexible (pitch/yaw transforms configurable)

Edited by BahamutoD

@Gaalidas

This sounds like something you could do by mounting the current missiles on an infernal robotics piston and then putting it in a b9 aerospace cargo bay (except for the sound at the end). Then again, one of the reasons I suggested the modular missiles is to improve the fit into cargo bays, so a dedicated missile bay could be quite useful.

Edited by Collider1

Oops I forgot to change two of the sound file paths in the ABL config when I initially uploaded the zip, so if you downloaded 0.2.0 before this post, either re-download it, or do this:

Go to BDArmory/Parts/ABL and open part.cfg. Go down the BahaTurret module, and change fireSoundPath and ChargeSoundPath to the following:

fireSoundPath = BDArmory/Parts/ABL/sounds/laser
chargeSoundPath = BDArmory/Parts/ABL/sounds/charge

Edited by BahamutoD

Don't suppose you could post a few screenshots of the Unity setup/tips on setting up a part to use the mod? Had a quick flick through the source-code and took a stab at it, but no luck.