[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

I love it! Keep in mind that that tank model of course has no detailing at all :).

I'm going to post the palette I'm using when I get home also - looks like you matched it exactly, but for the benefit of anyone else ;)

The part pack will have analogues of all Kethane bits (scanners, generators, etc.) and for that, if anyone has part packs I can bundle that are already under a CC license (or if you know of some) then by all means point them out - sharing is good, and while I will happily go it alone, collaboration and open licensing is also good.

Here take my sword. Here take my open source tanks

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/71204-Psyper-Multipurpose-Tanks-Co

I won't even begin to say I'm any good at mods but I put word out a while ago for people to add tanks that I can recolour in gimp to use for kethane addons. This was the result and you're more than welcome to use them as you see fit.

Whipped up 2.5m engine taking some ques from Nertea's tank and converters, keeping to the same color scheme. more of a workhorse engine, low efficiency and packs a decent punch. will create two sets of FX for Karbonite and LFOX modes.

http://i.imgur.com/Hi4huOe.png

I love it! Keep in mind that that tank model of course has no detailing at all :).

I'm going to post the palette I'm using when I get home also - looks like you matched it exactly, but for the benefit of anyone else ;)

Thank you sir for being awesome.

Wow, me like! I like the ideas here, sounds like it could be quite the alternative to Kethane. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Maijir, I like the way this is shaping up more than what Kethane is currently. I can't offer much in the way of development, as I'm only just getting into Unity dev, but if you need someone to bounce ideas off or test the build, I can help with that. I think I have finally stabilized my KSP, all my mods are talking nice to each other and I've yet to have an issue after a clean slate re-install.

Here's the palette, I labeled about what colours I'm using for what. It's of course up to the individual modeler whether they want to use them, but hey, consistency is good. The darkish grey and nearly-white colour are both the same as Squad's as used, for example, in the FLT-series fuel tanks, so they will mesh well.

palette.png

Also I'd want to see how it fits on 1.25/2.5m cylinders because it does look a bit flat, so it may have issues with curvature

Why not re-texture the stock radial air scoop?

Feature: Map Overlay

I really rather like the Kethane style map overlay as opposed to the hotspots, those kind of lack visual appeal. Kethane lets you switch between different resources in map view which is great, but if you only display one at a time that makes it hard to spot overlaps, right?

I was thinking you could do a similar geodesic pattern overlay that might make it easier to spot the resources and see where you have/have not scanned and then configure it with adjustable display filters, so you could more easily find that sweet substrate/mineral/ore/karbonite colony location we all dream about, (if it exists).

73c32973543fd5d1827ae725ae92f143784b5f97.jpg

Edited by Smurfalot

Why not re-texture the stock radial air scoop?

Feature: Map Overlay

I really rather like the Kethane style map overlay as opposed to the hotspots, those kind of lack visual appeal. Kethane lets you switch between different resources in map view which is great, but if you only display one at a time that makes it hard to spot overlaps, right?

I was thinking you could do a similar geodesic pattern overlay that might make it easier to spot the resources and see where you have/have not scanned and then configure it with adjustable display filters, so you could more easily find that sweet substrate/mineral/ore/karbonite colony location we all dream about, (if it exists).

http://donhavey.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/icosahedron.jpg

Nice idea, out of scope for first release ;)

Tank is good enough for a first pass now. Will get normals later I expect. Expect it in your inbox soon Rover ;)

karbonite3.png

I also decided to release some stuff if anyone want to use it for this project:

125attachTemplate.png

This is a near-replica of Squad's 1.25m "tank end" template. Provided in weathered and pristine versions. It can fit either on a geometric version or a flat version Here's the psd!

I may not bother to make parts, looks like Nertea and Nli2work have it taken care of. I've tried a couple of different things on the air scoop, but I can't do that much. If there are any smaller/simpler parts you want made send me a PM.

I may not bother to make parts, looks like Nertea and Nli2work have it taken care of. I've tried a couple of different things on the air scoop, but I can't do that much. If there are any smaller/simpler parts you want made send me a PM.

I think the airscoop looked good. It would definitely be better than a retextured stock radial intake.

you got a good start on the air scoop, don't drop it yet. :). You want to add some small chamfer on the leading edges of the intake and the vanes to give them a little more beef. also adjust the smoothing to help define the "planes" in your design. triangle count is not a huge concern in KSP and you can certainly put some more on the intake. You are probably in the low-hundreds right now. take it up to 1k and see how much more you can do.

Consider it's purpose, aerodynamic efficiency is not as much a priority as "eating up" as much atmosphere as possible, so the intake can stand to be much larger. With that you can design a larger body, and that gives you space to add more visual elements. Things like vents, hoses, grills are all good options for this. look at the vents on Nertea's parts; or the cooling vanes on my engine; for example.

you got a good start on the air scoop, don't drop it yet. :). You want to add some small chamfer on the leading edges of the intake and the vanes to give them a little more beef. also adjust the smoothing to help define the "planes" in your design. triangle count is not a huge concern in KSP and you can certainly put some more on the intake. You are probably in the low-hundreds right now. take it up to 1k and see how much more you can do.

Consider it's purpose, aerodynamic efficiency is not as much a priority as "eating up" as much atmosphere as possible, so the intake can stand to be much larger. With that you can design a larger body, and that gives you space to add more visual elements. Things like vents, hoses, grills are all good options for this. look at the vents on Nertea's parts; or the cooling vanes on my engine; for example.

Thanks, it's currently at 60 tri's, so I will add a lot more detail tomorrow. Also, on the texture I'm currently using a 512x512, is that a good size? @RoverDude, would you rather have inline scoops or radial?

Thanks, it's currently at 60 tri's, so I will add a lot more detail tomorrow. Also, on the texture I'm currently using a 512x512, is that a good size? @RoverDude, would you rather have inline scoops or radial?

It was an excellent start - don't be shy on the tris ;) It's generally not tricount that slows down KSP - The MKS parts are all in the 3K-5K range (as an example).

I'd say do that radial one you started - that's perfect for 2.5/1.25. Here's the WIP (not done greebling yet, needs some finned vents and I want to round off the intake edges) on my 0.625 micro scoop:

4MOBj9C.png

And oh yeah... first part!!!!

bdRx2o9.png

For modelers:

Please let me know how you want your name in the credits.

Please put your name in the stub CFGs you send me

Please let me know if you want a different manufacturer other than Umbra Space Industries - I'll add it to the backstory for the mod ('a collaboration between USI and XYZ corp')

And thank you again for being incredibly awesome :)

And oh yeah... first part!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/bdRx2o9.png

That should be 'its' not "it's".

The first is possessive, what you have there is a contraction of "it is".

This post brought to you by the internet grammar police, your friendly(er) grammar inspectors.

*walks away humming the theme from The Bill. (An older version, not the new one that was all different and probably contributed to the cancelling of the show)*

Anyway, this mod looks interesting. People have tried before to make a rival for Kethane, but I *remember* don't them having a lot of success. It could be interesting to try both, if you get everything up and running.

Edited by Tw1

That should be 'its' not "it's".

The first is possessive, what you have there is a contraction of "it is".

This post brought to you by the internet grammar police, your friendly(er) grammar inspectors.

*walks away humming the theme from The Bill. (An older version, not the new one that was all different and probably contributed to the cancelling of the show)*

Anyway, this mod looks interesting. People have tried before to make a rival for Kethane, but I don't them having a lot of success. It could be interesting to try both, if you get everything up and running.

Thanks for the correction.

Best bit is I am 100% certain of everything being up and running, and pretty darn confident of success. Oh - and is it irony to correct the grammar on "I don't them having a lot of success"? ;)

Anyway, this mod looks interesting. People have tried before to make a rival for Kethane, but I don't them having a lot of success. It could be interesting to try both, if you get everything up and running.

Oh I don't see any issue getting this up and running =)

I really love the community effort that's going into this mod! Its nice seeing everyone pitching in, makes for a better mod! Will definitely be a must use for me as soon as its in a usable state :)

I don't have much coding or modeling experience, least i can do is help bug hunt.

Good news everyone!

We have the first Karbonite extraction :D

Moving onto a WIP converter till I get some lovely models in my hands. No reason why we won't have something testable as a super-pre-alpha this weekend, at least for the 'scrappy startup' parts.