[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

This is going to be great! Looking forward to using this! :)

Yep, there will be an early scary early release - very wip, only for test purposes (mostly balance, etc.) - working on the generators right now, I'll need to do a bit of plugin goodness, so worst case I'll release for test sans animation

I may not bother to make parts, looks like Nertea and Nli2work have it taken care of. I've tried a couple of different things on the air scoop, but I can't do that much. If there are any smaller/simpler parts you want made send me a PM.

Your work is far better than anything I could ever do. Cheers for trying.

It was an excellent start - don't be shy on the tris ;) It's generally not tricount that slows down KSP - The MKS parts are all in the 3K-5K range (as an example).

Mesh tri count definitely does nothing to slow KSP down. (KSP doesn't have that much polygons on screen in the first place)

Collider polygon count does, and you want to use sets of box colliders wherever possible anyway. :)

Just handing out a show of interest! While Kethane is my current go-to system, I'm not opposed to swapping it out in the interest of cross-mod compatibility, especially if you can get SCANSat mapping support. So far, it looks like its design direction is going to overshadow Kethane in many ways. This is definitely on my watch list now.

Mesh tri count definitely does nothing to slow KSP down. (KSP doesn't have that much polygons on screen in the first place)

Collider polygon count does, and you want to use sets of box colliders wherever possible anyway. :)

This. I either have box colliders, or twelve sided cylinders. Sometimes custom shapes. The MKS modules only have ten sided coliders (the cube tapers at the top).

But in any case, the very best thing to do is get out there and just iterate :D

probably been covered already... what is the natural state of Karbonite? Gas? Liquid? Solid? some combination?

Surely the "natural state" would depend of environmental conditions? And therefore it would exist in all states somewhere in nature?

Surely the "natural state" would depend of environmental conditions? And therefore it would exist in all states somewhere in nature?

This is correct.

One of the earlier thread posts justified chemically how it could be in different forms. On most planets it will be a solid that's extracted out, but can also be harvested from the atmosphere (with places like Jool being swirling balls of the stuff), and places like Eve having (literallty) oceans of rocket fuel.

(edit)

I think we can assume, fiction wise, that once harvested, it is generally stored in a liquid form.

cool. I meant in whatever form when used directly as engine fuel. these two engines will be good diversion while wrangling RPM monitor settings. :D

Edited by nli2work

So things are shaping up nicely - working on the converter code to add in animations and optional particle effects to the standard KSP generator module, hope to have that wrapped up today, then it's off to atmospheric and oceanic resources.

The random map generation by Arrowstar is beautiful (it makes randomized Karbonite deposits, in the shape of small concentrations as well as impact craters and some random shapes), the models are amazing, and overall I think we're in excellent shape to get a first alpha out for testing this weekend (I for one plan on spending my entire flight back from LA to NYC on the plane working on code and configs).

I just wanted to say again how amazing it is that the community is coming behind this idea, and everyone's contributions are greatly appreciated. I stand in awe at your modeling and artistic talents and your generosity!

If Arrowstars code could become ORS standard, that would be great. The PNG-system is nice, but generating them is way too much work. Maybe contact Fractal_UK and ask him, randomised ressources would be a nice addition for KSPI too :)

Looking forward to Karbinite alpha :)

So a quick design note.

Karbonite will have a mass of 0.0125. This puts it at 2.5 times the mass of Liquid Fuel/Oxidizer, which I think is a good thing. It encourages conversion, with the loss in mass being the waste product. And it makes Karbonite-driven engines and generators less of a slam-dunk because of the weight, so there will be choices to be made. It may be that I compensate the mass and low ISP for greater thrust, etc. (basically balance it out in a way where there will be cases for both).

So a quick design note.

Karbonite will have a mass of 0.0125. This puts it at 2.5 times the mass of Liquid Fuel/Oxidizer, which I think is a good thing. It encourages conversion, with the loss in mass being the waste product. And it makes Karbonite-driven engines and generators less of a slam-dunk because of the weight, so there will be choices to be made. It may be that I compensate the mass and low ISP for greater thrust, etc. (basically balance it out in a way where there will be cases for both).

I could imagine Karbonite engines beeing a little like the aluminum hybrid rocket rocket from KSPI. Low ISP, high thrust, easy to refuel, good joice for on-planet operations and maybe trips to low orbit, poor joice for longer journeys (good joice for Jool flybys, scoop ftw! ;-))

I could imagine Karbonite engines beeing a little like the aluminum hybrid rocket rocket from KSPI. Low ISP, high thrust, easy to refuel, good joice for on-planet operations and maybe trips to low orbit, poor joice for longer journeys (good joice for Jool flybys, scoop ftw! ;-))

On that note... one of the more perposterous and bordering on ludicrous ideas I have is to enable dive bombing of Karbonite-rich atmospheres like Jool with large-scale cloud harvesters. Basically, ram the atmosphere as hard as you can to maximize, during the aerobrake, the sheer quantity of air going into the intakes. Then at AP, rendezvous with a ship to drop off your cargo, or use a Karbonite engine to pull your AP out of the atmosphere only to do the whole exercise again. Lucrative but incredibly risky. Just the kind of job for Kerbals.

Are there any thoughts on having a dedicated RPM screen for this? And if so, what would said dedicated screen show?

Let's see if someone makes one ;)

Launch is all about cheap and cheerful - I then expect the community will fill in all of the gaps, given the open licensing of Karbonite.