[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

If Arrowstars code could become ORS standard, that would be great. The PNG-system is nice, but generating them is way too much work. Maybe contact Fractal_UK and ask him, randomised ressources would be a nice addition for KSPI too :)

Looking forward to Karbinite alpha :)

I donated my code to RoverDude, so if he wants to contribute to ORS with it, he totally can! :)

Edit: here's what the code can do:

hz49vEv.png

Edited by Arrowstar

Are there any thoughts on having a dedicated RPM screen for this? And if so, what would said dedicated screen show?
I donated my code to RoverDude, so if he wants to contribute to ORS with it, he totally can! :)

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why open licensing is good.

In other glorious news, I have just finished testing the fully functional and animated converter (the little fans move properly when any of the generators are active).

So at this point, I'm preparing to start wrapping things up for a pre- release. Once I get the first extractor from Nertea, I'll whip up a variant of the MKS module base to serve as a mining platform part (it would fit in between the extractor and something on top - converter or tank).

On that note... one of the more perposterous and bordering on ludicrous ideas I have is to enable dive bombing of Karbonite-rich atmospheres like Jool with large-scale cloud harvesters. Basically, ram the atmosphere as hard as you can to maximize, during the aerobrake, the sheer quantity of air going into the intakes. Then at AP, rendezvous with a ship to drop off your cargo, or use a Karbonite engine to pull your AP out of the atmosphere only to do the whole exercise again. Lucrative but incredibly risky. Just the kind of job for Kerbals.

This tactic will most likely be how I get Karbonite for my Jool System bases. (I'll probably set up some bases in the Jool system) The reason is that Jool is a gas giant, so I won't have to spend ages searching for a patch of Karbonite in an ocean or on land. I could just dive-bomb the atmosphere with a collector ship.

This tactic will most likely be how I get Karbonite for my Jool System bases. (I'll probably set up some bases in the Jool system) The reason is that Jool is a gas giant, so I won't have to spend ages searching for a patch of Karbonite in an ocean or on land. I could just dive-bomb the atmosphere with a collector ship.

One part I want to make is a giant (2.5m or 3.75m) collector that is conical, but when activated, the sides fan out like petals, making it a giant air funnel. Possibly with appropriate shark-like nose art....

One part I want to make is a giant (2.5m or 3.75m) collector that is conical, but when activated, the sides fan out like petals, making it a giant air funnel. Possibly with appropriate shark-like nose art....

That sounds awesome!

like kethane the converters and generators will only run when there is room for the resources they produce right? or like stock will they continue to consume and dump excess product even after its run out of space?

It should stop the converter, I'll ensure that's the correct behavior since it has a custom plugin anyway

How does the converter work?

Converting Karbonite to LF/OX at the same time, or like the Kethane converter (conversion to LF, OX, MP, Xe) with heat generation or something similar?

How does the converter work?

Converting Karbonite to LF/OX at the same time, or like the Kethane converter (conversion to LF, OX, MP, Xe) with heat generation or something similar?

Three separate converters you can turn on/off independently, all on the same part. The more you have on, the more electric charge it sucks out. No heat generation, just resource costs.

If we end up in a place with enough models, I would not be opposed at all to changing that, but with just one, that's where we're at ;) Could also be a case where the 2.5m can do all three, but smaller ones (1.25/0.625) can only do one, and at lower efficiency.

i wonder , reading all these posts about atmospheric collection of karbonite...

I do hope that basic mining (thus drilling into rock to get to stuff) will be possible and mainstay functionality, right ?

and that this mod will produce several resources to harvest and monetize / use, right ? (i don´t know why I keep getting back to the money-thing but thats what makes these kind of games fun for me...)

thx and cheers

i wonder , reading all these posts about atmospheric collection of karbonite...

I do hope that basic mining (thus drilling into rock to get to stuff) will be possible and mainstay functionality, right ?

and that this mod will produce several resources to harvest and monetize / use, right ? (i don´t know why I keep getting back to the money-thing but thats what makes these kind of games fun for me...)

thx and cheers

That's right. Karbonite will mostly be extracted out of the surface as a solid, and will also be extracted as a liquid (oceans of Eve), besides that there will be atmospheric scoops for collecting Karbonite when in an atmospere.

After that you extracted Karbonite, you can convert it into Liquid Fuel, Oxidizer and RCS. Later, it will maybe be used as a sellable resource.

FYI sellable would be purely a function of recovery and cost. Probably not the most valuable thing in the world though, it's cost would be inline with liquid fuel / oxidizer.

Considering that you have to pull it out of the ground, Jool's atmosphere or Eve's oceans, I think it should be worth a little more than 0.8 or 0.18.

But this really hinges on how abundant it will be on Kerbin... Any thoughts on that? Should resource maps be randomly generated for all bodies?

Considering that you have to pull it out of the ground, Jool's atmosphere or Eve's oceans, I think it should be worth a little more than 0.8 or 0.18.

But this really hinges on how abundant it will be on Kerbin... Any thoughts on that? Should resource maps be randomly generated for all bodies?

Dunno, consider that liquid fuel is already past the refining phase, a raw material is generally less, otherwise there would be no market (why buy Karbonite when it's more expensive than just using rocket fuel?)

Ideally (and this is a coding thing) it will be random on all bodies (there will be some parameters for how random), but I have to sort out some coding bits first, and also see how ORS handles it's resource maps, etc.

Dunno, consider that liquid fuel is already past the refining phase, a raw material is generally less, otherwise there would be no market (why buy Karbonite when it's more expensive than just using rocket fuel?)

Ideally (and this is a coding thing) it will be random on all bodies (there will be some parameters for how random), but I have to sort out some coding bits first, and also see how ORS handles it's resource maps, etc.

what... might be fun. but too... complex for this mod maybe. is to have different forms of karbonite. like... I dunno.. crystalline carbonite, gaseous, liquid, solidified.. any of these? with slightly different yields or abilities. and you could only find some of the more valuable forms on some of the more arduous planets?

what... might be fun. but too... complex for this mod maybe. is to have different forms of karbonite. like... I dunno.. crystalline carbonite, gaseous, liquid, solidified.. any of these? with slightly different yields or abilities. and you could only find some of the more valuable forms on some of the more arduous planets?

Why not. The whole thing with karbonite is that it's as open as possible.

So...You want to take the worms of Dune and put them in Jool's atmosphere at ridiculous speeds?

I have no problem with this.

Why not. The whole thing with karbonite is that it's as open as possible.

Correct on both counts. But only one resource for the base mod - people are free to extend and play with it as they see fit beyond that :)

So...You want to take the worms of Dune and put them in Jool's atmosphere at ridiculous speeds?

I have no problem with this.

Was not thinking in those terms, but I expect it's only a matter of time before someone adds spice as a resource.

Nothing saying you couldn't create a new, valuable resource whose purpose is to be returned to Kerbin for mad stacks of cash. Perhaps the elusive element, hemhemjamib.

At least, I assume that's how moddable Karbonite will be. If I can add or edit resources just by editing some text files I will be one happy customer.

well. that would depend on wether or not karbonite has any functions beyond liquid fuel (perhaps applications outside the space program). although that's not a reason to make it any more expensive for balance reasons.

SCANsat has been updated with Karbonite support for ORS overlays: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80661?p=1301456&viewfull=1#post1301456

Attach this module to whatever part you want to act as the scanner, or change the bitmask to the proper value to combine it with other resource types.

@PART[*your_part_name*]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[SCANsat]
{
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 262144
fov = 4
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 750000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Karbonite Scan
power = 0.5
}
}

SCANsat has been updated with Karbonite support for ORS overlays: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80661?p=1301456&viewfull=1#post1301456

Attach this module to whatever part you want to act as the scanner, or change the bitmask to the proper value to combine it with other resource types.

@PART[*your_part_name*]:FOR[Karbonite]:NEEDS[SCANsat]
{
MODULE
{
name = SCANsat
sensorType = 262144
fov = 4
min_alt = 5000
max_alt = 750000
best_alt = 100000
scanName = Karbonite Scan
power = 0.5