Too many KSP versions on my PC

Bioman222

I need help. I have about 31 gigabytes of KSP versions on my PC, which holds about 250 gigabytes. However, I have about 6 gigabytes of space left in my hard drive, and I need some more open space. On top of that, I am getting a new laptop in the coming months, and don't want to upgrade my current one. What do I do?

Edited by Bioman222

Featherweight! I have 66.5 gigs of KSP! :wink:

Buy a bigger drive. Hard discs are cheap nowadays.

^ this is good advice. By the way, KSP is apparently not very impressed with SSDs, so moving the KSPs to a magnetic disk would allow for a much larger number of installs.

Yes, but maybe not enough to be really useful. A clean install of 0.24 is approx. 2.25gig. Using 7zip with default settings gives a file of 753 meg, so for each copy of KSP you will save approx. 1.5 gig...

Yes, but maybe not enough to be really useful. A clean install of 0.24 is approx. 2.25gig. Using 7zip with default settings gives a file of 753 meg, so for each copy of KSP you will save approx. 1.5 gig...

and he has 31GB of KSPs , which are 10-15 versions. I dont know why someone would have more then 4 versions if you keep 32bit/64bit and the last version.... why have older ones?

Nostalgia, of course! I have all the versions .15 up, and the .13.3 demo and .10.3!

but you dont play them active. So, put them in a nice ZIP or RAR file and in a folder called "KSP Archive" . And if you want to play one of them, unpack and go. But keeping all unpacked and "ready to play" costs alot of space, which you dont have :)

and he has 31GB of KSPs , which are 10-15 versions. I dont know why someone would have more then 4 versions if you keep 32bit/64bit and the last version.... why have older ones?

Different mod sets, for one. Many mods don't play well together, or have serious thematic differences, or don't contribute to a flavor you're trying to create. That also throws in the issue of mods that haven't been updated, so you might have one set that requires a .23 or .22 install etc.

Stock saves are KINDA forward compatible, but not completely. A long 0.23 career really shouldn't be upgraded to 0.24 unless you're prepared for weirdness, lossage, and unbalancedness. Modded saves are rather NOT forward compatible, so it's advisable to finish playing a save on a particular install.

That and space is cheap. I have 200G of SSD free, and uh 1150G of magnetic free, without any attempt at housecleaning. That and about eight free SATA ports and ten free drive slots..

move the versions you never use on an external storage.

I guess you never use or play all of them :)

^ that's also a good idea. Plus you actually CAN play from external storage if it's like a decent USB hard drive or flash stick.

WinDirStat will show you what's using your disk space. Can be very useful, you might be surprised at what's hogging the drive.

^ I strongly recommend doing this too. WinDirStat is free/open source and quite nice.

WinDirStat will show you what's using your disk space. Can be very useful, you might be surprised at what's hogging the drive.

winsxs anyone? That folder is the most useless thing I've ever had on my computer, taking up precious space. It's even worse if you're using an SSD. I do, and my winsxs folder is using up more than 10% of the total capacity - 13 gigs. The absolute worst thing is that you can't even delete it since it contains system files. I did that once and it completely broke the Windows Update thing.

winsxs anyone? That folder is the most useless thing I've ever had on my computer, taking up precious space. ... The absolute worst thing is that you can't even delete it since it contains system files. I did that once and it completely broke the Windows Update thing.

I think you just found out why WinSXS is not useless. The OS needs it to function correctly (or at all in some cases). It's very likely a lot of things broke in subtle (or not so subtle) ways you simply didn't notice, or that later got fixed.

The specific use of the WinSXS folder is to handle version conflicts in libraries used by the stuff you've installed. Deleting it will simply remove the libraries required by those programs, and they'll break. The more stuff you've installed, the more devastating removing the WinSXS folder will be. Right after a fresh Windows install, removing it probably won't have much impact. Do it on a computer that's been in use for a few years and you'll probably end up reinstalling the OS to fix all the problems caused.

you actually CAN play from external storage if it's like a decent USB hard drive or flash stick.

I would not put them on a flash drive, since they're so easy to lose and if they fail you're screwed. A USB HDD would be just fine though since they're a lot easier to keep track of and have a low rate of failure vs flash drives. But it is certainly possible to play from a drive connected via USB.

My compression of the KSP files just failed. I didn't have enough space on my computer.

Are you trying to compress them all at once?

You should compress #1, delete #1, compress #2, delete #2 and so on (that is, delete the non-compressed version). You'll need adequate storage space for the compressed version of #1, but after that you should be fine.

If you don't have enough space to even do that, there's no harm in temporarily transferring a couple of version to a flash drive whilst you carry out the process.

Whatever you do, I agree with the first reply to this thread; the HDD in my PC cost less than £50 for 2TB, and that's far more space than I'll ever need. Once you've got one you can move it between machines anyway :P

Edited by Epthelyn

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.