Your opinion on music?

Rainbowtrout

Couldn't see a thread about this, and it is a fairly big topic: What types of music do you like, or anything in particular?

Some of you that know me well are aware that I view Nightcore as the music genre, although classical music is another favourite. Not to mention Weird Al is pretty good. Never been a fan of more "popular" music. It's overused, and portrays a negative image. Vocaloid is good, as well.

Discuss!

Oh, all over the place. Generally, I don't really play favorites to genres. The only dislike I have of a genre comes if I dislike the songs in it, I won't avoid a whole genre if I dislike one song from it. I also don't care much about popularity, doesn't matter to me if it's mainstream or ultra obscure indie stuff, if it's good music I'll judge it as such. That doesn't mean I'm exactly a fan of the large-scale music industry, but that's a point for another thread...

Here are a few examples of preferences:

More, but the forum only lets me embed 5 videos:

Pink Floyd - Any Colour You Like (live version):

Steely Dan - Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBp_ox14ruo

The XX - Infinity (Bachelors Of Science remix):

Camel - Lady Fantasy:

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2FzqxV-oE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RoPtTEswWM

Edited by NovaSilisko

I'll listen to pretty much everything but mainstream hiphop. But I'm pretty particular about all of it. A few bands or songs from each genre that I really enjoy. I lean a bit heavy towards metal/rock though.

Nightwish

Meatloaf

Journey

Pink Floyd

Michael Jackson

Sarah Brightman

Manowar

Queen

TSO

And for more classical stuff...

Phantom of the Opera (Andrew Lloyd Webber)

War of the Worlds (Jeff Wayne)

James Horner

Jerry Goldsmith

Those last two are all over my KSP music playlist.

I love electronic music - well, most of it. I hate the extremely generic kind of electronic music that's played on the radio 10 times every single day. I listen to the slightly less popular stuff.

Bands/artists such as:

Pendulum

Fox Stevenson

Feint

Knife Party

Overwerk

And so on.

Here's one of my new favourites. Hatsune Miku and Dubstep go together quite well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVyzd-llwgc

Yes I am aware that vocaloids aren't real "singers" and that's probably for the best. Music is sound that is linked together in a way that appeals to the brain.

Edited by Rainbowtrout

I like good music. Bad music, not so much.

Oh, you diplomatic dodgeballer! :sticktongue:

I mostly listen to soundtracks when a games original music gets to repetetive (because I play it to much :P ) - in general I have no real preferences, just some real no-goes.

Music I like doesn't really depend on the genre, if I listen to a song, I either like it or not, so my MP3 collection is a hodgepodge of many kinds of music from various eras.

However, if I had to pick favorites, I would say music from the 1980s, especially Hungarian rock music from the 1980s, and Gypsy music.

I also like Communist propaganda music, I don't agree with the ideology, but it's great motivational music when you're feeling lazy or depressed.

Guest Fyre Flare
Yes, yes it is. Though some anime theme songs annoy others, like the Squid Girl season 1 opening.

I still have nightmares about that song.

Sword Art Online has gr8 music, Just splendid music.

Yes, yes it is. Though some anime theme songs annoy others, like the Squid Girl season 1 opening.

Not watching Squid Girl, but yes, anime intros can be eggcellent!

My favs are Cowboy Bebop, Attack n Titan, Mirai Nikki and Code Geass.

cant post the Mirai Nikki one since its a bit gory, but it's good!

Guest Fyre Flare
But yes, anime intros can be eggcellent!

My favs are Cowboy Bebop, Attack n Titan, Mirai Nikki and Code Geass.

cant post the Mirai Nikki one since its a bit gory, but it's good!

SAO has teh best.

When did this turn into an Anime discussion?

Edited by Fyre Flare

Music is good. The music industry? Not so much. The focus is on the god-awful, indecent, and downright repetitive pop, these days. Some of it I wouldn't even call music, just garbled noise.

Myself? I listen to good, proper music. Let's see... rock, alternative, soundtrack, and -- oh crap, there's actually a pop artist here. How this happened I have no idea, but there she is.

Firstly, the Rock/Alternative section, which is by far the largest:

Muse (sky-rocketed to the position of 'Favourite Band')

Red Hot Chilli Peppers (relegated to second favourite)

Queen (for the record, I didn't actually put these in order of favourites. Queen ranks perhaps 7th on this list)

Paramore (save for their more recent, more pop album)

Lostprophets (though admittedly since certain allegations against Ian Watkins, I've listened to the album I have just once)

The Darkness (I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOOOOOOVE)

Fleetwood Mac (I've run out of things to say in brackets now...)

Foo Fighters (...)

The Offspring (Umm...)

Linkin Park (Err...)

Deep Purple (specifically, Child in Time. What a song)

Uprising, by Muse (IMO, their best song, though they have many others):

Soundtrack:

Mass Effect

Halo

Requiem for a Dream

Stellardrone (I've got Echoes and Light Years, both beautiful and space-y electronic. I've put them under soundtrack because they could be just that; perfect soundtrack pieces)

Greatest Journey, Halo 3:

Light Years (the song, not the album), Stellardrone:

Ok, the pop. This is genuinely the only pop I like, but that's probably because it's the chilled sort of pop. Quiet, calm, nice to listen to.

Birdy. I was just browsing music one day, listening to stuff, and this stuck out like a sore thumb, only in a better way than any actual sore thumb could ever be.

Wings:

Words as Weapons:

Mainly anything by good ol' Mr. Johnny Cash...

I never thought that I'd ever see a Brony (Or so I assume) who liked the Cash in my lifetime. Points to you!

I don't know. To rerail the train, classical music is always good, no matter the context.

*Silently Fumes In Disagreement*

Music is good. The music industry? Not so much. The focus is on the god-awful, indecent, and downright repetitive pop, these days. Some of it I wouldn't even call music, just garbled noise.

~Snip~

To stea-er-reuse a joke from Pablo Francisco, most pop music sounds like you're turning the radio dial looking for a good station to listen to. Especially Dubstep. Stuff sounds more like a cat playing a poorly-soldered synthesizer with junk components and/or blown valves. No offense to the Dubstep fans out there, though.

As for the music industry... Don't get me started.

As for the music that I like, here's a cross-section:

Pink Floyd

Johnny Cash

Darius Rucker

Fleetwood Mac

Crosby, Stills & Nash

Frank Sinatra

Weird Al Yankovic

George Carlin (Audiobooks and Comedy Show Recordings, not Music per se)

Soviet Propaganda/March/Parade Music

Tom Lehrer

Def Leppard

Bo Burnham

Kraftwerk

Hank Williams Jr.

Rucka Rucka Ali (Don't look him up if you're at work or have small children in the room)

Tesla

Creedenc Clearwater Revival

Edited by Flymetothemun

I never thought that I'd ever see a Brony (Or so I assume) who liked the Cash in my lifetime. Points to you!

I also like the Temptations and other bands from that era as well... also don't forget Clearwater Creedence Revival. I never really liked modern day music (i.e. pop etc)

Soviet Propaganda/March/Parade Music

a14uAzP.png Edited by General Rarity

I also like the Temptations and other bands from that era as well... also don't forget Clearwater Creedence Revival. I never really liked modern day music (i.e. pop etc)

Loads of points for you! I love CCR too, never thought to put it in the list. Also looked up the Temptations, Always liked the style of music but never could put a name on it. If you're a fan of Vegas-style lounge music, look up Richard Cheese. He makes Lounge-style covers and remakes of rock and pop songs.

Damn Assumers *grumble* Capitalism

Man I don't think I can pick a genre which I like the most, it would have to be either dubstep/techno or Australian country would be my top picks. Ignite by Noisestorm for the techno and Dimantina Drover by John Willamson for the Australian country, Graham Connors is good also.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.