[1.0.5] Science Containers v.08.3

SirDargon

[1.0.5] Science Containers v.08.3

This mod will no longer be updated (at least by me). My new mod, Science Hard Drives, will end up incorporating the main idea behind this mod in it once development is complete.

Are you tired of having to make Jebediah EVA every time you want to move all your science into the crew capsule? Or have you ever wanted to create a unmanned probe to send all that science back to Kerbin?

If so, Sir Dargon's Science Containers are here to help! Via right-click menu or action group, transfer all science aboard your vessel to a single container at once (even science in experiments from mods).

With this, your Kerbals' no longer need to leave the capsule to move science. Making a probe to send all science back to Kerbin for study just got easier.

Always delete the entire folder for this mod when you go to update!

If you are using a version before v.08, recover your vessels that are using these parts before installing this update .

Be sure to update any saved vessels in the VAB or SPH that used these parts after installing.

Parts:

• This mod no longer has any parts of its own, but is now integrated into every part with a command module or Science Lab.

Known Bugs:

• None. Let me know if you find any please.

Requires:

• Module Manager

3wZUWBM.png

Usage:

Use the "Collect Rerunnable/All Data" button to toggle between the 2 options.

Use the "Toggle Auto Collect" button to toggle Auto Collect. If the "Collect Rerunnable/All Data" button is set to "Rerunnable", only ScienceData in a rerunnable container will be collected, else if it's set to "All Data", all ScienceData will be collected.

Use the "Collect Data (#)" button to collect all ScienceData on a vessel. If the "Collect Rerunnable/All Data" button is set to "Rerunnable", A prompt will popup asking if you want to only collect rerunnable ScienceData or all ScienceData, else if it's set to "All Data", all ScienceData will be collected.

Use the "Review Data (#)" button to review all ScienceData collected by the Science Container.

While on EVA, use the "Collect Data (#)" button to collect all ScienceData on a vessel. If the "Collect Rerunnable/All Data" button is set to "Rerunnable", A prompt will popup asking if you want to only collect rerunnable ScienceData or all ScienceData, else if it's set to "All Data", all ScienceData will be collected.

While on EVA use the "Store Data (#)" button to store any ScienceData that the Kerbal is carrying into the Science Container.

While on EVA use the "Retrieve Data (#)" button to have the Kerbal retrieve any ScienceData that is in the Science Container.

The "Collect Data (#)" buttons are only shown when there is ScienceData that can be collected.

The "Review Data (#)" button is only shown when there is ScienceData in the Science Container.

The "Store Data (#)" button is only shown is there is ScienceData being held by the EVAing Kerbal.

The "Retrieve Data (#)" button is only shown when there is ScienceData in the Science Container.

Change Log:

v.08.3 (by DMagic):
Updates a few things to make it work in 1.0.5

v.08.2:
Surface Samples and EVA reports are now able to be stored with one click with all other data being carried by a Kerbal

v.08.1:
Fixed typo in mod folder
Removed a test print
Added Science Container to Science Lab

v.08:
Complete rewrite!
No long any separate parts! Science Containers is now integrated into every part that has a Command Module!
Removed ConfigureableScienceData dependency

v.07.1:
Fixed Action group actions for Auto-collecting Containers
Science is now recoverable in containers
Fixed Lab boost showing with now lab on vessel

v.07:
Changed File Structure
Integrated ConfigureableScienceData
Added actions to turn on, off and toggle auto-collecting
Allowed the manual collecting of nonrerunnable science to auto-collecting containers possible

v.06.3:
Fixed the title and description for Auto Collecting Science Containers

v.06.2:
Hoxfix: Fixed code relating to the review screen and labBoost (forgot to revert)

v.06.1:
Hotfix: Removed some incorrect code...

v.06:
Added Auto Collecting Science Containers (and 3 parts that use them)

v.05.3:
Hotfix: Fixed the boost amount on DMagic's ScienceData

v.05.2:
Hotfix: Remove the ability for ScienceData to be boosted by a lab more than once

v.05.1
Added compatibility with DMagic's ScienceData so that they keep their 50% labBoost

v.05:
Cleaned up code
Fixed bug where stock experiments couldn't be sent to the lab (Thank you [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/members/64293-7H3LaughingMan"]7H3LaughingMan[/URL] for the fix)
Added a warning prompt when you go to collect data and a nonrerunnable experiment contains data
Added the ability to suppress said warning prompt via right-click menu
Removed AutoCollectScienceContainer for now (will be fully implemented and add in the next release)

v .04:
Fixed a bug that messed with the lab boost when you use a science lab
Added the ability to retrieve and store science with a Kerbal in EVA (Thank you [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/members/59127-DMagic"]DMagic[/URL] and [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/members/64293-7H3LaughingMan"]7H3LaughingMan[/URL] for telling me how to accomplish this)
Lessened the spam when data is added to a Science Container
There is a module (that isn't implemented yet) that adds automatic collecting containers. This feature isn't complete yet and there are still bugs with it. But it is useable if people want to try it. just add a AutoCollectSciencecontainer to a part to use it.

v.03:
Stopped containers from transferring science to themselves

v.02:
Moved 1.25m and 2.5m containers from Utility to Science
List science as it is transferred
Added a probe with Science Container built in
Better placement in the technology tree

v.01:  
Initial Release!

Github:

https://github.com/SirDargon/ScienceContainer

Download Current Version:

KSP 1.0.5

Science Containers v.08.3 (by DMagic)

Older Versions:

KSP .90

Science Containers v.08.2

KSP .90

Science Containers v.08.1

Science Containers v.08

KSP .25/.90:

Science Containers v.07.1

KSP .24.2:

Science Containers v.07.1

Science Containers v.06.3

Installation:

(Updating from older version)

Recover any vessels that are using any of these parts

Delete the SirDargon folder in GameData

Merge GameData from the download with GameData in your Kerbal Space Program Directory

Update any saved vessel in the VAB or SPH that used these parts

(New user)

Merge GameData from the download with GameData in your Kerbal Space Program Directory

License:

Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Edited by SirDargon
No more updates :(

I'm sorry, I guess I should have worded the post better... This will collect any data that is stored in other experiments and consolidates it into a single part, so that you don't have to EVA to transfer science from an experiment to the pod... After looking at Tarsier's HDD parts, it look like they do the exact same thing, expect mine doesn't have a size constraint...

perhaps you could put this functionality on a few of probe cores? to be an "A.S.R.P. (Automated Science Recovery Probe)" i would love to be able to make a small return probe that can dock on a station/ship collect the data then return to Kerbin like a drop pod. love the idea!

perhaps you could put this functionality on a few of probe cores? to be an "A.S.R.P. (Automated Science Recovery Probe)" i would love to be able to make a small return probe that can dock on a station/ship collect the data then return to Kerbin like a drop pod. love the idea!

That was originally what I was going to do with this, but put it on all command modules, but thought it would work better as a separate part because I didn't want people confusing which of the data buttons on crew capsules were stock and which were for my mod. I do plan on having smaller containers (0.625 m) that would better fit on probs, but once again, I'm not a modeler, and have no idea how to make a nice model for it, or even for what I currently have. If you want to add the functionality to a part, get ModuleManager, and just use:

[SIZE=2]@PART[partname]{[/SIZE]

[INDENT][SIZE=2]MODULE{[/SIZE][/INDENT]

[INDENT=2][SIZE=2]name = ScienceContainer
[/SIZE][/INDENT]

[INDENT][SIZE=2] }
[/SIZE][/INDENT]

[SIZE=2] }[/SIZE]

and put it in a .cfg file in your GameData folder.

Edited by SirDargon

Does this collect data from everywhere or just science equipment?

It will collect the data from any part of the ship that has science data in it. So, it'll pull it out of the crew capsule as well as experiments. And, it should work with all mod experiments too.

Already done: [Plugin] Probe Science config files

would that allow me to collect the data in one place like the plugin in this thread? or does simply allow for probes to use science experiments but would still require collection if not transmitted?

Last time I used Probe Science, it allowed your probe to do science (like Crew Reports iirc) but last i knew, you still had to manually transfer everything.

Well you beat me to it! I was wanting a standalone Science Containment Device since I already have CactEye and didn't want another Telescope from Tarsier Space Technology. However would it be possible to create a GitHub repository so the community would be able to help you out much easier? I wouldn't mind helping you out since I am a programmer however I am unable to do modeling and art unfortunately. However I do have some suggestions! (Mostly from what I wanted from such a part)

• Memory Capacity - Each item has a limits in Mits on storage capabilities depending on the size of the parts, however as you progress through the Tech Tree you unlock smaller and smaller storage devices thus increasing the capacity of the parts.
  • Corruption - Due to stresses of being launch who knows how fast and the temperatures these devices are subjected to along with whatever forces it might effect the capabilities and lower the science rate of anything stored, however as Capacity gets better throughout progression in the Tech Tree they also get more rugged and better so the Corruption goes down.
  • Compression - Hey we want to store even more stuff on these things, however the downside of Compressing this Scientific Data is that it would corrupt the data even more.
  • Data Transfer Rates - Just like transmitting data takes a while there should be a limit on how quickly these things can move data around, of course getting faster as technology improves.
  • Electric Usage - Kerbals have the worst luck of building things, but these things need power constantly to keep the data usable. Once the power runs out who knows what will happen to that precious science!
  • More Parts w/ Different Sizes! - Pretty clear but not everything uses those size parts, but if you could make a part that uses Universal Storage's wedges that would be awesome.

Well you beat me to it! I was wanting a standalone Science Containment Device since I already have CactEye and didn't want another Telescope from Tarsier Space Technology. However would it be possible to create a GitHub repository so the community would be able to help you out much easier? I wouldn't mind helping you out since I am a programmer however I am unable to do modeling and art unfortunately. However I do have some suggestions! (Mostly from what I wanted from such a part)

• Memory Capacity - Each item has a limits in Mits on storage capabilities depending on the size of the parts, however as you progress through the Tech Tree you unlock smaller and smaller storage devices thus increasing the capacity of the parts.
  • Corruption - Due to stresses of being launch who knows how fast and the temperatures these devices are subjected to along with whatever forces it might effect the capabilities and lower the science rate of anything stored, however as Capacity gets better throughout progression in the Tech Tree they also get more rugged and better so the Corruption goes down.
  • Compression - Hey we want to store even more stuff on these things, however the downside of Compressing this Scientific Data is that it would corrupt the data even more.
  • Data Transfer Rates - Just like transmitting data takes a while there should be a limit on how quickly these things can move data around, of course getting faster as technology improves.
  • Electric Usage - Kerbals have the worst luck of building things, but these things need power constantly to keep the data usable. Once the power runs out who knows what will happen to that precious science!
  • More Parts w/ Different Sizes! - Pretty clear but not everything uses those size parts, but if you could make a part that uses Universal Storage's wedges that would be awesome.

Thank you for your response and let me comment on your suggestions!

• Memory Capacity and Corruption: To be honest, these are the main reasons why I didn't abandon this and use Tarsier's HDD after erbmur pointed me to it. My crew capsule doesn't have a limit on how much I can hold, so I didn't really want there to be a limit on my parts as well. Same with corruption.
  • Compression: Basically falls under the same category as capacity and corruption. It limits things that I currently don't want limited.
  • Data Transfer Rates: This was something I had thought of and would like to implement if there is enough want for it!
  • Electric Usage: This was something I was thinking of requiring as well, but felt if I wasn't really needed as there are electrical storage devices that don't required electricity to keep the data intact. But once again, if there is enough want for it.
  • More Parts: Of course! These first 2 versions were released to see if there was an interest in a mod with parts like these, without the bloat of other parts that didn't pertain to them. A US Science Container was indeed a part I was thinking of, but currently I'm waiting for the TAC US parts before I download it and throw it in my highly modded game.

As for a github, I haven't thrown it up yet because 1) this was a quick throw together I did last night and 2) I didn't know if there would be a lot of interest in this, it was originally just going to be for personal use. If this gets enough interest, I will indeed put this up on github.

Edited by SirDargon

Thank you for your response and let me comment on your suggestions!

• Memory Capacity and Corruption: To be honest, these are the main reasons why I didn't abandon this and use Tarsier's HDD after erbmur pointed me to it. My crew capsule doesn't have a limit on how much I can hold, so I didn't really want there to be a limit on my parts as well. Same with corruption.
  • Compression: Basically falls under the same category as capacity and corruption. It limits things that I currently don't want limited.
  • Data Transfer Rates: This was something I had thought of and would like to implement if there is enough want for it!
  • Electric Usage: This was something I was thinking of requiring as well, but felt if I wasn't really needed as there are electrical storage devices that don't required electricity to keep the data intact. But once again, if there is enough want for it.
  • More Parts: Of course! These first 2 versions were released to see if there was an interest in a mod with parts like these, without the bloat of other parts that didn't pertain to them. A US Science Container was indeed a part I was thinking of, but currently I'm waiting for the TAC US parts before I download it and throw it in my highly modded game.

As for a github, I haven't thrown it up yet because 1) this was a quick throw together I did last night and 2) I didn't know if there would be a lot of interest i this, it was originally just going to be for personal use. If this gets enough interest, I will indeed put this up on github.

I could understand your reasoning seeing as how the capsule has unlimited storage, however in my personal opinion there should a be a limit on said storage since it seems unreasonable to be able to store an infinite amount of Scientific Data. However even if you wanted something that was almost exactly the same as Tarsier's HDD I would still find it useful to have a standalone part instead of loading a mod with extra things I won't use. However it is your Add-on and you are free to do whatever you want with it, if you don't plan on using such things I might decide to continue working on my own.

I personally want this to replace the "get out and collect the science from 10 experiments... And don't forget any!" phase of each mission.

In fact I don't ever expect I'll use the parts but will instead use a Modman config to put this on my command pods. So putting limits on things would ruin that plan.

Removing drudgery should not come with a drudgery penalty.

Speaking of command pods, they should already have some sort of list to hold science data in, so I'm thinking I might make a specific module for them so that it's not being redundent. I might also look into making things like capacity and electricity usage as optional "features" (if you want to call them that)...

I don't know if this is included but can you make it so when you collect science it doesn't override but instead sends it to the part?

Anyways the mod looks great, installing.

Do you mean like it won't override data with the same name (like crew reports and EVA data do)? If so, this mod doesn't override them already. If you mean send it to the part right when you do an experiment or a report, I don't know if that is possible, but definitely something to look into!

Great idea! A few suggestions, though:

1. why don't you use another probe core (like OKTO, OKTO2, HECS or QBE) as a model to your "probe container"? Let me explain: aside from automatic collecting science from multiple experiments, I think it is intended to be used as detachable probe to send science home at certain (dangerous?) points of the mission. To better accomplish this, I think the probe should be as small as possible and a round probe core makes it a little harder to do (e.g. it doesn't allow to attach a parachute)...

2. I think that some nodes are more suited to your parts... For example: I think the Science Tech node would be better suited to the Science Container Probe. The same can be said about General Construction and 2.5m Science Container.

Good news! I have an made a module that will collect all the science on a vessel automatically, without the need of manually clicking a button (as in, every time a new experiment is done, it's collected)! It's not yet in any of the downloads because I want to work some things out first with them, but I should have my 1st version of them out tomorrow! Please check the main post (in a little bit) to see what all I need to work out before a release this new module.

Hmm. Is science supposed to be locked into the part once it gets hoovered up from experiments? Like others I snagged this since I figured it'd make doing science sweeps much easier - but after doing so, I found out I couldn't retrieve it from the part via right-click, and my research vehicle is a separate one from my return vehicle.

EDIT: OK, after whipping up a ModuleManager config to insert the collection script into cockpits, it seems you can nab those on EVA even if not from the science parts themselves. Maybe a better way to go about this would be to just insert the manual collection script into cockpits and then only have new parts for automatic collection, which some folks might not even want?

Edited by SorensonPA

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.