Add "Airplane" to the vessel classifications

You know that little box that comes up when you rename your vessel, that allows you to choose a classification such as Ship, Lander, Station, Rover, etc.?

I think "Airplane" should be added to the list of options. It's a small change, but for some reason I get annoyed when my spaceplane gets classified as a ship and given the "capsule" icon. Does anyone agree?

I'd also love to have a distinction for manned versus unmanned stuff. For instance, the lander symbol looks like a manned one, and the rover symbol looks unmanned.

This. Also while we're at it, I would like to see a symbol for ships assembled in space that never land, as opposed to the capsule symbol for smaller ships.

Also, r0cketc0der, isn't the probe symbol pretty much a satellite?

'Satellite' implies that the vessel isn't going anywhere, whereas a 'probe' is probably traveling somewhere. I'd love to be able to clear out my orbital networks from the viewer when shipping off my Duna lander assembly, but can't at present, because they're both 'probes.'

Heck, keep the current categories as-is, but let us color code them. Same symbol, but tinted blue for, say, vessels that you aren't planning on moving, or green for ones you need to pay attention to. Then let us hide and show those categories just like we can symbols.

Heck, keep the current categories as-is, but let us color code them. Same symbol, but tinted blue for, say, vessels that you aren't planning on moving, or green for ones you need to pay attention to. Then let us hide and show those categories just like we can symbols.

That idea is genius, sir/madam!

That's a pretty good idea.

It has been suggested already and probably deserves getting suggested again. The question is, when to stop?

Out of creations I have seen and remember, things are:

- manned vs unmanned/automatic

- moving vs stationary

- with aerodynamic lift vs no lift

- in space, on ground, in water (under water?)

In general we might ask for an icon for each combination of these

manned moving no_lift space = ship

manned moving no_lift ground = rover

manned moving no_lift water = boat

manned moving lift space = spaceplane

manned moving lift ground(air)/water = airplane

manned stationary (any lift) space = station

manned stationary (any lift) ground = base

manned stationary (any lift) water = seabase

unmanned moving no_lift space = probe

unmanned moving no_lift ground = automated rover/rover probe

unmanned moving no_lift water = boat probe

etc, I'm lazy to go through them all, for some I'd probably even have problems picking a category name. And total it'd be a hell lot of icons.

Kasuha makes a good point, so maybe a tag system rather than distinct vehicle classifications would work. You could have a drone spaceplane with passenger capacity with tags like [probe] [plane] [spaceship] [manned]. If modable, mods like Hooligan Labs could add [airship] and [watercraft] with appropriate icons for each.

Here's the vessel clases I think there should be, and you should be able to change it in the VAB for each control part (So it changes properly at undock/decouple). Also, color coding?

Unmanned

Probe

Satellite

Rocket Stage

Robot Rover

Probe Lander

Probe

Debris

Drone (Unmanned airplane)

Manned

Capsule

Spaceship

Station

Base

Orbital Construction Ship

Lander

Buggy

Rover

Large Rover

Air

Flying Machine

Glider

Spaceplane

Airplane

Airship

VTOL

Rocket (These take priority until staged off. They can be tagged on a decoupler only, so when you stage the decoupler of the rocket and release the payload, the payload has the correct icon, but during ascent the rocket has the proper rocket icon)

Sounding Rocket

Light Lift Launch Vehicle

Medium Lift Launch Vehicle

Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle

Super-Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle

Misc

Gizmo

Contraption

Kerbal (only used on Kerbals)

Time Machine

Helicopter

Boat

Submarine

Missile

Automobile

Robot

I hate to plus one, but I'd like to see airplane/space-plane (plane would be fine) added as well.

Additionally having unmanned planes separate might be good as well.

I also like the idea of being able to mod vessel classifications.

• 5 months later...

It is not just a +1 for at least 3 more wehicle category should be helpful.

I do like the colorcoding (as an addition) as well.

But a little help of the possibility for the coders.

YOU ALREADY DID this with the 0.90.

Looking at the new part finder in the wab. You have a iconbase and a wonderful ability for us to make custom types (of windows)

So why not just implement it and apart from the few standard types presented right now allow us players todefine our custom ones?

Maybe as an upgrade you can make it better with the color coding too.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.