[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

Did you nerf the ducted fans? I was able to get into space with the assistance of SABRS last week and after the update I can't get past 6k. Oh and is the update suppose to be installing a second ORS dll file when I already have a separate folder installed? I know this was a problem with Karbonite.

I've fixed the intake on the inline ducted fan, so that should be in the next pre-release.

RCS on the radial ones works fine, its juts a whole lot weaker than it used to be - you can adjust the flight attitude with it, but not lift off.

Ducted fans have indeed been nerfed in top speed.

0.2.1 is up!

Download via the USI Catalog Page. All USI mods are updated at once, so for your convenience there is also an all-in-one pack on DropBox that includes all of the goodness in one package.

• Removed RCS reference from the inline fan, fixed intake issue
  • USI/ORSX/CRP refreshes
  • Added new radial outrigger - no more weird fuel issues. The dual outrigger is now considered legacy
  • DRE support
  • ATM support
  • Ducted fan tweaks - note that the radial fans changed position so this will affect ships in flight!
  • Hover mode and an attachment node for the radial ducted fans!
  • Added FireSpitter version file
  • Fixed transform location issue with ducted fan engines
  • Switched to latest CRP/ORSX
  • Latest USI DLLs

Absolutely love your work Rover, I check the forums daily mainly to look at your updates. I'm especially fond of your Command Pod designs, really looking forward to seeing the IVA for FTT! Many thanks for your contributions, they've greatly enhanced my KSP experience! :)

Absolutely love your work Rover, I check the forums daily mainly to look at your updates. I'm especially fond of your Command Pod designs, really looking forward to seeing the IVA for FTT! Many thanks for your contributions, they've greatly enhanced my KSP experience! :)

Sooo uhh... any chance you might now where the older versions of FTT hid their part folders?

I still have the double parts problem, but I got no idea where they are hiding and what version of FTT it might be... :/

FTT has always been under GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/FTT

Do a search for FTT_* as I name all of the configs with the mod as a prefix

Love the form factor on the Honey Badger. Wish you'd do a texture pack; the way you've got clear little markers to help line stuff up for radial attachment to the various components makes me wince when I have to try and slap boosters on a regular engine now and just eyeball it.

Only thing I would ask about is that while I get why the total thrust of the fans got toned down on the very large ones can you increase the altitude at which their power falls off? I'm loving the crap out of the small and medium ones for making roust-about transports for Kerbin and will do the same once I get tucked in on Duna, Eve and Laythe. For the Honey Badger though the fans and the generator are simply too heavy to balance out the low altitude and relatively slow speed of getting there they provide for the weight on an actual trans-SOI trip. If I want to send the Honey Badger to the moon I need to recover it and rebuild it for vertical launch. Even with 4 fans and 2 generators though it's too big with too much surface area to be stable at the low altitudes it can fly at anyway.

I totally get that it essentially provides near endless lift with the fans and 2 generators (years worth of fuel in them that can be replenished) and you don't want that to turn into something super-powered. However for those of us who use FAR it's hard to get anything close to the needed use out of them save for a few narrow jobs; if they could keep their same lifting power but take that up to more like 10k then the heavy tonnage pays for itself in getting you an altitude head start with an SSTO.

Which is, for me anyway, sorta the goal. I'd love a VTOL SSTO Honey Badger that can carry a payload to the Mun; even if it's got to stop on the Mun to grub up some Karbonite to turn into fuel for the return trip. Currently that's just not possible. Is that by design or because I use FAR? Either way, for the very largest fans being able to go up higher would both make the fans worth keeping on an SSTO design (thus making the Honey Badger something to keep around perpetually and refuel instead of a single-shot ship, recovered and rebuilt for every mission) as well as letting people with FAR take their big rigs up high enough that drag doesn't make them unmanageable to move around effectively.

Love the form factor on the Honey Badger. Wish you'd do a texture pack; the way you've got clear little markers to help line stuff up for radial attachment to the various components makes me wince when I have to try and slap boosters on a regular engine now and just eyeball it.

Only thing I would ask about is that while I get why the total thrust of the fans got toned down on the very large ones can you increase the altitude at which their power falls off? I'm loving the crap out of the small and medium ones for making roust-about transports for Kerbin and will do the same once I get tucked in on Duna, Eve and Laythe. For the Honey Badger though the fans and the generator are simply too heavy to balance out the low altitude and relatively slow speed of getting there they provide for the weight on an actual trans-SOI trip. If I want to send the Honey Badger to the moon I need to recover it and rebuild it for vertical launch. Even with 4 fans and 2 generators though it's too big with too much surface area to be stable at the low altitudes it can fly at anyway.

I totally get that it essentially provides near endless lift with the fans and 2 generators (years worth of fuel in them that can be replenished) and you don't want that to turn into something super-powered. However for those of us who use FAR it's hard to get anything close to the needed use out of them save for a few narrow jobs; if they could keep their same lifting power but take that up to more like 10k then the heavy tonnage pays for itself in getting you an altitude head start with an SSTO.

Which is, for me anyway, sorta the goal. I'd love a VTOL SSTO Honey Badger that can carry a payload to the Mun; even if it's got to stop on the Mun to grub up some Karbonite to turn into fuel for the return trip. Currently that's just not possible. Is that by design or because I use FAR? Either way, for the very largest fans being able to go up higher would both make the fans worth keeping on an SSTO design (thus making the Honey Badger something to keep around perpetually and refuel instead of a single-shot ship, recovered and rebuilt for every mission) as well as letting people with FAR take their big rigs up high enough that drag doesn't make them unmanageable to move around effectively.

Really outside of the scope of their intent. They are meant to be configured either as a surface-only or orbital craft. I recall that with FAR I could, if reasonable, get a pretty decent operating ceiling. Will test shortly and post the results RE max cruising altitude in a bit.

Really outside of the scope of their intent. They are meant to be configured either as a surface-only or orbital craft. I recall that with FAR I could, if reasonable, get a pretty decent operating ceiling. Will test shortly and post the results RE max cruising altitude in a bit.

What I'm running into in an inability to get a moderate sized payload to orbit via VTOL start, I've got to get anything reasonably big up via vertical standard launch. I'm willing to say the issue is likely more about my build than anything else; I've gone for something based on the one you've got on the front page video. It's just not got the UMPH for orbit. Trying to put together a Honey Badger that is functionally perpetual; it doesn't need 'recovered'. If I'm going to send a payload to the moon I build it, cart it out, put it in the Honey Badger, fuel that bad boy up and huck it at the moon.

All the other components work perfectly for that; the design and form factor is ideal. Just need to get the logistics of a VTOL SSTO that takes off and lands via VTOL. The fans are perfect for that; you get low enough and you've got a steady cushion of thrust.

I'll keep chewing on it.

Huh...

I just deleted the USI/FTT folder, checked KSP - no FTT parts

Then I reinstalled the FTT folder to the same place - 2 of every FTT part... I dont get it, would you mind if I upload pictures of my folders for you?

Or could you state what parts (folder names) should be in the "parts" folder (since I assume thats where it goes crazy)

Huh...

I just deleted the USI/FTT folder, checked KSP - no FTT parts

Then I reinstalled the FTT folder to the same place - 2 of every FTT part... I dont get it, would you mind if I upload pictures of my folders for you?

Or could you state what parts (folder names) should be in the "parts" folder (since I assume thats where it goes crazy)

You hid FTT somewhere else, so what happened is when you put the assets back, all of the parts lit up. Most common cause is nesting GameData.

Sooo I'm just trying to get my heavily modded KSP up to .25date

Well, seems one bugging part is the FTT/Honeybadger mod... at least when i tried clicking the command pod, it crashes...

weeeelll, it now crashes no matter what part I try to use... happened only after installing FTT, so I'll deinstall it and try again!

Edit without editing (forgot to send):

Yeah, it definitely is FTT parts that cause the error

Turns out, something in the MKS/OKS mod causes a similar error, only it crashes once fully loaded, not on selecting a part although that might be Memory Issues, forgot to grab a Texture Reducer

Edited by CrazyOdd

Sooo I'm just trying to get my heavily modded KSP up to .25date

Well, seems one bugging part is the FTT/Honeybadger mod... at least when i tried clicking the command pod, it crashes...

weeeelll, it now crashes no matter what part I try to use... happened only after installing FTT, so I'll deinstall it and try again!

Edit without editing (forgot to send):

Yeah, it definitely is FTT parts that cause the error

Turns out, something in the MKS/OKS mod causes a similar error, only it crashes once fully loaded, not on selecting a part although that might be Memory Issues, forgot to grab a Texture Reducer

Very likely memory pressure.

Side note for the thread... Phase II is coming.

EtuFvFR.png

Oh... those are 5m parts.

Bigger is better.

You know... you could totally make a massive station-ship with those.

I'm going to capture and empty a Class E, stack it with hab mods and station goodies and strap those bad boys onto it.

You gotta let me choke LiquidHydrogen out of asteroids with In fact if memory serves asteroids are a prime target for hydrogen (and helium) mining.

Catch a big rock, slam the Jaw on it, gorge on that sweet, sweet LH2, strap on GNRs (Giant Nuclear Rockets, because what could be more KSP than that?) and tour the solar system like a plague of locusts via Honey Badgers packing mining modules.

Serious RoverDude, you make glorious stuff that is pretty much a 'must have'. You keep having ideas and making stuff, we'll keep playing with it.

Looks nice, but I'm not a fan of the cockpit. It looks both not aerodynamic enough to be launched without a fairing, and too big to fit into one. A spherical, 5m one would perhaps be a good idea. Something resembling Discovery from 2001 Space Odyssey. Just remember those who like putting their ships together in orbit, launch-by-launch. :)

Looks nice, but I'm not a fan of the cockpit. It looks both not aerodynamic enough to be launched without a fairing, and too big to fit into one. A spherical, 5m one would perhaps be a good idea. Something resembling Discovery from 2001 Space Odyssey. Just remember those who like putting their ships together in orbit, launch-by-launch. :)

Considered that - I think someone already has one that you can swap out. I'll take an alternate pod into consideration once the first cut is done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.