[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

Spent all day playing with the new toys and trying things like a sort of scatter-shot deployment, etc. Finally actually came down to this:

i04WYEF.png

Use docking collars because a decoupler effectively shoots the thing at the ground hard enough to bust all the tires :P

As a deployment method though it's been rock solid. A little bit of work balancing the weight between the MKS modules (because some filthy sadist made many of them different weights :P) but I'm finding I can get a solid balance with KAS components in the base section.

Right now my problem is the tires; those are actually too fragile, I've had to go up to the TR-2Ls - which are too wide to fit there without hitting the module next to them.

Now though I'm just down to fine-tuning the module builds. My intent is to play out the Duna colony mission with no restarts so I'm wanting to get everything just perfect.

This whole release though is rock solid awesome. I've got a functional (if slow) single massive ship that can take 12 modules (or 10 modules plus logistics and storage) to Duna and deploy them in a tight cluster; I'll be able to break them off in series of 4. I've already started work on a 'recycle rover' that works with EPL that will go around to the lander frames and recycle them into components. All in a few ships with manageable part counts.

FTT and exploration plus MKS/OKS has really put the careful buildout and exploration back into KSP for me. Thank you, it's all much appreciated.

Well first of all "Thanks and wow!".

Now, i noticed something weird, that i dont know how you made it Rover.

If you attach a nuke under a tank, it just sais fuel deprived, and it doesnt produce thrust.

But if you put the 5 to 3.5 adapter between the tank and the nuke, then all go as normal. ?????:confused:????

On a side note, for those adventurus people out there, you might wanna take a look at Maximus from Absolution. i had crazy fun launching a few versions of Starlifter inside Maximus :cool:

Ok - now I know which cargo pods you are using - that helps :)

Can you log a github issue with those screenshots for me please (or maybe someone on the thread can)?

I will add the GitHub issue for Scorpians as we are currently playing the same game setups, sharing craft and comparing notes across continents via IRC.

I have a feeling the issue is however related to Firespitter and VAB/SPH symmetry as I have experienced the same problems with textures and tank setups not behaving as expected.

To get around it, I use editor extensions and vertical snap seperate non symmetry sides in place.

Edit - GitHub Issue:

HoneyBadger Textures and Cargo non persistant when using symmetry

Edited by Deadpan110
Added GitHub Issue link

Right now my problem is the tires; those are actually too fragile, I've had to go up to the TR-2Ls - which are too wide to fit there without hitting the module next to them.

Are you removing the wheels after positioning the modules? I'd really much prefer to do that but I don't have a handle on how. Are the girders KAS-detachable?

Spent all day playing with the new toys and trying things like a sort of scatter-shot deployment, etc. Finally actually came down to this:

This whole release though is rock solid awesome. I've got a functional (if slow) single massive ship that can take 12 modules (or 10 modules plus logistics and storage) to Duna and deploy them in a tight cluster; I'll be able to break them off in series of 4. I've already started work on a 'recycle rover' that works with EPL that will go around to the lander frames and recycle them into components. All in a few ships with manageable part counts.

FTT and exploration plus MKS/OKS has really put the careful buildout and exploration back into KSP for me. Thank you, it's all much appreciated.

That's awesome, and so glad you guys like this stuff! Best bit... is that FTT-II was groundwork for the next mod I am working on ;) I had to have this in place first.

Well first of all "Thanks and wow!".

Now, i noticed something weird, that i dont know how you made it Rover.

If you attach a nuke under a tank, it just sais fuel deprived, and it doesnt produce thrust.

But if you put the 5 to 3.5 adapter between the tank and the nuke, then all go as normal. ?????:confused:????

On a side note, for those adventurus people out there, you might wanna take a look at Maximus from Absolution. i had crazy fun launching a few versions of Starlifter inside Maximus :cool:

hmm... could not repro. Though I am getting used to having to buy a new launchpad every time I launch one of these ;)

I will add the GitHub issue for Scorpians as we are currently playing the same game setups, sharing craft and comparing notes across continents via IRC.

I have a feeling the issue is however related to Firespitter and VAB/SPH symmetry as I have experienced the same problems with textures and tank setups not behaving as expected.

To get around it, I use editor extensions and vertical snap seperate non symmetry sides in place.

Edit - GitHub Issue:

HoneyBadger Textures and Cargo non persistant when using symmetry

Thanks for that! For the thread in general (and zero to do with this request, but more of a general reminder), I don't ask for github issues to blow off your concerns or be snarky, but do so because I manage a lot of mods and want to make sure your requests don't get lost between the cracks.

Are you removing the wheels after positioning the modules? I'd really much prefer to do that but I don't have a handle on how. Are the girders KAS-detachable?

I usually use pylons or you can make girders KAS-compatible. If someone is nice enough to log in a github issue I'll see about making some wheels appropriate for an MKS base, probably something animated.

Having a slight problem here.

Some textures appear not to show up.

Would it be easier to also have the output log? Kinda looked for it, but couldn't find it. Where is it located? Seems like a good thing to know... :)

http://i.imgur.com/InVk2kk.jpg

This is a known problem with KSP at the moment and the cause is likely not FTT - I have found that I also get textureless models on occasion and seems to happen in the loading order stages. I have found that one mod can cause another mods textures to vanish - even adding another mod, you will see the textures for FTT come back but perhaps another mods textures fail.

Edit:

to recheck, remove your UmbraSpaceIndustries/FTT folder and reinstall, if the textures are still gone, then it is likely another mod earlier in the loading stages.

Edited by Deadpan110
Added a lil more

I usually use pylons or you can make girders KAS-compatible. If someone is nice enough to log in a github issue I'll see about making some wheels appropriate for an MKS base, probably something animated.

Issue logged!

Hello, I would like to adapt the USI HoneyBadger Cargo pods into things that can store LiquidHydrogen. How would I go about this?

Two ways. First, log a Github issue and I'll just add it ;) Or modify the config - it uses Firespitter's FSFuelswitch

Cost balance wise, I'd welcome a pull request :)

Tech tree wise, I put them in the same spot so they all unlock at once..

If I could figure out my github account.

I've created a MM patch to try playing around with the costs. So I'll try and send a pull your way.

Thanks for the update on approximate time we're getting, well, a new update :P

I've got scansats en route to Duna, they'll be there a month before my colony ships show up and I've about got the kinks worked out of those. Pioneer modules; they're terribly useful in and of themselves and when put in the racks it makes the docking port/module/pioneer module/landing base stack with tires they're close enough to the bottom that when I land the whole chunk and release them it doesn't blow out the tires.

It's a bit tall and so is tippy on those wheels but otherwise it's rock solid. In fact the ability to put KAS stuff in those base sections is letting me balance weight between module sections better.

More importantly... 60 days from a class E asteroid coming into Kerbin SOI! He's 28 million kilometers from Kerbin but with the new huge 5m ship parts I can get a 13k dv beast of a rock mover out there, hook up the Jaw and squeeze that huge rock/tiny moon into Kerbin orbit and make my dream asteroid base/pimp pad for touring the whole system! Now I know I've got a couple of weeks to get stuff lined up before the next load of goodies shows up and I can adjust my plans from there.

On a related note I've got EPL now and am having trouble getting recycling to work. It says that you normally need Kethane to get recycling to work; I've got the Karbonite patch for it instead, does that not work to convert stuff into metal/parts? It vapes stuff but I get no metal/scrap/rocket parts. Is that a EPL issue or is it tied to the Karbonite patch for it?

Thanks for the update on approximate time we're getting, well, a new update :P

I've got scansats en route to Duna, they'll be there a month before my colony ships show up and I've about got the kinks worked out of those. Pioneer modules; they're terribly useful in and of themselves and when put in the racks it makes the docking port/module/pioneer module/landing base stack with tires they're close enough to the bottom that when I land the whole chunk and release them it doesn't blow out the tires.

It's a bit tall and so is tippy on those wheels but otherwise it's rock solid. In fact the ability to put KAS stuff in those base sections is letting me balance weight between module sections better.

More importantly... 60 days from a class E asteroid coming into Kerbin SOI! He's 28 million kilometers from Kerbin but with the new huge 5m ship parts I can get a 13k dv beast of a rock mover out there, hook up the Jaw and squeeze that huge rock/tiny moon into Kerbin orbit and make my dream asteroid base/pimp pad for touring the whole system! Now I know I've got a couple of weeks to get stuff lined up before the next load of goodies shows up and I can adjust my plans from there.

On a related note I've got EPL now and am having trouble getting recycling to work. It says that you normally need Kethane to get recycling to work; I've got the Karbonite patch for it instead, does that not work to convert stuff into metal/parts? It vapes stuff but I get no metal/scrap/rocket parts. Is that a EPL issue or is it tied to the Karbonite patch for it?

Do you have the patch I made for the Karbonite patch? :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yio49rq116fn25/EPL-Karbonite-Conversion.cfg?dl=0

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89774-24-2-%28V-16-7%29-ExtraPlanetary-Launchpads%28EPL%29-Karbonite-Adaptation-%289-10-14%29?p=1479785&viewfull=1#post1479785

I did the patch but not the patch patch!You are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you.

Yeah I know it is confusing. I have thought about just making a new thread and doing some simple maintaining of the Karbonite patch, but I've heard RoverDude is adding EPL support (in some form) so I didn't really want to spend anymore time on it than I have.

Yeah I know it is confusing. I have thought about just making a new thread and doing some simple maintaining of the Karbonite patch, but I've heard RoverDude is adding EPL support (in some form) so I didn't really want to spend anymore time on it than I have.

Yeah that's coming soon, I just need to work out with Taniwha precisely how to work it where I cause him zero support issues.

Also, waiting on his next release that updates recyclers to not have the Kethane dependency

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.