[Release][V3.2][KSP 1.2] Interstellar Flight Inc. - Kerbal Life Support Mod

Stavell

With the current battle between Modders and some users about x64 version and the fact that Modders can lock their work from running on x64 (which is their right). But being at the mercy of another author if the get upset and pull the plug on a dependant module. Makes me want to code all my cfg changes into my DLL for base support of stock items and drop module-manager as required and leave it to the user to decide what they want to add and use.

Still just a thought....

Found a error in the Status check code that causes the Status to flip from WARNING back to CAUTION. fixed on Git and will be in next update.

I ran out on a free return orbit to the Mun, I ran out just before getting to Kerbin. I then accelerated time and I think I ran out before I got to the Mun again.

Download link has been updated to VERSION 1.12 release.

10-15-2014 : Release VER 1.12 - IFILifesupportPlugin112.zip

or

GitHub IFI Life Support Releases

or

Project Page on curse

Changes:

Fixed bug with Warning Status changing back to Caution at 0 LS Remaining.
Added Base IVA for Inline Tank.
Added Debug Tracking to see how the new crew transfer mechanic effects the LS plugin.
Thanks to therealcrow999 added flag and Logo to the system.

Up-coming:

Cfg file for consumption rates.
internal view props and re texture.

tankiva.jpg

Edited by Stavell

Stavell,

Any more thoughts on LS generation? I'm hesitant to use the makeshift greenhouse part others have mentioned if you're going to come up with your own solution anytime soon. :)

Actually I have given it some thought - I was actually thinking about having Green house the size of a 2.5 rockomax grey tank(the one that holds 1440 fuel). Reduce LS consumption instead of generate it (Less overhead and less tracking) - LIFE SUPPORT RATE WITH ACTIVE GREENHOUSE = LS RATE PER KERBAL * ( (100 - (60 / NUMBER OF KERBALS ON VESSEL)) / 100)

so with a 2 man crew 4 greenhouses would be self sufficient but would require More EC or the Sun to stay active.

Opinions?

As for time-frame. I want to get the solar panel code tweaked and throughly tested before I add more new code to the DLL.

Edited by Stavell

Actually I have given it some thought - I was actually thinking about having Green house the size of a 2.5 rockomax grey tank(the one that holds 1440 fuel). Reduce LS consumption instead of generate it (Less overhead and less tracking) - LIFE SUPPORT RATE WITH ACTIVE GREENHOUSE = LS RATE PER KERBAL * ( (100 - (60 / NUMBER OF KERBALS ON VESSEL)) / 100)

so with a 2 man crew 4 greenhouses would be self sufficient but would require More EC or the Sun to stay active.

Opinions?

I like the principle but if we want to make a command station with RemoteTech we will need 12 greenhouses ... that will be a really huge base ;)

I don't know if that's realistic but, is-it possible that the greenhouses can be more powerful:

- if we are on a planet which has an atmosphere,

- or if the greenhouses have a good orientation with the sun and isn't on the night,

- or if the planet is really hot.

or something like this ...

Gravity might be a way to factor efficiency.

Here are some examples of results with my initial concept: and formula

5 Man crew 4 Greenhouse mods - 300 days of life support per man - w/ green houses running LS would last 576 days

4 Man crew 4 Greenhouse mods - 300 days of life support per man - w/ green houses running LS would last 750 days

3 Man crew 4 Greenhouse mods - 300 days of life support per man - w/ green houses running LS would last 1500 days

2 Man crew 4 Greenhouse mods - 300 days of life support per man - w/ green houses running LS would last indefinite.

After running the numbers I think tweaking them for Sun exposure or gravity might just put it in the sweet spot for base construction.

Hey Stavell,

I think you are on the right track, while I have often stated my preference toward the simplicity of the LS mechanics, I wouldn't want it to make the concept of LS and LS planning basically pointless by having one 2.5m greenhouse be able to generate LS for 4 Kerbals indefinately...

If you look at my greenhouse part.cfg on page 4 of this thread, it is generating 2 LS / day under perfect conditions - which requires the UV light to be on and therefore uses significant EC - and that sometimes feels over-powered. I often turn UV off because then it relys on sun exposure variables and day/night cycles which dramatcially reduces LS generation.

Hey Stavell,

I think you are on the right track, while I have often stated my preference toward the simplicity of the LS mechanics, I wouldn't want it to make the concept of LS and LS planning basically pointless by having one 2.5m greenhouse be able to generate LS for 4 Kerbals indefinately...

That is my thought too - balance it so mission still need planning - if this LS mod is capable of creating completely self sustaining Vessel (Then why track LS at all it becomes a plugin that drains cpu for no playablity gain.).

More IVA editing.

ivatest2.jpg

ivatest3.jpg

Great mod, Stavell, thanks!

I have question, though: does it integrate with Alarm clock or have any kind of window with all current flights life support status?

At this time no. I just added notifications when the system kills a kerbal. (will be in next release).

I'm messing around with LS Warning notifications for in flight vessels - issue I'm working on is how to have all the information from every inflight vessel when loading a save game.

Good news! You will code some kind of hook KAC will use to generate an alarm (or the other way around, it doesn't matter)?

Figure I'll have a Vessel check for a alarm on activate and delete it if there - then on inactivate I'll have the vessel create a alarm for the time in which a Vessel LS status goes to caution.

TriggerAU made a nice API for plugins to interact with the Kerbal Alarm Clock plugin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.