[Release][V3.2][KSP 1.2] Interstellar Flight Inc. - Kerbal Life Support Mod

Stavell

Great mod, I'm going to be checking it out soon.

Is there a hibernation module for it? So that, on that 2 year voyage, the kerbals can sleep most of the way, using a lot less resources?

There is a cryogenic mod in the works

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92806-WIP-25-PaladinLabs-Dev-Thread-DeepFreeze-cryonic-crew-storage-v-14

keep your eyes peeled :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Stavell, take it easy with that ticker of yours, we need support for this mod over the long haul ;)

Great mod. I'm really enjoying using this over other life support mods.

A couple of annoyances though:

1) The mod seems to divide and take an equal amount of life support from every container that has the life support resource, which is fine but for one scenario: the command pods generally have less life support and run out first, so when ditching the rest of my space craft before re-entry, I'll end up having 0 life support and have my Kerbals die during re-entry. I know I can always just transfer in remaining life support from a container before staging for re-entry, but it gets annoying having to do this every time and is easy to forget to do so. Is there any way for the mod to deplete the life support storage containers (including the one from Universal Storage) first before depleting the command pods?

2) I prefer to use real 24-hour time in-game, but the mod treats the warnings and time warp cancellations as if the game was using 6-hour Kerbin time. For example, the Mk1 Pod starts off with 3 units of life support, which equates to 18 hours or 0.75 real days; 0.75 days forces the toolbar icon to be red already and causes the time warp cancellation to be already in affect when I know I have plenty of life support remaining. This defeats the purpose of having the time warp setting for me since I have to disable it for every manned space craft I launch without additional life support containers in order to use time warp.

Edited by sjohnson0684

Im having an issue where the Low resources time warp kicks in, consumes the life support (normal behaviour) but then causes the physics engine to recalculate the trajectory of the rocket heading to the Mun slowly dropping its Ap.

Once i disabled the alarm, it still consumed resources as needed but didn't cause any issues with the Rocket Trajectory

1) The mod seems to divide and take an equal amount of life support from every container that has the life support resource, which is fine but for one scenario: the command pods generally have less life support and run out first, so when ditching the rest of my space craft before re-entry, I'll end up having 0 life support and have my Kerbals die during re-entry. I know I can always just transfer in remaining life support from a container before staging for re-entry, but it gets annoying having to do this every time and is easy to forget to do so. Is there any way for the mod to deplete the life support storage containers (including the one from Universal Storage) first before depleting the command pods?

2) I prefer to use real 24-hour time in-game, but the mod treats the warnings and time warp cancellations as if the game was using 6-hour Kerbin time. For example, the Mk1 Pod starts off with 3 units of life support, which equates to 18 hours or 0.75 real days; 0.75 days forces the toolbar icon to be red already and causes the time warp cancellation to be already in affect when I know I have plenty of life support remaining. This defeats the purpose of having the time warp setting for me since I have to disable it for every manned space craft I launch without additional life support containers in order to use time warp.

1. I working on that. My workaround for me is to disable feed on pod that way I just have to enable it on reentry ( I've had my share of forgeting the LS in pod is 0.0

2. I will fix that hadn't played with 24 hour time in awhile so hadn't noticed.

- - - Updated - - -

Im having an issue where the Low resources time warp kicks in, consumes the life support (normal behaviour) but then causes the physics engine to recalculate the trajectory of the rocket heading to the Mun slowly dropping its Ap.

Once i disabled the alarm, it still consumed resources as needed but didn't cause any issues with the Rocket Trajectory

I will look into this. not sure why it does that cause all I'm doing is setting time warp to 0.

1. I working on that. My workaround for me is to disable feed on pod that way I just have to enable it on reentry ( I've had my share of forgeting the LS in pod is 0.0

2. I will fix that hadn't played with 24 hour time in awhile so hadn't noticed.

- - - Updated - - -

I will look into this. not sure why it does that cause all I'm doing is setting time warp to 0.

I removed a few Mods i was suspicious about, but I'm stilling getting the Error in Trajectory.

I am running a large Number of mods, so i will try a fresh install and work my way up to see if something else is to blame (The Mod list is a bit long to Write here).

Edit:I just tried a fresh install with JUST the Life support Mod, and got the same issue. Launch to the Mun wth only the Mk1 Life Support pre installed, time warp, and the halt affects the craft trajectory

Edited by Philthy_Phill
Additonal Info

Hey Stavell, sorry I can't package this up properly for you but I don't know how to do 3-D modelling...

I'm currently using a "lunchbox" part to add another days worth of life support to my rovers. I found using command seat rovers I was very restricted to staying close to my main lander due to the limited EVA LS and the fact that all the current LS parts were too big for my small one-Kerbal rovers. Even the small container from Akinesis' add-on was a bit large for most of my rovers :(

So, using a 2/3 scale structural micronode as a placeholder model I decided to create a Kerbal lunchbox full of IFI LS. This can be used when building the rover in the VAB/SPH but I also made a ModuleManager config for KAS to make it storable in KAS containers and placeable in-flight.

I'm posting here in-case you (or anyone else) would find this useful - you just need a proper lunchbox model if you wanted to include in a future release :wink:

part.cfg:

PART
{
name = LifeSupportLunchbox
module = Part
author = maxrsp

mesh = lunchbox.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 0.66
node_attach = 0.0, -0.3, 0.0 , 0.0, 0.0, 1.0

TechRequired = basicRocketry
entryCost = 900
cost = 50
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = IFI Life Support Lunchbox
manufacturer = Interstellar Flight Inc.
description = This lunchbox contains enough food, water, and emergency air supply to support a Kerbal for 1 Kerbin day.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 0.02
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 6
maxTemp = 1800
breakingForce = 25
breakingTorque = 25

RESOURCE
{
name = LifeSupport
amount = 1
maxAmount = 1
}
}

MM_IFI_Lunchbox.cfg:

@PART[LifeSupportLunchbox]:HAS[!MODULE[KASModuleGrab]]:FOR[KAS]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
stateless = false
storedSize = 2
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
attachSendMsgOnly = False
}
}

Don't forget to add another part model into the same directory and call it "lunchbox.mu". Have fun! :)

Edited by maxrsp
correction

If you already use KAS, then the Universal storage mod has an extended EVA part that Kerbals wear as a backpack (or can be glued onto any surface) which also contains a single unit of lifesupport.

You should be able to use it independently of the rest of the US mod I should think.

*SNIP* Even the small container from Akinesis' add-on was a bit large for most of my rovers :( *SNIP*

I can quite easily update the mod to add some smaller containers if people would find this useful. Maybe a 0.625 tank and a micro container akin to US 1-day pack that can be fitted to rovers.

I can quite easily update the mod to add some smaller containers if people would find this useful. Maybe a 0.625 tank and a micro container akin to US 1-day pack that can be fitted to rovers.

I think this would be interesting and, if possible, one with something like 10 days for missions like Minmus flyby...

If you already use KAS, then the Universal storage mod has an extended EVA part that Kerbals wear as a backpack (or can be glued onto any surface) which also contains a single unit of lifesupport.

DOH! I totally forgot about the Universal Storage EVA-X :blush: Oh well, I still think a Superman lunchbox in KSP would be classic :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

I think this would be interesting and, if possible, one with something like 10 days for missions like Minmus flyby...

Both the Universal Storage wedge and Akinesis small container have about 20 days worth, you may want to look at those if you haven't already.

Both the Universal Storage wedge and Akinesis small container have about 20 days worth, you may want to look at those if you haven't already.

Oh yes, I did! But sometimes I need only a few extra days of life support, and US gives me at least four containers... I put some batteries on one to balance, but batteries are massless...

I have fixed the Timewarp cancel lowering AP bug, testing to make sure I didn't break something else.

also:

I'm gonna try different flow modes and see what happens. (problem I see is decouplers and docking port cross-feed could cause problems.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be great - I had interplanetary trips on my mind when making the containers, and completly forgot about short trips and eva :) until I started testing and playing

Hey Stavell, like you simplistic approach to lifesupport.

Been reading the thread a bit and had a thought about the mentioned commandpod running out of LF compared to the rest of the ship.

I'm no modder, but I started thinking about it and the Ship Menifest mod.

One other mod made me think it could be a solution, with KSM perhaps, to shared LF: Connected Living Space mod by Codepoet.

Like I said, I'm no modder and I don't know if the detection functionality of CLS mod combined with SM transfer features could make for an automation of LF transfer between modules which house kerbals.

This was just a quick brainstorm moment I had yesterday night :P

Hey I have been using IFLS as my lifesupport of choice for a while now, and Im getting on well with it.

I have one request though, is it possible to add a time factor to being out of life support? specifically electric charge? On more than one occasion I have managed to kill my entire crew by transmitting a science package, draining the battery and they immediately die :(

Running out of the lifesupport resource, sure instant death is acceptable, you have plenty of warning. Electricity though, unless you have some reactors and are just swimming in power generation it is very easy to drain the battery very fast. Even when you have solar panels in sunlight they cannot keep up with the drain from transmissions (or jamming the throttle down when using ions) all you would need is an hour (even 10 minutes would do), where you can have 0 electric and if its not corrected within that time then kill the crew.

Hey I have been using IFLS as my lifesupport of choice for a while now, and Im getting on well with it.

I have one request though, is it possible to add a time factor to being out of life support? specifically electric charge? On more than one occasion I have managed to kill my entire crew by transmitting a science package, draining the battery and they immediately die :(

Running out of the lifesupport resource, sure instant death is acceptable, you have plenty of warning. Electricity though, unless you have some reactors and are just swimming in power generation it is very easy to drain the battery very fast. Even when you have solar panels in sunlight they cannot keep up with the drain from transmissions (or jamming the throttle down when using ions) all you would need is an hour (even 10 minutes would do), where you can have 0 electric and if its not corrected within that time then kill the crew.

I'm working on the electric thing. still not the way I want it to feel. Till I get it sorted a Solar panel will save kerbals from electric death even with 0 electric charge.

- - - Updated - - -

Ver 2.40 has been released links updated in main post and files uploaded to Curse and Git.

Fixes:

Fixed Bug where AP would lower on timewarp cancel.

Ver 2.40 has been released links updated in main post and files uploaded to Curse and Git.

Thanks! I've just downloaded it. I'll try it right now.

But, first, I'd like to offer two MM patches I made to get some additional radial life support containers. I thought of short-term missions, (like deploying a satellite network on Mun or Minmus), so they only have 5 and 10 units (with simmetry I end up with 10 or 20 units, plus three from the command pod...).

Since I don't know how to make textures (and have some RAM issues), I used the radial monopropellant tank and the Universal Storage O2 radial container (BTW, what is it for?).

Small container (10 units - US O2 radial container)

+PART[US_Radial_Oxygen]:HAS[!MODULE[IFILifeSupport]]
{
@name = LSTankRadialSmall
@title = IFI Small Life Support Tank
@description = Scientists concluded heavy life support tanks are dangerous to short-term missions and created a smaller one.
@author = jlcarneiro
@category = Utility
@TechRequired = survivability
@entryCost = 350
@Cost = 100
!RESOURCE[Oxygen] {}
RESOURCE
{
name = LifeSupport
amount = 10
maxAmount = 10
}
}

Tiny container (5 units - monoprop radial tank)

+PART[radialRCSTank]:HAS[!MODULE[IFILifeSupport]]
{
@name = LSTankRadialTiny
@title = IFI Tiny Life Support Tank
@description = Scientists concluded heavy life support tanks are dangerous to short-term missions, so they created tiny tanks for VERY short-term missions.
@author = jlcarneiro
@category = Utility
@TechRequired = survivability
@entryCost = 400
@cost = 120
@mass = 0.015
@rescaleFactor = 0.5
!RESOURCE[MonoPropellant] {}
RESOURCE
{
name = LifeSupport
amount = 5
maxAmount = 5
}
}

Any suggestions or corrections (including balance)?

Edited by jlcarneiro

The US o2 container is for tac LS mod. I like the MM's.

I have a plan for a small stack can just keep forgetting to build it might be time to tackle that and add a small surface mount can for rovers and short duration missions

Not sure if this has been discussed before (did a thread search but I don't have a good history with those things), is there any chance of getting support for Blizzy's toolbar? I like having the option to disable buttons I.don't need and Blizzy's method of dealing with more buttons (display them in rows) is way better than stock's (annoying and slow buttons to scroll through them).

Not sure if this has been discussed before (did a thread search but I don't have a good history with those things), is there any chance of getting support for Blizzy's toolbar? I like having the option to disable buttons I.don't need and Blizzy's method of dealing with more buttons (display them in rows) is way better than stock's (annoying and slow buttons to scroll through them).

Added to engancement list on GitHub. I'll look at getting Blizzy toolbar support added

Hi,

My thoughts...the EVA pack could be used or stored to get the LS but I agree it should be used to 'refill' a LS system already on board the Kerbal when he is on EVA as with KAS they can only lug around one object.

I guess EVA's have a general time limit...funny I have done a crapload of missions in like 12 hours of KSP time (24 hour days); 6 hours of EVA time seems like an eternity but seems like a natural figure; NOT 20 days...

I also am liking small portable LS containers that can be moved and placed...I am looking into that today amongst other LS stuff live on stream ...if I ever get started !

I am worried about hard-coding though; agree with needing time to deal with ELEC-Chg decay rate on use of MODS; not just EVA but if a Kerbalnaut is on EVA and not being paid attention too, well...

I will probly just do the coding and use a small radial part for this until your mod gets tested out more; maybe I can transfer resources on Using KAS - I could try that today...Seems like using solar power tracking is a bit much...

Cmdr Zeta

Hi,

My thoughts...the EVA pack could be used or stored to get the LS but I agree it should be used to 'refill' a LS system already on board the Kerbal when he is on EVA as with KAS they can only lug around one object.

I also am liking small portable LS containers that can be moved and placed...I am looking into that today amongst other LS stuff live on stream ...if I ever get started !

Cmdr Zeta

This has beed tackled already in Akinesis thread http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107584-0-90-Parts-Interstellar-Flight-Inc-Life-Support-Parts-Expansion-v0-1-1-Updated-24th-Jan so you may want to check there as a starting point before building your own :)

EDIT: Actually.... now that I think about it I don't think the smallest contianer is placeable by default, I had to make my own MM config for that one originally

Edited by maxrsp

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.