[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

Part testing is used to provide valid data to be used in a simulation.  If you intentionally bug the simulations (random) you could just run multiple sims and average your results to validate the design.  Personally I use the sim mode to check for 'stupid' mistakes such as staging confusion and throttle settings,  A sim mode I could not trust, I would not use.  Enough can go wrong in the actual (no revert setting) launch to make a sim 100%. 

For those for it, making it an optional setting would be the best way to keep the mod universal in it's appeal.  I like KSP as a game more than a real life simulation.

41 minutes ago, Jovus said:

No, no, and a thousand times, no.

If I want a real run to have variability over a simulation, I'll install TestFlight (or any of another hundred possible failure mods).

Read the first word in that comment. "Suggestion".

I understand how you may not agree with a change like this, we all like different things. And this is why I think the best mods are customisable, to allow players to get wanted features of a mod without having unwanted features. I totally agree with the people saying this would work as an option.

I'm sorry if this is too obvious, but I'm new to this mod. When you're talking about a "basic release", wich features are considered "basic" in this mod? Oh, and thanks for all your work! 

37 minutes ago, Krux said:

I'm sorry if this is too obvious, but I'm new to this mod. When you're talking about a "basic release", wich features are considered "basic" in this mod? Oh, and thanks for all your work! 

The main things being removed are simulations (KRASH is the recommended mod to use for simulations, this change has been talked about for a while) and something called the "part inventory". Everything else should still be in there (build times, tech unlock times, KSC upgrade times, multiple KSC launchpads, recovering vessels to storage). The part inventory (and the associated part tracker) is a feature where recovered parts can be reused to reduce future build times. The inventory/tracker provides incentive to build reusable/recoverable vessels and to build different vessels that are based on the same parts. Basically, if all of your launchers/payloads shared a common set of parts you could build them faster than if you built a bunch of totally different things.

With the inventory/tracker missing it just means all builds of a particular design will take a set amount of time (instead of getting faster each time) and there's no incentive to share parts between designs. The mod still will work just fine, it just removes an important gameplay element. I'm working on a better design for the part inventory that won't require weird tricks to work with other mods (tweakscale and procedural parts were both sort of hacked into the previous system).

Also, good news: KCT builds and almost even works. Just tracking down some issues with launching vessels. I'll probably have more problems afterward though. One annoying issue I've found is that I can't override the launch button in the editor anymore, so I'll need to figure out a new way of doing that again.

E1: I think they reordered when Start() is called. I'm pretty sure it used to be before loading persistence, and now I think it's afterward. KCT depended on the previous ordering, so I think that is a source of several issues.

E2: HAHA! Recovering to storage causes a crash to desktop. That's great. Of all features it would be that one.

Edited by magico13

17 minutes ago, magico13 said:

One annoying issue I've found is that I can't override the launch button in the editor anymore, so I'll need to figure out a new way of doing that again.

Suggestion: Disable the button completely in the VAB/SPH and use the KSC Runway/Launchpad instead?

Or disable all stock launches method... There are options in the save file (persistent.sfs) that can be used to modify these various behaviors:

Spoiler

GAME
{
    [...]

PARAMETERS
    {
        [...]

EDITOR
        {
            CanSave = True
            CanLoad = True
            CanStartNew = True
            CanLaunch = True
            CanLeaveToSpaceCenter = True
            CanLeaveToMainMenu = False
            startUpMode = 0
            craftFileToLoad =
        }
        SPACECENTER
        {
            CanGoInVAB = True
            CanGoInSPH = True
            CanGoInTrackingStation = True
            CanLaunchAtPad = True
            CanLaunchAtRunway = True
            CanGoToAdmin = True
            CanGoToAstronautC = True
            CanGoToMissionControl = True
            CanGoToRnD = True
            CanSelectFlag = True
            CanLeaveToMainMenu = True
        }

[...]
    }

[...]
}

New comers to the MOD might find the mechanics of only using KCT interface for launches unintuitive though.

@magico13 Thanks so much for working on this mod - it really adds a lot to career gameplay.

As a rocket person (as opposed to being a spaceplane person) I'm certainly rooting for some form of the inventory system to be included at some point, even if it doesn't work with tweakscale or procedural parts - recovering some of the parts from a dropped stage is better than recovering none.

Thanks again for all your hard work and for such an awesome mod!

On 10/22/2016 at 0:44 PM, Galenmacil said:

Suggestion: Disable the button completely in the VAB/SPH and use the KSC Runway/Launchpad instead?

Or disable all stock launches method... There are options in the save file (persistent.sfs) that can be used to modify these various behaviors:

Reveal hidden contents

GAME
{
    [...]

PARAMETERS
    {
        [...]

EDITOR
        {
            CanSave = True
            CanLoad = True
            CanStartNew = True
            CanLaunch = True
            CanLeaveToSpaceCenter = True
            CanLeaveToMainMenu = False
            startUpMode = 0
            craftFileToLoad =
        }
        SPACECENTER
        {
            CanGoInVAB = True
            CanGoInSPH = True
            CanGoInTrackingStation = True
            CanLaunchAtPad = True
            CanLaunchAtRunway = True
            CanGoToAdmin = True
            CanGoToAstronautC = True
            CanGoToMissionControl = True
            CanGoToRnD = True
            CanSelectFlag = True
            CanLeaveToMainMenu = True
        }

[...]
    }

[...]
}

New comers to the MOD might find the mechanics of only using KCT interface for launches unintuitive though.

The issue in question is what tells KCT to start building the craft. Shifting this to the runway or launchpad would be a royal pain for users. They would have to build the craft, save it, exit the VAB/SPH, select the runway/launchpad, then select what to built, then exit the runway/launchpad. This also means every craft to be built must be saved.

The current method is a good stopgap measure until/unless finding how to override the launch button in the VAB/SPH can be found of having a build button on the KCT screen in the VAB/SPH below the listed build time. Keeps things all in one place, doesn't require saving every craft, and not a huge deviation from traditional method :)

3 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

The issue in question is what tells KCT to start building the craft. Shifting this to the runway or launchpad would be a royal pain for users. They would have to build the craft, save it, exit the VAB/SPH, select the runway/launchpad, then select what to built, then exit the runway/launchpad. This also means every craft to be built must be saved.

If i remember correctly, even with the VAB/SPH Launch button disabled, you can start building a design directly via the KCT window in the editor. No need to get back to the KSC for that. I played a lot of career with KCT having launches button disabled and it was not that complicated...

Edited by Galenmacil

1 hour ago, Galenmacil said:

If i remember correctly, even with the VAB/SPH Launch button disabled, you can start building a design directly via the KCT window in the editor. No need to get back to the KSC for that. I played a lot of career with KCT having launches button disabled and it was not that complicated...

You can now in the present dev build, which is exactly what I said the the opposite of your recommendation of having all builds via the launch pad and runway.

Would it be easier to implement just the part tracker and leave the inventory for later? IMHO, the former is more important than the latter. Both in KSP and in the real world, only a minority of rockets (and rocket parts) are actually reusable, so the difference should not be that big. But economy of scale does exist and if you keep producing similar parts over and over, you should learn to make it faster.

I guess you can also just disable tracking/inventory of procedural parts for now if they are hard to deal with. Again, most parts in all vessels (well, at least in my game) are ordinary and it's always the player's choice whether to use a mod like TweakScale or RealChutes. So you can significantly reduce the amount of work with just very slight (if noticeable) effect on gameplay.

As to the launch button, can you just disable it and instead have a big fat red BUILD button in KCT window? And just make sure that window is always displayed when editor is opened.

8 hours ago, garwel said:

As to the launch button, can you just disable it and instead have a big fat red BUILD button in KCT window? And just make sure that window is always displayed when editor is opened.

Where did you get the version you're testing? Build button in both workable builds the build button is neither big nor red. It is the same as opening the build list both below the time it would take to build.
[time]
Build
Show LIst

The Launch button is also disabled already. Since this is going on more, I strongly suggest those that have a concern or do wish to contribute to go to the Dev Thread and assist in testing. More eyes to help find bugs will help in getting a better final version and will remove speculation.

1 hour ago, JeffreyCor said:

Where did you get the version you're testing? Build button in both workable builds the build button is neither big nor red. It is the same as opening the build list both below the time it would take to build.

He wasn't testing, he was suggesting to have an easily noticeable button if the launch button can't be repurposed.

40 minutes ago, SuperXico said:

@magico13, any date for pre-release? Need any help?

Always! :) Hop on over the the Dev Thread and give the current build a shot. Basic functions are looking good form what I've seen but another set of eyes for anything strange going on is very welcome!

4 hours ago, magico13 said:

He wasn't testing, he was suggesting to have an easily noticeable button if the launch button can't be repurposed.

Actually misread the message and thought said instead OF having a big red button for Build. Hence asking where in the world he was seeing this big red button :P
Making but build button red, or green for go, so it stands sound does sound like a good idea should the stock launch button not be able to be re-tasked.

21 minutes ago, SuperXico said:

Can you redirect me to the Dev thread? This is my First time here

Certainly. The Dev Thread is at

If you have any trouble downloading or installing the test version just pop me a message over there and I'll be glad to assist :)

16 minutes ago, JeffreyCor said:

Certainly. The Dev Thread is at

If you have any trouble downloading or installing the test version just pop me a message over there and I'll be glad to assist :)

Cant really open the link. Ill be the most dedicated bug reporter if i manage to

19 minutes ago, SuperXico said:

Cant really open the link. Ill be the most dedicated bug reporter if i manage to

Those links were old/dead since they hadn't been updated for a while and the build server hasn't been fully rebuilt. I just updated it, so feel free to try again. You'll need to also grab the last (full) release from github to use as a base. Edit: Scratch that, I'll just drop it in that folder too E2: done!

Edited by magico13

33 minutes ago, magico13 said:

Those links were old/dead since they hadn't been updated for a while and the build server hasn't been fully rebuilt. I just updated it, so feel free to try again. You'll need to also grab the last (full) release from github to use as a base. Edit: Scratch that, I'll just drop it in that folder too E2: done!

<3 with much love