[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

Well rather than rant (yes this would be considered a rant, complaint without any useful information) why not give some specifics. What are the things you miss about the old KAS etc. Just maybe they might be things that Kospy would agree with and could be integrated into new versions.

Nono, you don't get it. They don't *want* the old KAS, they just miss it. Like I'd miss Daggerfall but wouldn't want to replace Witcher 3 with it. Nostalgia, ZZZ's models, and my not-at-all sarcastic will to believe in the inherent goodness of humanity.

Is there a reason that I am not aware of as to why I cannot place external command seats in containers? In addition to this, I can't even right click to drag the thing anymore, nor can I grab the seat on EVA when placed on the outside of my craft. If anyone has an answer for this, I would greatly appreciate their sharing it with me.

Is there a reason that I am not aware of as to why I cannot place external command seats in containers? In addition to this, I can't even right click to drag the thing anymore, nor can I grab the seat on EVA when placed on the outside of my craft. If anyone has an answer for this, I would greatly appreciate their sharing it with me.

you can. They will just be invisible. Details are in a github issue if you want to read why.

Is it possible to make the fuel lines much more fragile? Right now two space craft floating next to each other have a strong chance to develop extreme oscillations and fly apart. I'd much rather the fuel hoses would breakaway than the perpetual jiggle machine to eat my craft.

Oh, thank you!
Yup; I actually ran into this today. It works fine, but it's a bit challenging because your mouse cursor vanishes when you pick up the command seat, so you just need to guess at where you're dropping it :)

But it DOES work, and I was able to remove them from my containers and attach them to a rover.

Well rather than rant (yes this would be considered a rant, complaint without any useful information) why not give some specifics. What are the things you miss about the old KAS etc. Just maybe they might be things that Kospy would agree with and could be integrated into new versions.

Fair enough.

But when I wrote that is was what I was feeling. I had just ended yet another frustrating episode of attempting to do what I wanted to do with KAS as it exists now and failing and I was for lack of a better term, melancholy and depressed.

See, the biggest thing I used and loved KAS for was grab a part, stick it on a kerbals back, move it, and reattach it. This was, by a wide margin, far more valuable to me then hoses or winches - in fact I hardly used winches and never used hoses at all pre KIS.

Example: I built a lander with 2 containers on it.

LDtx6CA.png

At launch, those two KAS containers were on the bottom of the lander. I then EVA'd during Munar transition and relocated them to the sides. Once landed, their contents and the boxes themselves became a rover.

6xkLLiE.png

QBv3RnA.png

I present this as an example - my trouble last night were in orbit and I haven't tried to build yet on the Mun or Minmus, but I used to do a fair amount of assembly in orbit too - not any more.

It seems that the old way, where a part spawned on the kerbals back helped avoid a TON of collisions that cause utter havoc in orbit (explosions, instant acceleration, death). I can't stick a part on the kerbal and stabilize it, or move it - eva assembly requires much more tedious station keeping exercises at close proximity. Ship to ship to kerbal - god forbid it's heavier then one can handle and you need two kerbals close together with two ships, none of them moving too far apart long enough to grab, switch modes, attach.

The inventory system is fine - esp for smaller items - but I miss the old methods and mechanics.

Edited by tg626

Fair enough.

But when I wrote that is was what I was feeling. I had just ended yet another frustrating episode of attempting to do what I wanted to do with KAS as it exists now and failing and I was for lack of a better term, melancholy and depressed.

See, the biggest thing I used and loved KAS for was grab a part, stick it on a kerbals back, move it, and reattach it. This was, by a wide margin, far more valuable to me then hoses or winches - in fact I hardly used winches and never used hoses at all pre KIS.

Example: I built a lander with 2 containers on it.

http://i.imgur.com/LDtx6CA.png

At launch, those two KAS containers were on the bottom of the lander. I then EVA'd during Munar transition and relocated them to the sides. Once landed, their contents and the boxes themselves became a rover.

http://i.imgur.com/6xkLLiE.png

http://i.imgur.com/QBv3RnA.png

I present this as an example - my trouble last night were in orbit and I haven't tried to build yet on the Mun or Minmus, but I used to do a fair amount of assembly in orbit too - not any more.

It seems that the old way, where a part spawned on the kerbals back helped avoid a TON of collisions that cause utter havoc in orbit (explosions, instant acceleration, death). I can't stick a part on the kerbal and stabilize it, or move it - eva assembly requires much more tedious station keeping exercises at close proximity. Ship to ship to kerbal - god forbid it's heavier then one can handle and you need two kerbals close together with two ships, none of them moving too far apart long enough to grab, switch modes, attach.

The inventory system is fine - esp for smaller items - but I miss the old methods and mechanics.

Fair enough. I would counter however with several things.

First, with the exception of the KIS container shape difference, that rover is perfectly buildable with KIS.

The only parts that worked with KAS prior to KIS were items that were specifically designed to be KAS-able. Part of this made things stupidly OP in terms of their ability to be carried on a kerbal's back. With KIS, everything is able to be manipulated, with the caveat that it's size and mass are more realistic. That being said it is very easy to create a config file override. So if you wanted to override some parts to make them carriable on a kerbals back without collision issues or override the weight issue you can. It's a catch-22. With old KAS you had to explicitly define parts that could be manipulated via KAS. With KIS you have to explicitly make overrides for parts that you might want to.

In general I have found KIS to be far easier to work with. As an example I had a fuel tug that traveled between Minmus and LKO for refueling purposes. Stupidly I put solar panels that could not be retracted when aerobraking at kerbin. So I sent up some new panels to attach on EVA. With KIS I couldn't put the panels on the kerbals back. I was able to carry ALL FOUR in the kerbals inventory. This allowed me to replace all 4 panels in one trip rather than a lot more flying back and forth to grab each one individually.

To each his own. Once getting used to it I have found KIS to be acceptable.

Yup; I actually ran into this today. It works fine, but it's a bit challenging because your mouse cursor vanishes when you pick up the command seat, so you just need to guess at where you're dropping it :)

But it DOES work, and I was able to remove them from my containers and attach them to a rover.

Would you happen to known if there is a fix coming? If not, I suppose I'll have to deal with this issue. :(

Sigh, I told you exactly where you could go for the details. I was on my phone at the time so I will spoon feed you now

https://github.com/KospY/KIS/issues/41

I apologize if I've done something wrong, but I must confess that I've never actually used github for more than anything than downloading things before, and I am thus not familiar with the layout of everything. I was unable to find it under the issues tab, which as previously stated is due to my not being familiar with the site. Now, since you are clearly vastly superior to me, I must bow down in worship to you now, as you have provided me, a driveling little baby, with a great gift!

I apologize if I've done something wrong, but I must confess that I've never actually used github for more than anything than downloading things before, and I am thus not familiar with the layout of everything. I was unable to find it under the issues tab, which as previously stated is due to my not being familiar with the site. Now, since you are clearly vastly superior to me, I must bow down in worship to you now, as you have provided me, a driveling little baby, with a great gift!

As long as you are appreciative. :D

I just wanted to let you know that the bug with not being able to attach parts to both sides of the connector port has been fixed. Now I can get on with my plan of using an upside-down cargo bay for Pack Rat storage.

Would you happen to known if there is a fix coming? If not, I suppose I'll have to deal with this issue. :(
I haven't heard anything; and I always assume such things are "just deal with it" =) It's not that big a deal, as you CAN see the seat as you're placing it on a vessel. Just annoying to cram it into a container without even a mouse cursor.

I haven't heard anything; and I always assume such things are "just deal with it" =) It's not that big a deal, as you CAN see the seat as you're placing it on a vessel. Just annoying to cram it into a container without even a mouse cursor.

Actually, while I was fiddling around with it a VERY faint, grey box appears instead of the normal thumbnail. It's very hard to see, but is there, which is nice.

Hello! I am having some trouble attaching struts and fuel lines using the current build of KIS/KAS, is there a shortcut key to attach the second strut anchor or connect them? Thanks!

The stock struts and fuel lines can not be attached using KIS/KAS.

To use KAS struts or pipes (connector port), place an end point at each location you want to attach to, then, using an engineer, right click one end point and click link. Take your engineer to the other end point and do the same. If the line attached to your kerbal turns red, it means you have gone past the maximum distance or angle.

I'm on a pretty slow machine, so every ounce of fat I can cut is a big deal for me. I'd like to use KAS/KIS to reinforce some stations and interplanetary craft with struts, but that's it. I'm curious though, once I attach the struts and link 'em up, what am I safe to remove? I think I can delete the entire KIS folder, all KAS parts except the strut, and the sounds folder, but I figure I need to keep the textures and the KAS.dll - is that a safe assessment?