[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

OK, ... is going on with pipes?

If you attach a chain of them to ground pylons they have a bizarre tendency to spontaneously jump into the sky, ripping themselves apart or yanking the pylons up out of the ground.

It's REALLY >>EXPLETIVE<< ANNOYING!

Welcome to KSP physics.

Yeah, you know what that isn't?

Helpful.

Sure it is. What you are seeing is legendary KSP kraken. It is a common issue and more likely to occur the more things you have connected on a ground base. But it is a KSP problem not a KAS problem so there really is no fix, other than to quicksave before you focus on your ground base.

And i take it they aren't connected to anything yet?

If that is the case, you are severely unbalancing your craft, which is why it jumps like that. There isn't a fix it is the way physics works for ksp

Edited by ExplorerKlatt

Sure it is. What you are seeing is legendary KSP kraken. It is a common issue and more likely to occur the more things you have connected on a ground base. But it is a KSP problem not a KAS problem so there really is no fix, other than to quicksave before you focus on your ground base.

Yeah, you see, that conveyed information, your previous post did not.

And the last one could easily have been interpreted as condescending by someone who is about ready to throw the CPU through a wall.

Interestingly, reloading a quicksave after the thing rips itself to shreds seems to guarantee that it'll do it again immediately once the quicksave loads up. So pressing F5 before doing anything at the base seems like an unwise choice.

Yeah, you see, that conveyed information, your previous post did not.

And the last one could easily have been interpreted as condescending by someone who is about ready to throw the CPU through a wall.

Interestingly, reloading a quicksave after the thing rips itself to shreds seems to guarantee that it'll do it again immediately once the quicksave loads up. So pressing F5 before doing anything at the base seems like an unwise choice.

It is not a guarantee. But in the past I have had a Mun base bounce 100m into the air and land in an explosion. But it would not happen every time. So I would always make a save first just in case. The reload didn't always help on the first try.

The bottom line (if you watch closely) is that you can see the various parts 'settle' as physics kicks in when the scene loads. The wider area that your base is,the greater chance that this loading happens not perfect and something decides it is clipped into the ground. The only thing really is to keep things connected to a minimum and don't go any wider than possible. Pretty much unless required I connect pipes, transfer what I need and disconnect before I switch away to something else.

And i take it they aren't connected to anything yet?

If that is the case, you are severely unbalancing your craft, which is why it jumps like that. There isn't a fix it is the way physics works for ksp

Had been connected and disconnected from a lander previously.

If you mean the center of mass is far from the center of the craft, then that really isn't the case, I went way out of my way to get it at the exact center of the base.

The pipes and pylons add to the mass very slightly but probably not enough to change it meaningfully.

If you mean something else by "severely unbalancing", I have no idea what it is.

- - - Updated - - -

It is not a guarantee. But in the past I have had a Mun base bounce 100m into the air and land in an explosion. But it would not happen every time. So I would always make a save first just in case. The reload didn't always help on the first try.

The bottom line (if you watch closely) is that you can see the various parts 'settle' as physics kicks in when the scene loads. The wider area that your base is,the greater chance that this loading happens not perfect and something decides it is clipped into the ground. The only thing really is to keep things connected to a minimum and don't go any wider than possible. Pretty much unless required I connect pipes, transfer what I need and disconnect before I switch away to something else.

Alright, I see what you're saying, thanks for the advice.

Still got me angry enough to blow a gasket, but at least I understand what's happening and can mitigate the issue now.

Had been connected and disconnected from a lander previously.

If you mean the center of mass is far from the center of the craft, then that really isn't the case, I went way out of my way to get it at the exact center of the base.

The pipes and pylons add to the mass very slightly but probably not enough to change it meaningfully.

If you mean something else by "severely unbalancing", I have no idea what it is.

Connecting the ground pylon to the craft makes it all one craft. This moves the center of the craft without a corresponding movement of the mass, making one end heavier than the other

Hey! Great mod, I use it with KIS and I'm lovin' the heck out of it.

Seems like the telescoping piston has a few bugs, though? Either the center of the piston will extend downward into the part it's attached to, or it will extend upwards through the outer column. I've never once had it work correctly...or what I am assuming correctly would be for this part, anyways. Other than that, I haven't had a single problem with this amazing mod (when is Squad just gonna go ahead make it a core feature???)

Hey! Great mod, I use it with KIS and I'm lovin' the heck out of it.

Seems like the telescoping piston has a few bugs, though? Either the center of the piston will extend downward into the part it's attached to, or it will extend upwards through the outer column. I've never once had it work correctly...or what I am assuming correctly would be for this part, anyways. Other than that, I haven't had a single problem with this amazing mod (when is Squad just gonna go ahead make it a core feature???)

telescoping piston? Sounds like infernal robotics...

: hi anyone can help please i have just installed kis and kas only when i try to drop items into a container inventory nothing happens i basically cant add items to the containers ??

Not enough info to say for certain. Try reading the manual or watching a YouTube video on KIS.

: hi anyone can help please i have just installed kis and kas only when i try to drop items into a container inventory nothing happens i basically cant add items to the containers ??

First make sure the container's inventory is open.

If in the VAB/SPH, right click whatever part you are trying to add from the parts list and you'll see a little icon that you can drag into the container's inventory.

If you're trying to detach a part on EVA and add it to the container, hold G and left click + drag it into the container's inventory.

I'm not sure if I'm the only person with this problem- the winch ejection system really doesn't seem to have much /oomph/ to it.. Every time I turn around my harpoons launched at asteroids just bounce right off, presuming they don't go straight THROUGH it (which I presume is a collision issue not necessarily unique to KAS, I've had it be finicky about attaching Klaws too).

I hope it would not be overstepping my bounds to ask if the devs of this mod might consider some manner of dedicated launching part just for firing off our harpoons and magnets and grappling hooks.

I hope it would not be overstepping my bounds to ask if the devs of this mod might consider some manner of dedicated launching part just for firing off our harpoons and magnets and grappling hooks.

You don't need a dedicated part - I've built some silly fun ones with Separatrons and the like. One would have a range of 700 meters on Kerbin, if not for the cable.

I'm having a weird glitch where I can't attach a pipe connector to my ship built with EPL to fuel it up, when my Kerbal tries attaching the connector, it apparently fails as the silhouette goes red for a second, but then the connector appears as if I dropped it even though I didn't drop it. I can keep trying to attach the same connector and it'll keep duplicating itself. I can't grab these phantom connectors again and they appear to be connected to my Kerbal even though they aren't touching him, I can tell this because the connector was in front of him and as it fell to the floor, my Kerbal was tilted forwards slightly, like there's an invisible strut connecting them. If I spawn enough of these, they start glitching out and exploding.

If if you want a video of this in action, I can get one, this description is probably super confusing to read.