[1.1.2] Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.5.8

KospY

Agreed, when I used to build cargo aircraft, I put a winch at the front of the cargo bay, and strut points along the sides.

On a related note, the reason I stopped building cargo aircraft is that I can't secure payloads into the cargo bay in a useful manner, because KAS struts are far too weak to do the job they're intended to do.

If I need a strut in the first place (more than ~20t across a Sr. docking port), they act like Slinky springs.

What I'm trying to say is that the connections between KAS Strut endpoints are too weak by a factor of 10 or more.

I've edited the config of the struts on my install, but it would be nice to not have to edit parts if I want them to work the way they're supposed to work.

This whole "weak KAS struts" thing might be because I use KJR, it would be nice if KAS included a MM patch to increase the strength of its own connections when it detects KJR is installed if that is the case.

It's true that KAS struts are very weak. But don't forget that KAS also has a part with a very strong connection: the pipes. They are actually overly strong and are an amazing replacement for struts. Check them out.

There REALLY needs to be a way to be able to retract fully a winch that isn't pointing straight down without having to resort to other methods, because otherwise the only options are to:

A. Try to make the end move around so that it gets into position.

B. Use IR joints to move the winch around.

C. Have a kerbal remove whatever is attached, try to retract, if it still doesn't retract, remove and replace the winch :P

@Enceos: That leads me to believe that the strength of the pipes and the struts should be swapped.

Also there's people like me who will try to KAS struts and/or pipes to stop the wobble between a class-E asteroid and the gigantic tug it takes to move one without the TWR being 0.01 or something similarly silly and useless.

I can confirm that doesn't work at all, KJR or no.

@smjjames:

The winch could probably check if there's nothing attached to the end of the cable and allow it to fully retract if that's the case.

The problem becomes a lot more complex if it's trying to suddenly move more than just one part, however.

Unfortunately that only gets rid of the "if it still doesn't retract, remove and replace the winch" part.

At least removing the attached stuff is easy enough, assuming it's a "hook" type part (electromagnet, grapple, harpoon, etc.).

If the winch is high up, it should probably have the cable coming out of the bottom of it anyways, for exactly this reason.

@SciMan I think the strength should at least be matched, not swapped. From what I understood you have a problem rotating your asteroid and this all happens very slowly and wobbly. You gotta install the Persistent Rotation mod, with it just give your craft some momentum towards the vector/node you desire, disengage SAS and use timewarp until required rotation is acheved; then slow down timewarp, engage SAS and use timewarp to stop rotation this time. If you grabbed the true center of mass of the asteroid you won't have trouble burning your rockets in the right direction.

+ I don't believe pipe strutting didn't stop the wobble, just can't be. You can also use the tubes from USI MKS or Pathfinder mods, they're bigger and don't flex under stress.

Edited by Enceos

Okay, quick question. . .

I'm trying to construct a large Mk3 Aircraft that has an upside down cargo bay to deploy a rover from using the KAS winch. Everything fits (Barely) and I can lower the rover via winch fine, but when I retract winch to pick the rover back up, it always locks with the wheels pointing up and the whole rover clips through the plane sticking way out the top. HALP!! Am I doing something wrong??

Using the Vertical winch rather than the stack, also using Docking port jr's for the attachment/detachment. I'll try to get pictures up at some point to help

Anyone know of a conflict that would stop the "Eject" function from working? I'm running 64 bit so this cant be a complaint or bug report. I can launch a craft but as soon as I reload or bounce from space center then back to craft, the "Eject" function only drops, kinda like just releasing instead of any eject force. Thx if any one is aware. If not I do apologize for asking while using the 64 bit launcher.

I do wonder who you imagine can possibly be reading that on this forum and not know it already.

I wouldn't say it makes no sense. An object could easily be too heavy to move in a controlled fashion. If I can get it moving at a perceptible speed, it already would have too much momentum to stop it crunching disastrously into whatever it is approaching, or killing you if you become stuck between it and anything else. Worse yet would be objects with non-obvious mobile internal structure.

I still think it doesn't make real sense. You can't move a ton of fuel tank single-handedly when on orbit, but you can get out and push to maneuver your entire spacecraft using your jet pack. That doesn't really add up.

When on orbit, the only thing that matters is inertia. Even if a Kerbal tries to grab Minmus, it will give it a nudge, no matter how small. It just takes a loooooooong time to move heavy objects.

I posted this on github, but I'm guessing it will get more attention here- I'm getting duplicate KAS parts in my part list in the VAB/SPH and in the tech tree. Shown here: http://i.imgur.com/3bU2qyu.jpg This is the second clean install this has happened to me.

Picture of your gamedata folder please. This sort of thing is 99% of the time install related.

Like I made it clear several times, but thx for your lack of help and stating the obvious.

It needed to be stated because you didn't know it, or you wouldn't have produced a support request for Windows 64-bit. Reproduce on 32-bit and ask about that.

How do I attach something besides a grappler or whatever to a winch in the editor and not have it block the winch?

Edit: Managed to get it by changing the root part temporarily.

What I'm trying to do is this:

testity_screenshot_2015-10-18--15-21-20_zpswhfd8y5z.png

Edited by smjjames

Is this an appropriate place to query whether it'd be possible to make drills radially attachable and removable by engineers?

Some days, you just want to take a couple tools on the side of your lander in case things go horribly wrong. :D

Failing that, a radially-mounted massless (1.0 definition) toolbox which is big enough to carry a small handful of equipment (Drills, bombs, maybe a fuel tank or Noms backpack) might do the trick. It'd be adorable when the Kerbals carry them around, too. ;)

Yes, you can give equipment to crew slots; this is for having the right tools on hand if needed when your Kerbal would normally be carrying out other equipment, letting Kerbals 'share' equipment more easily, or letting an engineer that didn't normally carry tools be able to collect them from a supply probe. :)

I posted this on github, but I'm guessing it will get more attention here- I'm getting duplicate KAS parts in my part list in the VAB/SPH and in the tech tree. Shown here: http://i.imgur.com/3bU2qyu.jpg This is the second clean install this has happened to me.

Just had this problem myself.

I was using Linux, but both Linux and Windows use the same naming convention for a Hidden subfolder that doesn't normally show in the file manager. There's an option to show Hidden files, and it wouldn't surprise me if you had a hidden folder with a duplicate KAS.

".filename" will be hidden.

You may get such a subfolder if there is a glitch with the extraction process. The Linux behaviour suggests to me that a temporary hidden subfolder is created as working space for the extraction. I think Windows has a specific Temp folder.

ok so i fixed my install, i did this by only copying in the Gamedata portion of the mod(s) and not copying the entire download (like the pdf file of instructions and License)

But now I'm having trouble attaching struts in space.. I have an engineer, he has the wrench and the drill, and the special struts. I press H to switch to attach mode, but it wont let me connect to my vessel. here is a picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyk9ns9z0kit6zm/2015-09-11_00002.jpg?dl=0

WAIT i did it, just had to equip the drill :)

will excuse for troubling you I have the same bug with the missing files https://www.dropbox.com/s/eczm3lzpca...00002.jpg?dl=0. how did you eliminate?

Hi all.

I've not been able to find any reference to this, I'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature - I'm attempting to pick up a rover with a crane using the electromagnet. Before I attach the magnet the rover functions perfectly well. However after I've attached the magnet and then detached it again once, the rover has frozen, as if the magnet's fried the probe core, and I can no longer move in any direction Is this something that's included in the mod on purpose?

Edit: So, I was a massive idiot. It was just a case of me leaving the brake on. Face, meet palm.

Carry on.

Edited by xv323

A bit of a PSA here:

Be sure to keep the folders' original names: "KAS" and, in KIS's case, "KIS." The filepath appears to be hardcoded. If you rename it, it'll throw NRE's like crazy.

That's pretty much a standard for all KSP mods. Modders use folder names/paths for a reason and you should never muck around with them.

Did anyone encounter disconnecting connector ports from pylons? I get this ALL the time, I'm trying to setup a mining base on Mun, first I used rover-based modules and I thought that wheel suspension is causing ports to detach from pylon, but then I tried a few test modules with landing legs and it still happens. Someone suggested that I use Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, which didn't help at all.

Here's a picture:

http://imgur.com/pobRt50

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a little problem: I attached several I-Beams to my orbital station and then some Gigantor XL Solar Arrays on them but when I try to extend the panels, I get the error "Cannot deploy while stowed." Could this be ralted to KAS? The panels were brought up in an ILC-18k Container so maybe KSP thinks the panels are still inside? (or maybe I'm just balbbling nonsense, I don't know how mods or KSP work internally)

Thanks for any pointers.