[1.2.2] B9 Aerospace | Release 6.2.1 (Old Thread)

bac9

Yeah I tried that, instead of going crazy fast with the noise pointed forwards I went crazy fast with the nose pointed sideways XD never ever re-entered that badly before.

New version on it's way to land right now:

rY3bjFpl.png

A lot more controlled.

And yeah I've had to do some 3 or more point turns, or gently roll off the runway.

Edit:

Sie5PYql.png

Yeah a lot more gentle.

Here is the payload btw:

XkrvEQUl.png

Universal Storage hexcore fits inside the S2 cargo bays as if it was meant to go there

oOlsXnrl.png

XBDNVoAl.png

IR used to angle the payload out for attachment to station/tug by the plane, allows the plane to hand the cargo off without the need for a dedicated RCS tug or similar.

Cool part about this modular payload system is that I can recover the spent tank from my station in the plane and take it back down to be re-filled on the ground on the way back from bringing up a fresh set of supplies for the station.

I'll make a similar setup for HL sized bays later with 2.5m~ payloads, these are 1.875m.

Edited by K3|Chris

I'm some tech tree nodes away from the IR struts or the active struts, so I came up with a more manual solution:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Ladders into the cargo bay to reach the KAS struts on the payload and the cargo bay walls, Ludsey had to strut them up before takeoff, IR hinge angled up a bit to compensate for the "droop" gravity causes.

Had to close the cargo bay to let the Ludsey cross both directions.

This setup also lets me make a crane to re-stock the plane, turn the docking-port up to drop a payload onto it, turn hinge down and attach struts.

And man, would be so sweet if you could attach ladders to the inside of the cargo doors.

Full mission to my OKS station in LKO:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Showcasing my near 100% reusable approach, payload of consumables (food, water, oxygen) sent to my LKO station, KAS used to attach struts to the cargo bay, and then to the station, next time I send one of these tanks up I can return the empty one to kerbin to be re-filled.

Edited by K3|Chris

That's why I love stupid_chris and his RealChutes with drag chute. I'm too stupid to bring down a plane safely (with DR and aero failures) without soccer field chute for deorbit :(

Your drag chutes are supposed to keep planes that land at higher speeds from running off the other end of the runway (because wheel brakes have their limits), not bring you down to landing speeds, that's what air brakes are for. Drag chutes shouldn't deploy till

. Chutes also provide some stability on the runway, that assumes you landed straight in the first place. Edited by Alshain

Your drag chutes are supposed to keep planes that land at higher speeds from running off the other end of the runway (because wheel brakes have their limits), not bring you down to landing speeds, that's what air brakes are for. Drag chutes shouldn't deploy till
. Chutes also provide some stability on the runway, that assumes you landed straight in the first place.

If it works for him, why not let it be?

. Chutes also provide some stability on the runway, that assumes you landed straight in the first place.

Yeah, deploying parachutes on 30km 4km/s flyby already sounds.... kerbal :D But I know how much effort has to go into balancing out stuff (saw in K3|Chris' post in this case) and actually piloting it for safe, stable and cool reentry. I just slap chutes for whenever I have to slow down and hope for the best (kind of works) :)

Note to self: docking with docking ports on IR parts is considered cheating by the kraken and you get punished for it with near instant total disassembly of your craft, managed to save the crew, just, docking port started vibrating back and forth in a "here comes the kraken" way and I decided it was best to EVA both kerbals, seconds later the plane ripped apart and got flung from orbit into kerbin, parked the kerbals as close as I could with as little relative velocity as I could and send up a 3 man pod with parachute and heatshield with 2 empty seats to save em before they asphyxiated.

Luckily the station has no IR parts so it's fine and the plane was far enough away when it kaploded to not impact it.

Guess I can use the same design and detach the payload with the docking ports really close but not close enough to pull, or put some RCS thrusters and fuel on the payload along with a probe core etc, that feels a bit wasteful though.

Edited by K3|Chris

Since you already have KAS and IR, why not simply build a arm with the KAS grapple hook or Electromagnet on it for final docking??

Yeah I'll need to figure out the geometry, man I wish droboman parts still worked, so nice for arms, stock IR parts and the rework ones aren't as nice imo for arms.

okay so im on mac and im encountering a problem. i cant get past the loading screen. i tried deleting local data and re installing then dragging only the b9 files into it. i need help. or a more stable version. btw im on osx mountain lion. 4 gb 1600 MHz DDR3 memory, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 processor. PLZ HALP!!!!!

that helps nobody man, and regardless your system should be fine. From what you're describing you didn't even read the installation instructions. To install B9 aerospace on a mac first download B9 aerospace and extract the zip file. Oncee you've extracted the file open the new folder and look for a folder called "gamedata." open that folder and copy its contents into the gamedata folder of your ksp installation. That is all that is necessary. Loading should always take a very long time however, since it's compiling a very large number of high res of textures, just don't worry excessively much about that.

one more question, do you have any intention of introducing fatter winglets to use as end pieces on the medium thickness straight wing pieces? they're the right length but half the thickness they'd need to be to cover the orange.

edit: and also, what happened to the lift values in the VAB/SPH?

edit: and could you tie the cabin light switch into the same one that lights the exterior, please?

Edited by Nuclear Arbitor

one more question, do you have any intention of introducing fatter winglets to use as end pieces on the medium thickness straight wing pieces? they're the right length but half the thickness they'd need to be to cover the orange.

Yeah there is a bit of a gap in winglets that fit on the 2m and 1m square part's ends, 4m is covered though, I suggest getting pWings, has B9 style wings you can freely re-size, no need for multi-part wings unless you want them and you can adjust the thickness of the wings etc to fit the winglets.

and also, what happened to the lift values in the VAB/SPH?

I think that's a FAR feature you can turn on/off in it's settings.

and could you tie the cabin light switch into the same one that lights the exterior, please?

That's the plan, problem is that the code to toggle the external light needs the animation name, and each pod has it's own animation name, and they all share the same button inside, I'd either have to give each one a variant of the same button (a bit silly) or I'd have to re-name the animations for all the exterior emissives (a fair bit of work and might cause unity to get really wonky).

That's the plan, problem is that the code to toggle the external light needs the animation name, and each pod has it's own animation name, and they all share the same button inside, I'd either have to give each one a variant of the same button (a bit silly) or I'd have to re-name the animations for all the exterior emissives (a fair bit of work and might cause unity to get really wonky).

If the cabin lights (exterior) could be tied into the "lights" action group by default, much like the other light parts, then the switch could be made to specifically make use of a "activate" and "deactivate" action on the exterior light animation. I'd suggest using the "toggle" except that if the user turned it on manually it would screw things up... unless (this is a good one, thank the grey matter) the light animation also controlled the interior lights.

No clue how easy this would be to implement though. It really sounds like the "silly" approach might be the best solution.

I don't want to tie it to the lights action group, if you turn on the interior lights in the dark it's actually quite hard to see out the windows due to the subtle reflections becoming a lot more pronounced compared to the darkness outside, it's a realistic and atmospheric addition I like, in the dark you have 2 options, turn on the interior lights to see inside better or turn them off and rely on the backlit instruments and buttons to see what you're doing inside while no reflections on the windows and better night visions gives you better outside visibility, too bad KSP doesn't have HDR/dynamic exposure or similar to mimic night vision etc.

I want to give people the choice of having them separate, but yeah I'd like to tie em to the external emissive and the external emissive to the interior lights, I can do it it's just a lot of unity wrestling needed, I need a mini-vacation after that 5.0 release push and post release fixes.

Hi,

nice work with this package! I can finally start playing ksp again and make cool spaceplanes :)

I have one request though. I don't know if someone asked this before, but can you add an adapter part between HL and 3.5m parts? They have almost the same size but still dont fit very nicely without such. Also, there already are two adapters for HL<->2.5m.

In general, there can't be enough adapters ;) so, when you're at it, you might want to add mk2<->S2 and HL<->S2 and whatever you can think off :D

This would enhance the interoperability between the different hull part systems enormously!

Edited by Quabla

There is an adapter for HL to 3.75m.... There is a mk2 to 2.5m

I'm not so keen on adapters between the different fuselage systems, planes that mix fuselage parts like that just look weird, like ferrari front-end has been bolted to a ford transit rear end, it doesn't work.