KASA IXS Enterprise - Interstellar Capable Colony Ship!

SlimJim89

vr1Bfsz.jpg

Some stats:

Ship weight: 1300 tons, and this is without having the 480.000 Rocketparts(the 6 large KW fairings contain this) loaded. I expect the weight to climb to at east 1800 tons.

Ship D/V: 45.000.

Crew capacity: 102, and 20 for infinite TAC lifesupport.

Current ship TWR: 0.04, I can increase this to 0.10 at the expense of ISP. I expect base TWR to drop by 0.01 after Rocketparts are loaded.

The ship can refuel in orbit via Karbonite particle collectors, meaning it can skim gas giants like Jool or gassy planets like Eve for fuel.

The ship can build other vessels in orbit.

The ship has dockingports for 2 spaceplanes.

The ship has 2 dockingports for cargo & fuel.

The ship can reprocess nuclear waste.

The ship has enough supplies to create at least 2 fully equipped MKS colonies, before needing to resupply.

The ship can get resupplied from its colonies via the integrated logistics hub.

The ship can scan and map planets via SCANsat.

The ship can map ORSX resources(USI).

Finally, the ship handles very well due to adequate reaction wheels torque, and carefully placed RCS thrusters. Meaning it doesn't wobble at all during orientation, or during acceleration. The ship is very rigid and I'll make a video to prove so!(soonish)

It's truly a self-sufficient colony ship and you never need to return to Kerbin again :)

CRAFTFILE

Modlist!!

How to build and lift it to orbit on from Minmus! It's a few days old, then this save started to constantly crash on KSC load, so I made a new save and HyperEdited this to Kerbin SOI. Why? Cause I want to play and not rebuild my base, for the THIRD time :(

Vessel in orbit

Engines online

Crashing on Eve yields an interesting survival scenario, many parts where intact and the 5 survivors could utilize the intact EPL module to build a new rocket home :D

Closeup #1

Closeup #2

Closeup #3

Dark side of Kerbin #1

Dark side of Kerbin #2

Closeup #4

Distance-shot

Edit: A zip of the gamefolder was too big at this time, maybe I can get a torrent solution in the future, after ksp 0.25 is released. But here's the craftfile meanwhile and the modlist is found above.

craft dependencies:

KASA IXS

Near Future (go for all mods)

USI Kolonization

KW rocketry

Mechjeb

Rasterprop-monitor

Spherical/Torodial tank pack

KAS

Crossfeedenabler

TAC Lifesupport

TAC Fuel Balancer

Extraplanetary Launchpads

EPL>Karbonite adaption

Edited by SlimJim89

Nice nice, really impressive, it is a construction that every mega ship will have to be measured to.

How does your fps play with this beast? And what is the partcount of the ship, without the contained assembly parts in the storage fairrings.

Think every time you start KSP. You need to wait for 30mins?

Only 2.5-3minutes, The new module manager does a really good job in loading 1052 patches superfast! Only problem I get is crashes if I load my ship several times in one sitting :)

- - - Updated - - -

Any change for more screens? Not only entire ship, but separate modules?

I'll get onto that!

Nice nice, really impressive, it is a construction that every mega ship will have to be measured to.

How does your fps play with this beast? And what is the partcount of the ship, without the contained assembly parts in the storage fairrings.

Thanks!!

The partcount is currently only 518 parts :D the original design would've pushed it towards 1500+, which is unplayable until Unity updates their engine to multicore. I get 12-15 fps while playing this beast, so docking 50~ part spaceplanes, or docking supply ships, or building large stations from this ship, or Cargo pods for MKS bases, - one at a time - is totally doable and won't crash the gameplay!

And yeah I picked the least part-intensive option (building stuff solely through rocketparts) so I can avoid having 100+ parts in each cargotube (700-800 parts). So each tube now consists of 4 inflatable rocketpart storage containers which can hold 80.000 rocketparts, totalling 480.000 for the whole ship rocketpart cargo.

Unity 5! Bring me salvaaaatiooooon!!

Thanks!!

The partcount is currently only 518 parts :D the original design would've pushed it towards 1500+, which is unplayable until Unity updates their engine to multicore. I get 12-15 fps while playing this beast, so docking 50~ part spaceplanes, or docking supply ships, or building large stations from this ship, or Cargo pods for MKS bases, - one at a time - is totally doable and won't crash the gameplay!

And yeah I picked the least part-intensive option (building stuff solely through rocketparts) so I can avoid having 100+ parts in each cargotube (700-800 parts). So each tube now consists of 4 inflatable rocketpart storage containers which can hold 80.000 rocketparts, totalling 480.000 for the whole ship rocketpart cargo.

Unity 5! Bring me salvaaaatiooooon!!

I know your pain :D stable 64 bit would be enough no matter if unity4 or 5 :D Currently I can't launch my ship to orbit for assembley.

Do you use any welded parts? 518 sounds super optimized.

That is a pusher system? The bendiness... :confused: How do you put it together, BTW? Launched in one go, constructed with exoplanetary launchpads on orbit, or good old fashioned docking of reasonably sized modules? Because the last one would be cool.

Rune. I'm kind of a fan of orbital assemblies.

That is a pusher system? The bendiness... :confused: How do you put it together, BTW? Launched in one go, constructed with exoplanetary launchpads on orbit, or good old fashioned docking of reasonably sized modules? Because the last one would be cool.

Rune. I'm kind of a fan of orbital assemblies.

Please check the 2nd link in my edited OP :) then you'll see how it was constructed!

Please check the 2nd link in my edited OP :) then you'll see how it was constructed!

Impressive base, EVE overhaul and KSP Renaissance?

But assmebly on minmus and launching from there... hmmm feels little bit cheated, but ok, mine did'n even get from any ground. *gna*

Oh and also did you make this with x64?

Ah, I see now. Nice mod base, and nice use of exaplanetary launchpads. Been wanting to check that mod out for some time, but I am not that heavy a mod user myself, I kinda leave them for when the devs stop adding content and breaking them every couple months :). But I challenge you to assemble something similar on LKO, from pieces launched by plausible-looking LVs. It's more complicated, no doubt, and wouldn't make use of the wonderful infrastructure you have already set up, but the structural challenge alone makes it worthy if challenge is what you are going after in your next build.

Rune. You will get that pusher/puller comment a lot better by the second try.

Ah, I see now. Nice mod base, and nice use of exaplanetary launchpads. Been wanting to check that mod out for some time, but I am not that heavy a mod user myself, I kinda leave them for when the devs stop adding content and breaking them every couple months :). But I challenge you to assemble something similar on LKO, from pieces launched by plausible-looking LVs. It's more complicated, no doubt, and wouldn't make use of the wonderful infrastructure you have already set up, but the structural challenge alone makes it worthy if challenge is what you are going after in your next build.

Rune. You will get that pusher/puller comment a lot better by the second try.

That's actually what I tried to do first, but with an LKO assembly you get a very wobbly ship, plus you ramp up the part count since you need a lot of docking ports and struts, plus you are limited in the way you can build things, since it has to come by a rocket.

Planetary base assembly is the way to go if you want a large, efficient ship with just enough parts to fulfill what it's supposed to do. And you can also fill up the ship with fuel from there as well. And other supplies!

Alewx: yes it's 64bit! And I use EVE only for visuals.

So in one of my test builds I filled all the inflatables with 480.000 rocketparts...

Ship weight went from 1300t to 3500t..

>_>

<_<

Also saw I could basically build the Enterprise TWO times with that amount of rocketparts, with parts to spare!!!

Anyways, I'll travel with maybe 10% of that... And simple make my colony descent stages from that..

Dear god.

Good God man! Not only is that beat a monster achievement, it looks very well done. That's incredible.

Thanks! :D

I know your pain :D stable 64 bit would be enough no matter if unity4 or 5 :D Currently I can't launch my ship to orbit for assembley.

Do you use any welded parts? 518 sounds super optimized.

Nope! no welded parts, and the only area I could use it would be the midsection, and I'd save at most 8 parts. So I figured I can skip it.

What kind of magic supercomputer are you using? Cause I'm not sure if I'd get multiple frames per minute if I loaded that ship on mine. :confused:

What kind of magic supercomputer are you using? Cause I'm not sure if I'd get multiple frames per minute if I loaded that ship on mine. :confused:

Okay, 12-15 was a total lie. It's actually around 5-6 fps, which is still manageable... but burning to Jool takes me only 7.5 real-time hours..... That'll have to be done over the night I guess lol.

Already in workings of a new more part-efficient ship, might post it here later also.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.