What's the funniest thing you've seen/heard a new player do in KSP?

physicsnerd

I saw a stream of someone's first attempt at KSP as guided by a more veteran player. They were informed that their otherwise-pretty-solid rocket was going to have a bad time shortly. Mainly because he forgot to check the staging. First thing his ship did was decouple the side-boosters, which caused a chain reaction of the whole thing blowing up on the launchpad. Good times.

What I'm always confused by is people who, while they can figure out how to play a game about rocket science, don't realize that if they just post "C:/Program Files/Games/KSP_Win/Screenshots/Whatever0001.png" into an images thread, we can't see into their hard drive.

Maybe there's just more little kids playing this game than I realize.

I always love the look of bewilderment when that first rocket (or 3 or 5) either crashes and burns, or barely goes anywhere.

I remember when I first got the game and my short one or two stage rockets weren't going anywhere so I thought "I've got this", and built the tallest most unstable and underpowered thing I've ever seen. It's got a ton of fuel and more stages so it HAS to work... It almost fell over on the launchpad then slowly but surely slithered and wobbled it's way up to the top of the atmosphere, and still didn't make stable orbit. "ok maybe I should try some radial attachment now".

What I'm always confused by is people who, while they can figure out how to play a game about rocket science, don't realize that if they just post "C:/Program Files/Games/KSP_Win/Screenshots/Whatever0001.png" into an images thread, we can't see into their hard drive.

Maybe there's just more little kids playing this game than I realize.

But windows is supposed to let you see inta things!

The first time I showed my older brother KSP he immediately refused any help and wanted to learn on his own. He already knew a bit from watching me play on my own computer, so he made a small rocket on his own. Trouble is, he forgot a parachute and watched with horror as his capsule was approaching the ground fast, and exploded :D. I then taught him a bit more and he starting getting into orbit with the Kerbal X, but he doesn't really play it.

I must have been the funniest thing to watch when I started with Kerbal. I did not know what that navball was etc. I would look at where the rocket was pointing and go by that. Oh well... I learned about navball only after my first munlandings...

Well, my noob method of getting to the Mun was to crank an orbit out to munar orbit and wait for an encounter. This was before I figured out maneuver nodes. Not that funny, I know...

I did the same thing! Usually I didn't even bother with making Munar orbit once I got an encounter; I just waited until my path intersected the surface and prepared for landing. I actually got my first Mun landing using that method, so I guess it's not all bad ...

I did the same thing! Usually I didn't even bother with making Munar orbit once I got an encounter; I just waited until my path intersected the surface and prepared for landing. I actually got my first Mun landing using that method, so I guess it's not all bad ...

Actually, its how i made my first landing, and at times i still do, launch when the mun is at the appropiate position, then not even bother in orbitting Kerbin, but go straight to the mun on an interception course and land, fast, crazy and fun :P

My sister's first time playing KSP went something like this:

"I just need a really big rocket to get into orbit."

*stacks ALL THE ROCKETS onto each other*

*burns directly upward, no gravity turn*

*reaches escape velocity while still in the atmosphere of Kerbin*

b78.gif

Heh, some of this seems to be "I didn't know how navigation worked, so I messed around". Another friend did this. Burned around trying to get to the moon (by pointing straight at it) and eventually got an encounter, but couldn't make orbit. He had no idea what a maneuver node was or what the navball was. I told them to go through the tutorials.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/609/038/b78.gif

Jebediah would be proud.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/609/038/b78.gif

On my first Mun rocket, instead of throttling down to terminal velocity, my solution for low altitude drag was to just power through it with moar boosters. I was getting reentry effects during vertical ascent.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.