1/10 Stock System Config for RSS

metaphor

• 1 month later...

i know the cause of the bumpiness, basically,

the planet is too small.

Detail:

when you have a smaller planet, the heightmap has less area to spread out the mountains/hills/etc., so a tiny hill could be turned into a large hill, or in this case, mountains, BIG mountains.

i would imagine the solution would be editing the heightmap to make the mountains lower, but i havnt tried this, as i would probably screw this up, but what i know so far i discovered while making asteroids for my asteroid belt pack for planet factory.

i know the cause of the bumpiness, basically,

the planet is too small.

Detail:

when you have a smaller planet, the heightmap has less area to spread out the mountains/hills/etc., so a tiny hill could be turned into a large hill, or in this case, mountains, BIG mountains.

i would imagine the solution would be editing the heightmap to make the mountains lower, but i havnt tried this, as i would probably screw this up, but what i know so far i discovered while making asteroids for my asteroid belt pack for planet factory.

AFAIK there's no heightmap for Kerbin. It's procedurally generated by the game.

I wonder how small one could make it with the game still being playable? (not including balance, of course it's going to be imbalanced as hail)

1%?

0.1%?

What's the "you can make a rocket that's the size of the planet if you try hard enough" limit?

This begs further research!

AFAIK there's no heightmap for Kerbin.

false

It's procedurally generated by the game.

true.

The heightmap is just one of the "mods" applied to Kerbin's terrain; there are many others, and they're all based on noise functions. The actual mesh itself, too, is procedural, just some of the information used to create it (the base heightmap) is non-procedural. :)

Sounds like the deformity of the heightmap, and the frequency and deformity of the other PQSMods, needs to be changed.

I wonder how small one could make it with the game still being playable? (not including balance, of course it's going to be imbalanced as hail)

1%?

0.1%?

What's the "you can make a rocket that's the size of the planet if you try hard enough" limit?

This begs further research!

Someone definitely needs to try and make a 1% Scale config for this. KSC would be perched on top of a hill or something, but it would totally be worth it just to be able to hug Gilly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
What about the 0.1% config?

I decided to punch some numbers into my calculator.

JhxpBW3.png

Original image: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/34082-Planet-Size-Comparison-Graphic

If I had drawn the runway, it would be the width of the image.

Obviously, we need this.

Also, Gilly would be 26 mk1 lander cans in diameter.

[EDIT] I just realized I drew the VAB on Laythe. The size is correct, though.

Edited by Thunderous Echo

• 3 weeks later...

1% Config test:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Very fun at first, but then, well, I'll quote what I said on Reddit about this.

You can try mixing around with the settings in the 1/10 stock system config for RSS, that's just what I've done. Be here be Krakens. Hell Krakens. I tried launching (after having flatened the terrain) and I got an instant-ish hell kraken.
Actually, it seems like it only hell kraken'd once! Flying into orbit in a rocket now!
Actually 2: It then hell-krashed when I tried pulling a turn sideways to land at KSC2, which lies on a large, snowy white hill. I wonder why this happens.

• 2 months later...

What if we just removed planets entirely from the game and made "planets" into on-rails objects with gravity, but like PQScity objects made from 3D models instead of procedural/heightmaps. For scales like 120m Kerbin, for instance. It would remove the scaledspace camera clipping, the weird terrain, all of that unfortunate stuff.

Although that isn't much of a RSS config, more of a completely different mod.

Maybe more worth it to remake Science of the Spheres :P

• 1 month later...
What if we just removed planets entirely from the game and made "planets" into on-rails objects with gravity, but like PQScity objects made from 3D models instead of procedural/heightmaps. For scales like 120m Kerbin, for instance. It would remove the scaledspace camera clipping, the weird terrain, all of that unfortunate stuff.

Although that isn't much of a RSS config, more of a completely different mod.

Maybe more worth it to remake Science of the Spheres :P

So, like this?

qgwo3xV.png

This is just the Mun as a part (like any command pod or fuel tank). It doesn't have gravity and it isn't on rails, but we're getting closer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.