Heavy planes break the runway in 0.25?

Missed that (or maybe it was edited after my last post), so it seems the problem would be with B9

I think a combination of weight, size, and parts.

Tried spreading the load with extra landing gear?

Nope, I centipede the plane with the stock wheels; same thing.

I'd prefer it stays in...so long as the "big feature" that destructible buildings was a lead-up to is construction, and among the construction options are reinforced and supersized runways.

Maybe have upgrades for the runway, say starting max tonnage is 50t, then 100t, then 200t and so on...

It's a feature!!!

Aha

But seriously, who thought having slabs of cement heavy things move on explode was a good design idea? We can't just avoid the launchpad and the runway like we can buildings. Squad needs to crowd source more "features".

It will be a feature, once they allow building different runways of different load bearing capacity. You should have difficulty taking off with your An-225 on a muddy airfield.

Yup. Paddock landings need to be stickier/bumpier/more slippery. At present, it's easier to land next to the KSC runway than on it.

I'd prefer it stays in...so long as the "big feature" that destructible buildings was a lead-up to is construction, and among the construction options are reinforced and supersized runways.

Interesting idea.

Similarly for the launch pad, there is some analogy to real life. The Space Shuttle's launch pad/tower was frequently repaired post-launch.

Best thing to do is start a new sandbox game and turn on indestructible buildings in the options.

Yes, there is no need for a mod to fix the problem (now that's something new for squad!).

However it's still hilarious that their "tiny feature" of destroyable buildings makes game borderline unplayable.

I`m OK with this (well maybe not the runway) as it seems to be leading to upgradeable buildings and a more in depth career mode.

Upgradeable buildings could be added without destroyable buildings just fine.

It's not just the runway, the launchpad has the same problem. Out of all of the things that explode in this game, I don't want the launchpad or the runway to ever explode.

Shouldn't the stability towers/thingies prevent it? Just make sure your ship doesn't touch the ground and you're good to go. They are harder to place on spaceplanes, but the launchpad shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: Releasing the stability thingies without first throttling up was fun

2rrrpxx.jpg

The 3 kerbal capsule still survived :cool:

Edited by juanml82

Shouldn't the stability towers/thingies prevent it? Just make sure your ship doesn't touch the ground and you're good to go. They are harder to place on spaceplanes, but the launchpad shouldn't be a problem.

problem with space plane is that you may want to roll down the runway for take off (if you don't have a >1 T/W ratio)

Funny. Now apparently we have something like "bug fanboys" too. :) Ok, its only my opinion, i may be wrong, but imho its a bug, not a feature. Simple as that. It will be fixed one way or the other. Its not necessary to "defend" it, or incorporate it in some weird form of "hardcore reality" gameplay. To get your plane "dropped" on the runway at start is crazy in the first place, there are wheels on these planes and runways to drive to the starting position for a reason ;)

"Hey Jeb, our 5 Billion STTO prototype is ready, standing by in the SPH!".

"Great Bill, just fly it to the runway and drop it from at least 3m, no time to drive it there!!"

;)

Edited by smart013

problem with space plane is that you may want to roll down the runway for take off (if you don't have a >1 T/W ratio)

I meant it to lower it gently - basically, to place it on the runway. I've just tried placing a 500 T plane, though, and it didn't break it. Maybe it's a matter of moar gears?

2gt9rmd.jpg

I've just tried placing a 500 T plane, though, and it didn't break it.

But does it fly? ;)

More seriously, the damage occurs when the force between parts and the runway/pad/building changes suddenly and this happens more with physically larger vessels that flex more. You could probably strut the OPs plane to reduce flex on physics load and it would stop the explosions...

But does it fly? ;)

More seriously, the damage occurs when the force between parts and the runway/pad/building changes suddenly and this happens more with physically larger vessels that flex more. You could probably strut the OPs plane to reduce flex on physics load and it would stop the explosions...

Yes, also if plane wheels is not level, typically the front wheel is placed lower or is longer to tilt nose up during takeoff.

And this is an obvious bug, first the drop plane is just game mechanism for loading a plane, you would get the same effect if it spawned in the hangar.

Second is that the runway is far more sturdy than the plane, nothing who don't destroy the plane will destroy the runway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.