Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

19 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Modify the config. In the MODEL module, you can add a texture node and put the link to the texture. You can edit the stats of an engine by changing the engine mudule. I can't really show much right now, because I'm on mobile. 

Thanks for the reply. I can't find the engines' config

Hello,

I have installed the necessary mods via CKAN and launched the game. On the loading screen it was written 20 mods were installed. My problem is that, the real solar system wasn't installed or not working. I have tried to uninstall the mods and re-install again via CKAN but couldn't fix it. The game runs on Kerbol system, not our Solar System.

4 minutes ago, ondert said:

Hello,

I have installed the necessary mods via CKAN and launched the game. On the loading screen it was written 20 mods were installed. My problem is that, the real solar system wasn't installed or not working. I have tried to uninstall the mods and re-install again via CKAN but couldn't fix it. The game runs on Kerbol system, not our Solar System.

IIRC, RSS won't automatically be installed with RO by CKAN.  Try searching for RSS in CKAN and seeing if it says it's installed.  If that fails, check your Gamedata directory and see if it looks like it's installed.  If that fails, it's a faulty install and I can't help you.

15 minutes ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

IIRC, RSS won't automatically be installed with RO by CKAN.  Try searching for RSS in CKAN and seeing if it says it's installed.  If that fails, check your Gamedata directory and see if it looks like it's installed.  If that fails, it's a faulty install and I can't help you.

Yep. I always install a fresh install in steps up from stock. RSS should definitely be installed first (or at least, before other Real[Blank] mods), then built up a few mods at a time for best success.

3 minutes ago, ondert said:

Thank you for quick replies. Yes, I realized after you said that RSS is not installed by CKAN. I'll fix it manually and write again. Also, is FAR required for RO? 

Glad you got it to work!
I think it is, but it *might* work without it, but probably not perfectly.

I've tried out some of Realistic Progression Zero (RP-0) through CKAN and I'm pretty impressed.

From what little I've looked at, it does about 90% of what I was aiming for in my own private mod ideas. I haven't looked through it a lot, but so far I've only got a few quibbles:

There's no Jeb/Bob/Etc Kerman at the start. :-(

But I do like how you have simple scientific instruments such as a barometer, thermometer, etc available at game start; unlike stock KSP which locks those away.

Edited by MKSheppard

I'm in the early stages of troubleshooting a new problem that just cropped up, so I'm not ready to go full "Here's my logs, HALP PLS!", but I am curious to see if anyone has had this happen before. I reinstalled RO on a fresh KSP install, along with all the usual recommended mods. For some reason, some of the Bobcat Soviet engines aren't showing up. Specifically, the RD-180, but some of the others as well (can't think of their names, as I don't use them much). Could this just be a bad install, or is there a change that I'm not aware of?

On 2/12/2016 at 8:10 PM, jonrd463 said:

I'm in the early stages of troubleshooting a new problem that just cropped up, so I'm not ready to go full "Here's my logs, HALP PLS!", but I am curious to see if anyone has had this happen before. I reinstalled RO on a fresh KSP install, along with all the usual recommended mods. For some reason, some of the Bobcat Soviet engines aren't showing up. Specifically, the RD-180, but some of the others as well (can't think of their names, as I don't use them much). Could this just be a bad install, or is there a change that I'm not aware of?

Are you using DTL?  I have the same problem, and I have a creeping suspicion that DTL is causing it.  The NK-33 is still there for me, but in two versions, one with messed up textures.

17 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

From a quick test that i did, all engines are showing up in the editor (they do not use MODEL{} nodes so they are directory-insensitive).

If you open the "ModuleManager.ConfigCache" file and search for "RD180" do you find an entry?

Yes, it's there.

16 hours ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

Are you using DTL?  I have the same problem, and I have a creeping suspicion that DTL is causing it.  The NK-33 is still there for me, but in two versions, one with messed up textures.

In fact, I am. I love the performance boost it's giving me, but I suspect it's also what's causing some weird shader effects on my procedural parts textures. I'm getting bad specular/reflective effects that, while not gamebreaking, is pretty annoying. If it's also affecting the Bobcat engines, that pretty much seals the deal for me. Gonna remove it and see what happens.

Thanks!

UPDATE: That was the solution to both problems. I like the idea behind DTL, and as I mentioned, I liked the boost it gave me. Just going to hold off for the time being while it's still being developed.

Edited by jonrd463

13 hours ago, jonrd463 said:

In fact, I am. I love the performance boost it's giving me, but I suspect it's also what's causing some weird shader effects on my procedural parts textures. I'm getting bad specular/reflective effects that, while not gamebreaking, is pretty annoying. If it's also affecting the Bobcat engines, that pretty much seals the deal for me. Gonna remove it and see what happens.

Thanks!

UPDATE: That was the solution to both problems. I like the idea behind DTL, and as I mentioned, I liked the boost it gave me. Just going to hold off for the time being while it's still being developed.

I'm glad it works, and now I know I know what is causing the problem for me.

I'm having trouble with a specific part, the Merlin rocket engines.  I can't seem to pinpoint the config file.  I think it's "RO_StarShine_MerlinPack", but I'm not sure.  If this is the correct file, then I am really confused, because the variants that I want to work with (Merlin1D-FullThrust and Merlin1DVac-FullThrust) are in the config file, but aren't in game.  Could someone help me out, or at least point me to the correct forum thread, if this is the wrong place to ask this?

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to send out a big thank you to everyone working on RSS, RO, RP-0 and all of the dependent and recommended mods. I have had many many hours of frustration enjoyment. I've been playing KSP since just before .18 and after 1.0 came out I thought I was completely 100% burned out on the game, but you all have brought this game back to life for me. I really appreciate all of the time and hard work you guys put in to this!

What are your go to engines fo RO? So far in my RP-0 career mine are:

1. The Astris, for its infinite restarts and semi decent other stats
  2. The lunar descent engine for landings of any sort, because it's the only thing I have with decent throttleability
  3. The J2 for orbit insertion
  4. The F1 because moar thrust
  5. A MMO/NTH high thrust, single ignition engine (can't remember the name), for lunar/other insertion of heavy things while avoiding boil off

From what I can see though I am probably going to struggle to find decent engines later in the career when I want to land large manned missions on mars.

Today was a good day: it is the first time that i finally managed to "land" an artificial object to the Moon.

1. Launch vehicle:

Spoiler

A Thor Able I was used for launching Pioneer 2 in a flyby trajectory. It consists of a Thor DM-18 booster, an Able second stage and an Altair X-248 as a final booster for TLI.

The vehicle parameters are as close to the real launch vehicle as possible. The payload is lighter than the real Pioneer 2 though (20 Kg versus ~40 Kg).

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

Part mods used:

• FASA (launch table)
  • Procedural Fairings (with some custom textures),
  • Procedural Parts (with some custom textures)
  • Procedural Wings
  • Stock (engines, avionics, antennae)
  • SXT (engines, Pioneer probe core)

And of course, the whole RSS/RO/RP-0 package with the required & recommended mods.

2. Launch Window:

Spoiler

The vehicle has a large enough Delta - V budget for a flight to the Moon but it is impossible to enter a LEO before TLI. A direct ascent is required and to make things more difficult, we also have to worry about the relative inclination between Cape Canaveral (28.608 degrees) and the native Moon inclination (28.3 degrees). That means we need to launch during a very specific window were inclination and RAAN are minimal.

We use the KSPTOT by @Arrowstar to get a launch window. Entering the epoch and searching around for a good enough window we get:

• Launch Site: Cape Canaveral
  • Target: Moon
  • Launch window TOD (centered): 10/08/1956 @ 23:15:00 UTC
  • Mean anomaly: 120 degrees

Please note that the specified TOD may not be inline with the actual KSP TOD (it was day when i launched). That is caused mainly because KSP does not simulate the bodies using a N-Body simulator (would love to get my hands on Principia though).

3. Launch:

Spoiler

Unfortunately i did not capture enough screenshots from this mission as it was a bit nerve cracking but I managed to get the most significant bits:

Ballistic flight to the TLI burn point

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

Ready for TLI! Able has imparted a rotation to the Altair X-248 for spin - stabilization during the injection burn.

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

After TLI and payload separation ( @NathanKell taught me to also take into account the kick of the decouplers so that the payload will not to veer off course. This time, it pays off big time!)

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

4. Flight & Impact:

Spoiler

The Altair X-248 booster accelerated the Pioneer 2 probe at over 11 km/s, enough to escape the Earth's SOI. 24 hours, 32 minutes and 35 seconds after launch, Pioneer 2 becomes the first object to impact the Moon with a speed of 4.47 km/s and it is instantly vaporized. The location of impact was calculated to be 0° 07' 57" W, 41° 40' 37" N.

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

Edited by Phineas Freak
Remove images

OK So I have decided to bite the bullet and try RO with RSS and RP-0. Tried installing the mods with CKAN and had just space when I went to KSC.

After looking at the thread I see that RSS needs installing first so I`ll remove all my mods, install RSS, load and exit the game then install RO, load, exit, then RP-0.

Will edit the post to let you know how it goes

EDIT 1: slight frustration with CKAN not wanting to overwrite craft files in ships/vab, then ships/sph then ships/@thumbs then CKAN for some reason wanted to download scansat and realchute from kerbalstuff (after downloading them fine from spacedock) but then was fine the next try and now after I deleted all the craft in ships/VAB, SPH and @thumbs it has thrown an error saying it can`t update a file in ships/@thumbs so I will delete the whole folder, make a fresh vanilla one and start again...

Edited by John FX

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.