The Grand Orbital Space Station Challenge [closed to new entries]

hmm this is interesting but i seriously need to Learn how to properly intercept a station (i dont know how to kill my speed....properly) i might as well give it a try to home in my skills.

i am using mods but i can push a crapton of tonage and capacity into space if i need to

OK, the list of rules is really long, and I'm not sure exactly you want, but here's my big Jool Station

AGRjygR.png

She is 344 ton, fully automated, but can house 82, and has a large science lab. She can also hold 3000 units of ore and has a processor. Her fuel capacity is huge... I'll have to get the exact number.

Believe it or not, it can be launched as a single unit. 550 parts total, almost 750 ton at launch. It's very hard to get into orbit, you really need to baby the throttle, so I don't have launch screenshots. But I suppose I can get one if I'm careful, and you really need it.

Oh, only one mod: she has the antennas from Asteroid day.

Not sure what other info you need.

Just add me to the honorable mentions.

Done!

- - - Updated - - -

OK, the list of rules is really long, and I'm not sure exactly you want, but here's my big Jool Station

http://i.imgur.com/AGRjygR.png

She is 344 ton, fully automated, but can house 82, and has a large science lab. She can also hold 3000 units of ore and has a processor. Her fuel capacity is huge... I'll have to get the exact number.

Believe it or not, it can be launched as a single unit. 550 parts total, almost 750 ton at launch. It's very hard to get into orbit, you really need to baby the throttle, so I don't have launch screenshots. But I suppose I can get one if I'm careful, and you really need it.

Oh, only one mod: she has the antennas from Asteroid day.

Not sure what other info you need.

Just Jim, that's a nice looking station. I like the use of the large wings as structural members.

In order to score your entry, I basically need an imgur album or similar with a series of photos showing specific information. From the OP (with missing items highlighted):

"Provide a brief description of your station, noting any mods used, along with screenshots documenting all significant steps in the launch, assembly, transit, and operation of your station. Try to take screenshots when the station is on the daytime side of the celestial body, unless you’re showing off the cool lighting or emissives on your station. Include screenshots of at least one shuttle/mining/harvesting run for any dedicated craft. Please provide data in the screen shots on a regular basis using MJ, KER, or by keeping the resource panel open. Be kind to everyone’s bandwidth and use an imgur album or other similar method for posting photos. Please tally up your points as part of your entry." Also note that because the scoring system includes -2 points for every ton on the launch pad, we need at least one shot in the VAB or on the pad showing the mass of the craft prior to launch.

I'm afraid it's not the easiest challenge for the TL;DR crowd, but I wanted to have a scoring system that assigns a value to a station in orbit just about anywhere in the Kerbol system. If you don't have photos sufficient to allow it to be scored, I'm happy to add it to the honorable mentions. For the record, I'm also totally fine with recreations for photo op purposes - launch another copy of the station, keep the resource panel open so we can confirm that it has enough Delta V to actually get where it ends up, and that's generally enough. The main thing is that anything that smacks of HyperEdit or other cheaty things is prohibited. There's no "challenge" if it's not hard to get it up there in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

hmm this is interesting but i seriously need to Learn how to properly intercept a station (i dont know how to kill my speed....properly) i might as well give it a try to home in my skills.

i am using mods but i can push a crapton of tonage and capacity into space if i need to

Lego8_bit, it's totally fine to launch it all in one go if you have a big enough launcher and have the aerodynamics figured out enough to get into orbit. (Hint - Low TWR going straight up until you're past 30 km works really well for heavy, unaerodynamic loads. Plan on spending at least 4,500 m/s to get into orbit.)

Edited by Norcalplanner
Clarifying

Just Jim, that's a nice looking station. I like the use of the large wings as structural members.

In order to score your entry, I basically need an imgur album or similar with a series of photos showing specific information. From the OP (with missing items highlighted):

"Provide a brief description of your station, noting any mods used, along with screenshots documenting all significant steps in the launch, assembly, transit, and operation of your station. Try to take screenshots when the station is on the daytime side of the celestial body, unless you’re showing off the cool lighting or emissives on your station. Include screenshots of at least one shuttle/mining/harvesting run for any dedicated craft. Please provide data in the screen shots on a regular basis using MJ, KER, or by keeping the resource panel open. Be kind to everyone’s bandwidth and use an imgur album or other similar method for posting photos. Please tally up your points as part of your entry." Also note that because the scoring system includes -2 points for every ton on the launch pad, we need at least one shot in the VAB or on the pad showing the mass of the craft prior to launch.

I'm afraid it's not the easiest challenge for the TL;DR crowd, but I wanted to have a scoring system that assigns a value to a station in orbit just about anywhere in the Kerbol system. If you don't have photos sufficient to allow it to be scored, I'm happy to add it to the honorable mentions. For the record, I'm also totally fine with recreations for photo op purposes - launch another copy of the station, keep the resource panel open so we can confirm that it has enough Delta V to actually get where it ends up, and that's generally enough. The main thing is that anything that smacks of HyperEdit or other cheaty things is prohibited. There's no "challenge" if it's not hard to get it up there in the first place.

)

Oh, OK. I suppose I could set up another launch, but I'll be honest, I don't know if I want to go thru all that again just to enter a contest.

But I do have one question... what the heck is this "Hyperedit"?

I keep seeing this word showing up.... is it like the Debug thing?

Hyperedit is a mod that allow you to put directly in orbit any craft you like:

useful, eventually, for "testing purpose" (Esample: you wanna test an Eve/Tylo lander, to check if it can take off to orbit again) but, obviously, not good for challenges, when you HAVE to launch your things in orbit :P

Hyperedit is a mod that allow you to put directly in orbit any craft you like:

useful, eventually, for "testing purpose" (Esample: you wanna test an Eve/Tylo lander, to check if it can take off to orbit again) but, obviously, not good for challenges, when you HAVE to launch your things in orbit :P

Oh really??? yeah, I can see why that would be considered cheating! :P

OK, the OP said I could recreate the launch. I'm going to be test flying an SSTO this morning (it's so close I can taste it..... lol), but later I'll back everything up and set up a launch to get some screenshots. I have no problem with that.

Here is my space station for ths challenge. The Munar Science, Fuel and Passenger Station (MSDPS) It is all stock and in orbit around the mun. (obviously).

My points

Tons payload 217.3 * 100 +21,730

Tons Launcher 1928.5 * -2 -3857

Kerbals on board 53 * 100 +5300

Comfortable seats 50 * 200 +10,000

Manned Space Lab +500

2 kerbal lander +1000

Miner + 2000

Multiplier Mun .75

Points 23530 (Please tell if wrong )

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Dfthu

Question, Can I edit the save file time to the optimal transfer window for each launch? Or would that be cheating?

Editing files is a no-no and would be considered cheating. Is there any reason why you can't send multiple ships during a single launch window? If you use KAC, it's possible to keep track of a bunch of ships at the same time. The only trick is stretching out their arrival times a little bit at the target planet so you don't have to do multiple orbital capture burns at the same time. I've found it to be easiest if I start launching ships a few days before the transfer window, and have multiple ships waiting in LKO for the "go" order. Or are you sending ships to different destinations?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my space station for ths challenge. The Munar Science, Fuel and Passenger Station (MSDPS) It is all stock and in orbit around the mun. (obviously).

My points

Tons payload 217.3 * 100 +21,730

Tons Launcher 1928.5 * -2 -3857

Kerbals on board 53 * 100 +5300

Comfortable seats 50 * 200 +10,000

Manned Space Lab +500

2 kerbal lander +1000

Miner + 2000

Multiplier Mun .75

Points 23530 (Please tell if wrong )

http://imgur.com/a/WaK2x

Congratulations, Dfthu! You have completed the Grand Orbital Space Station Challenge with a Stock(-ish) entry worth 23,530 points! Nice entry - it reminds me of some of my earlier Mun stations back when I was still exploring everything for the first time, figuring out what works and what doesn't. A little high on the part count, and a little over-engineered in places. Looks like you're doing direct ascents to the Mun rather than achieving orbit and then doing a Hohman transfer, which requires a little more delta v. Your miner looks like it is (barely) in the black when making a fuel run, so it counts. And I loved that your somewhat tall lander set down on a slope that must have been way too exciting in the moment. I'll update the leaderboard. Feel free to add the badge to your sig. If you enjoyed the challenge, rep is always welcome.

Edited by Norcalplanner

Oh damn, I hadn't even thought about the problem of sending around 10 TWR<0.5 crafts with more than 1.5h burns each through the same transfer window T.T For everyone here trying to do low TWR interplanetary burns, you might want to check out red iron crown's precomputed low TWR burns. I think I "slightly" underestimated the amount of work I have put upon myself oO hope this challenge will still be active in a year or two haha

Edited by TheXRuler

oqlobd.jpg

Build it yesterday. was a pain in the ass to launch in one piece in carreer. anyway

The capacity of this ship and its moddules are

warp

orbital strike

docking

fuel generation

life support

can hold up to 125 kerbals

can hold up to 25 small aircrafts.

the station is patrolled by Destroyers

each with 4× howzitter 4x millinium cannon 15x vulcan turrets Flare dispensers and smoke screen each carrier has the ability to do warp speed and it has one fighter and one bomber.

so does this one count for the challenge ?

If I am not very mistaken (please correct me if I am norcal) you have to count the entire weight of everything you launch. Howeever, any mass you return to KSC intact will then be subtracted from the launch mass before subtracting the points from your store.

- - - Updated - - -

*snip* so does this one count for the challenge ?

From the OP (abbreviated):

"Provide a brief description of your station, noting any mods used, along with screenshots documenting all significant steps in the launch, assembly, transit, and operation of your station. Try to take screenshots when the station is on the daytime side of the celestial body, unless you’re showing off the cool lighting or emissives on your station. *snip* Please provide data in the screen shots on a regular basis using MJ, KER, or by keeping the resource panel open. Be kind to everyone’s bandwidth and use an imgur album or other similar method for posting photos. Please tally up your points as part of your entry."

Scoring:

+100 per ton in orbit around the chosen celestial body, including any dedicated craft docked to the station (tugs, landers, miners, shuttles, etc.)

-2 per ton on the launch pad or runway for all launches combined (Exception - Altered Universe Division entries score -1 per ton)

+100 per Kerbal on the station

+200 per comfortable seat of station capacity (Hitchhikers, Cupolas, OKS Habitation, Mk2 or Mk3 passenger cabins, or similar are considered comfortable; pods, cans, cockpits, and external command seats are not considered comfortable)

+500 if a manned science lab is included

+500 if Snacks are provided

+1,000 if TAC-LS or other more complex life support mod is used

+1,000 if the station has dedicated lander(s) or shuttle(s) that can take at least two Kerbals down to the surface simultaneously, and then return to the station

+1,000 if all Kerbals on board can make it back safely to the surface of Kerbin without a dedicated rescue craft being dispatched from Kerbin (dedicated lander(s) or shuttle(s), escape pods, or the capability for the entire station to make it back to the surface of Kerbin and have all Kerbals survive the landing)

+2,000 if the station and dedicated craft have the ability to mine/harvest/generate new fuel

+3,000 if the station and dedicated craft are fully self-sufficient for both fuel and life support, and don’t need resupply from Kerbin for 50+ years

All points listed above are additive. For example, a station with a dedicated shuttle that can ferry crew to the surface and back, and can also evacuate all station personnel back to Kerbin, would get (1,000 + 1,000) 2,000 points.

Scoring Multiplier:

After points are tallied, a multiplier is applied based on the difficulty of getting the station to its chosen orbit. Factors taken into account include delta V requirements, transit time, inclination, and ability to aerobrake upon arrival.

Kerbin - x0.25

Minmus - x0.5

Mun - x0.75

Duna or Ike - x1 (no modifier)

Eve - x1.5

Gilly - x2

Jool and its moons - x3

Dres - x4

Eeloo - x5

Moho - x6

KSS Tintagel with Goldfish Shuttle

rhAnHvA.jpg

Pure stock.

- 217 t (Tintagel) + 9 t (Goldfish): 22600 points

- 1493 t launch (Tintagel) + 115 t launch (Goldfish): -3216 points

- 4 kerbals at the station: 400 points

- 36 comfortable seats (8x Hitchhiker at Tintagel, 1x Mk2 Crew cabin at Goldfish): 7200 points

- two manned science labs: 500 points (or 1000, if each lab is worth 500)

- "Goldfish" 4-kerbal shuttle (non-reusable) for personnel evacuation: 1000 points

- 122x122 km Kerbin orbit: x0.25

7121 points total (add 125 if 500 per each manned lab).

It probably has enough dV to move itself to Mun orbit, so there may be further updates to this to increase the score.

Thanks. Just one more question: What does +500 points for snacks mean? Does it involve a Life support mod?

Snacks is an older life support mod, much like USI-LS. I'll edit the OP to update the reference.

- - - Updated - - -

http://i62.tinypic.com/oqlobd.jpg

Build it yesterday. was a pain in the ass to launch in one piece in carreer. anyway

The capacity of this ship and its moddules are

warp

orbital strike

docking

fuel generation

life support

can hold up to 125 kerbals

can hold up to 25 small aircrafts.

the station is patrolled by Destroyers

each with 4× howzitter 4x millinium cannon 15x vulcan turrets Flare dispensers and smoke screen each carrier has the ability to do warp speed and it has one fighter and one bomber.

so does this one count for the challenge ?

XxSkillZorxX, I'm afraid that I need more information before I can score your entry. TheXRuler was right on the money in his interpretation of the rules. I'd be happy to add you to the honorable mentions if you don't have all the information needed for a scoring entry.

- - - Updated - - -

If I am not very mistaken (please correct me if I am norcal) you have to count the entire weight of everything you launch. Howeever, any mass you return to KSC intact will then be subtracted from the launch mass before subtracting the points from your store.

- - - Updated - - -

From the OP (abbreviated):

"Provide a brief description of your station, noting any mods used, along with screenshots documenting all significant steps in the launch, assembly, transit, and operation of your station. Try to take screenshots when the station is on the daytime side of the celestial body, unless you’re showing off the cool lighting or emissives on your station. *snip* Please provide data in the screen shots on a regular basis using MJ, KER, or by keeping the resource panel open. Be kind to everyone’s bandwidth and use an imgur album or other similar method for posting photos. Please tally up your points as part of your entry."

Scoring:

+100 per ton in orbit around the chosen celestial body, including any dedicated craft docked to the station (tugs, landers, miners, shuttles, etc.)

-2 per ton on the launch pad or runway for all launches combined (Exception - Altered Universe Division entries score -1 per ton)

+100 per Kerbal on the station

+200 per comfortable seat of station capacity (Hitchhikers, Cupolas, OKS Habitation, Mk2 or Mk3 passenger cabins, or similar are considered comfortable; pods, cans, cockpits, and external command seats are not considered comfortable)

+500 if a manned science lab is included

+500 if Snacks are provided

+1,000 if TAC-LS or other more complex life support mod is used

+1,000 if the station has dedicated lander(s) or shuttle(s) that can take at least two Kerbals down to the surface simultaneously, and then return to the station

+1,000 if all Kerbals on board can make it back safely to the surface of Kerbin without a dedicated rescue craft being dispatched from Kerbin (dedicated lander(s) or shuttle(s), escape pods, or the capability for the entire station to make it back to the surface of Kerbin and have all Kerbals survive the landing)

+2,000 if the station and dedicated craft have the ability to mine/harvest/generate new fuel

+3,000 if the station and dedicated craft are fully self-sufficient for both fuel and life support, and don’t need resupply from Kerbin for 50+ years

All points listed above are additive. For example, a station with a dedicated shuttle that can ferry crew to the surface and back, and can also evacuate all station personnel back to Kerbin, would get (1,000 + 1,000) 2,000 points.

Scoring Multiplier:

After points are tallied, a multiplier is applied based on the difficulty of getting the station to its chosen orbit. Factors taken into account include delta V requirements, transit time, inclination, and ability to aerobrake upon arrival.

Kerbin - x0.25

Minmus - x0.5

Mun - x0.75

Duna or Ike - x1 (no modifier)

Eve - x1.5

Gilly - x2

Jool and its moons - x3

Dres - x4

Eeloo - x5

Moho - x6

You got it!

KSS Tintagel with Goldfish Shuttle

http://i.imgur.com/rhAnHvA.jpg

Pure stock.

- 217 t (Tintagel) + 9 t (Goldfish): 22600 points

- 36 comfortable seats (8x Hitchhiker at Tintagel, 1x Mk2 Crew cabin at Goldfish): 7200 points

- two manned science labs: 500 points (or 1000, if each lab is worth 500)

- "Goldfish" 4-kerbal shuttle (non-reusable) for personnel evacuation: 1000 points

- 122x122 km Kerbin orbit: x0.25

7121 points total (add 125 if 500 per each manned lab).

http://imgur.com/a/d2Y0Q http://imgur.com/a/ZjL6r

It probably has enough dV to move itself to Mun orbit, so there may be further updates to this to increase the score.

Congratulations, Haruspex! You've completed the Grand Orbital Space Station Challenge with a Stock(-ish) entry scoring 7,121 points!

Great looking stock entry. No nonsense onion staging on the lifter, and I always like a craft large enough to make using a Mainsail as an upper stage engine seem worthwhile. I also enjoyed how the science side stacked contained all the science gear; it's like the design is modular, but without being detachable. Airbrakes galore on the escape capsule! (I've used them in lieu of a heat shield more than once myself.) And kudos for the documentation - this could be used as an example of what sort of photos to take. One question - the ascents seemed to go vertical for a long time instead of doing a gravity turn earlier, even though your designs were pretty streamlined. Were they really so flip-happy that a steeper ascent made sense, or was it just a matter of playing it safe? Regardless, it worked. I'll add you to the leaderboard.

Feel free to add the badge to your sig. If you enjoyed the challenge, rep is always welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn. my attempt to get 64 kerbals to moho was 300 dv short. :huh:

Moho can be a harsh mistress - you have to make a huge delta-V change in a fairly short timeframe, and the amount of delta-V required is highly variable depending on where Moho is in its orbit. There's a reason why the multiplier is so high.:)

Edited by Norcalplanner

Update: I've moved it to the Mun (and lost 72 t of fuel in the process). So:

- 154 t total mass: 15400 points

- two manned science labs: 500 points

- 829x693 km Munar orbit: x0.75

It's 15963 points now.

One question - the ascents seemed to go vertical for a long time instead of doing a gravity turn earlier, even though your designs were pretty streamlined. Were they really so flip-happy that a steeper ascent made sense, or was it just a matter of playing it safe?
I had a really bad streak of flippings in 1.0.2, so now I never turn until 17-20 km, even if the payload is stable. Just a matter of playing it safe, I guess.

How did you get something that asymmetric to fly straight Oo Gratz BTW

Edit: Also, what can immensely help with flipping is sticking some very long, very thin [thread=104966]Procedural Wings[/thread] along the side of your rocket, adjust the shape as seen fit. Also, use the Center of Lift (should be "center of aerodynamic pressure" in the VAB) and Center of Mass markes while building. If for any stage your CoL is infront of your CoM while you are still in the atmosphere (up until say 30km) you are likely to flip. You can check for seperate stages by just temporarily detaching the lower stage at the decoupler, also check the shift of your CoM as you burn fuel, since we have tweakable fuel leves in the editor in stock since I dunno, 0.90 at the latest.

Edited by TheXRuler

Update: I've moved it to the Mun (and lost 72 t of fuel in the process). So:

- 154 t total mass: 15400 points

- two manned science labs: 500 points

- 829x693 km Munar orbit: x0.75

It's 15963 points now.

http://imgur.com/a/5opV5

I had a really bad streak of flippings in 1.0.2, so now I never turn until 17-20 km, even if the payload is stable. Just a matter of playing it safe, I guess.

Well done. I'll update the leaderboard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.