The Comprehensive Kerbal Archive Network (CKAN) Package Manager; v1.18.0 [19 June 2016]

pjf

6 hours ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

So I've got a big problem with CKAN. If I delete a mod MANUALLY from my gamedata folder, CKAN borks, throws an error because another mod (which I also uninstalled, but CKAN still thinks its installed) has the other deleted one as a dependency. So now CKAN throws an error every time I start it up and I can't do anything with it. Is this a common problem? Should I just delete the whole gamedata folder and start over?

I have the same sort of problem if I delete a mod that was previously installed manually as well (showing as "AD" in the interface). That makes it really hard to switch to installing it via CKAN. ;)

4 hours ago, Kerbonaut257 said:

So I've got a big problem with CKAN. If I delete a mod MANUALLY from my gamedata folder, CKAN borks, throws an error because another mod (which I also uninstalled, but CKAN still thinks its installed) has the other deleted one as a dependency. So now CKAN throws an error every time I start it up and I can't do anything with it. Is this a common problem? Should I just delete the whole gamedata folder and start over?

You could manually reinstall the deleted mod, then delete it via CKAN. You should be able to find the cached file in in CKAN/Downloads if you search for the mod name

OK...completely CKAN newb question: how do update the version number for a mod that someone else submitted metadata for? I'm asking because someone helpfully submitted metadata for my texture pack, but I have no idea how to indicate it's been updated (and hence have CKAN update the pack for users.)

16 hours ago, politas said:

You could manually reinstall the deleted mod, then delete it via CKAN. You should be able to find the cached file in in CKAN/Downloads if you search for the mod name

Hmm. Hadn't thought of that. I just ended up deleting CKANs folder, moving the gamedata folder, reinstalling everything I wanted through CKAN, then adding the other mods by hand.

On 4/5/2016 at 2:02 PM, daniel911t said:

First, I want to thank you for making this amazing and useful tool!  Your time is much appreciated.

Suggestion: I'd like to have an override button that will allow installation of mods that haven't been specifically updated to the latest KSP.

Reason: The best atmospheric autopilot I've found is the Kramax autopilot.  It is in CKAN, but is only available for 1.0.4.  I believe the original mod author has lost interest as his last update was from November 2015, but his mod still works flawlessly.  I'm sure this has come up before, and will come up again - where authors do not keep their mod administratively updated, and it would be nice to be able to have a CKAN workaround.  I try to mod using CKAN wherever possible, but I'd use CKAN for 100% if there was an override button.

Thanks for all your hard work, and I hope this is a useful suggestion.

Kramax Autopilot is now available for testing for KSP 1.1:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzid7e3pW1k7NjRCMnhzTDl0YTg/view?usp=sharing

I did this with the author's permission

On 06/04/2016 at 1:07 PM, NecroBones said:

I have the same sort of problem if I delete a mod that was previously installed manually as well (showing as "AD" in the interface). That makes it really hard to switch to installing it via CKAN. ;)

What error do you get on that? CKAN shouldn't care at all if you delete an AD mod. Does a 'ckan repair' help at all?

17 hours ago, MainSailor said:

OK...completely CKAN newb question: how do update the version number for a mod that someone else submitted metadata for? I'm asking because someone helpfully submitted metadata for my texture pack, but I have no idea how to indicate it's been updated (and hence have CKAN update the pack for users.)

Quick and dirty answer is raise an NetKan issue on github. Everyone developing CKAN is  *awesome*. at helping out people. There is also the hand guide here to start you off depending on how you choose to host your mod.

18 hours ago, MainSailor said:

Actually it looks like your mod should show up as soon as ProceduralParts is available for 1.1. GammaTextures has quite promiscuous KSP version settings (1.04+) If you upload it to Spacedock, we could scrape new versions automatically. Currently, we only have v1.11

Edited by politas

6 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

Quick and dirty answer is raise an NetKan issue on github. Everyone developing CKAN is  *awesome*. at helping out people. There is also the hand guide here to start you off depending on how you choose to host your mod.

I looked at that, however a helpful user already submitted metadata and I didn't want to add another one (and make a duplicate entry.) I didn't see anything about editing existing entries.

I'll check in with the NetKan folks though, thanks!

5 hours ago, politas said:

Actually it looks like your mod should show up as soon as ProceduralParts is available for 1.1. GammaTextures has quite promiscuous KSP version settings (1.04+) If you upload it to Spacedock, we could scrape new versions automatically. Currently, we only have v1.11

Well I suppose the thing about the texture packs is they work as long as pParts does. There's nothing version-specific about them. If I upload to Spacedock, I know there's a CKAN button there, but would it overwrite the CKAN metadata that already exists? I don't want to break user's installs.

Edit: The CKAN link currently points to my Dropbox download which I keep updated. So any new users are already getting the updated files. I just need to update the metadata to tell CKAN that the version is new I think.

Edited by MainSailor

8 hours ago, politas said:

What error do you get on that? CKAN shouldn't care at all if you delete an AD mod. Does a 'ckan repair' help at all?

OK, here are the steps where I noticed this (using the Windows client):

1. ModuleManager is showing up as "AD", but the version isn't the latest, and I want to update it.
  2. Other mods are installed that treat ModuleManager as a dependency (such as FuelTanksPlus).
  3. While CKAN client is closed, delete the MM DLL (since I can't remove an "AD" mod from the GUI).
  4. Start CKAN back up, and it immediately throws the following error:
Spoiler

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
The following inconsistencies were found:
SpaceY-Expanded requires ModuleManager but nothing provides it
 * ColorfulFuelLines requires ModuleManager but nothing provides it
 * FuelTanksPlus requires ModuleManager but nothing provides it
 * ColorCodedCans requires ModuleManager but nothing provides it   at CKAN.SanityChecker.EnforceConsistency(IEnumerable`1 modules, IEnumerable`1 dlls)
   at CKAN.RegistryManager.Save(Boolean enforce_consistency, Boolean recommmends, Boolean with_versions)
   at CKAN.Main.UpdateRepo()
   at CKAN.Main.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1073.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ckan
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Bones/Documents/KSP-Assets/CKAN/ckan.exe
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1068.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Dynamic
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.6.1073.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I haven't tried the repair. I have CKAN managing multiple KSP instances, so I'm assuming there's a parameter to tell it which one?

1 hour ago, MainSailor said:

Well I suppose the thing about the texture packs is they work as long as pParts does. There's nothing version-specific about them. If I upload to Spacedock, I know there's a CKAN button there, but would it overwrite the CKAN metadata that already exists? I don't want to break user's installs.

Edit: The CKAN link currently points to my Dropbox download which I keep updated. So any new users are already getting the updated files. I just need to update the metadata to tell CKAN that the version is new I think.

There's a review stage in the submission process, where we would catch it and make sure it works. I'm in the middle of re-doing the existing CKAN metadata , making separate install options for the individual packs.

Oh, maintaining a single dropbox link for different versions messes up CKAN terribly. Going the Spacedock route would make things much better, and I can easily adjust the files I'm creating to work with a Spacedock source.

Just now, politas said:

There's a review stage in the submission process, where we would catch it and make sure it works. I'm in the middle of re-doing the existing CKAN metadata , making separate install options for the individual packs.

Oh, maintaining a single dropbox link for different versions messes up CKAN terribly. Going the Spacedock route would make things much better, and I can easily adjust the files I'm creating to work with a Spacedock source.

OK sounds good I will upload to Spacedock then.

28 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

I haven't tried the repair. I have CKAN managing multiple KSP instances, so I'm assuming there's a parameter to tell it which one?

As far as I know, the only way is to set a default ksp install, then run the repair. Another thing you could try is doing a CLI `ckan install ModuleManager` after removing the dll. Not sure if that would bypass the consistency check that's crashing for you.

9 minutes ago, politas said:

As far as I know, the only way is to set a default ksp install, then run the repair. Another thing you could try is doing a CLI `ckan install ModuleManager` after removing the dll. Not sure if that would bypass the consistency check that's crashing for you.

I got around it originally by just deleting all of the mods and the CKAN folder, and starting over. I just went through the steps again to make sure I could reproduce it. :) It would probably be more graceful for the client to notice the missing dependency and give me the option to pull down the latest. I can try the repair and CLI install too, though. Thanks! ;)

Hi,

To date, I've been manually managing my 50+ mods.  I'm upgrading to KSP 1.1 (currently at build 1183), and want to start using CKAN to make my life a little easier.  Although 1.1 is still in pre-release, many mods have beta versions compatible with it.  Unfortunately it seems most of those beta's aren't available on CKAN.  For example, KerbalEngineerRedux in the default CKAN repository is version 1.0.19.4, but there's a new version 1.1.0.1 (compatible with KSP 1.1),  and an even newer experimental DLL with a hotfix for an issue related to heat shields.

Is there a more appropriate repository I should be using?  I tried some of the other repo's, but they didn't seem to contain what I was looking for.

Another challenge is that for some mods I want to tweak what finds its way into my GameData directory.  e.g. I often manually merge old/new settings files, substitute in alternate textures, etc.

I had the thought of creating my own local repo for these "special treatment" mods, so that could leave the bulk of management to CKAN while retaining my ability where needed to alter what CKAN ingests.

Is this a good approach, or have others found an easier / better method?

e.g. I was easily able to create a .ckan file for the new KER.  When I "Install from .ckan..." manually, it works great.  Next I put it in a local tar.gz file trying to emulate the tree structure of CKAN-meta-master.tar.gz.  I added "Fwiffo | file://F/blahblah/Mods for 1.1.x/CKAN-meta-fwiffo.tar.gz" as a repository.  But that didn't do anything.

Is it possible to set up a local repository like this or do I need to host somewhere on an http server?

Or would I be better served by forking the entire master repo?  I'm still pretty new at GitHub - some of the personalizations I want to make wouldn't be suitable for submission into the master repo anyway, and I don't want to go sending unintentional noise to the maintainers.

Also is there a way to show / filter by Repo in the CKAN list?

Appreciate any advice!

Edited by Fwiffo

2 hours ago, Fwiffo said:

Hi,

To date, I've been manually managing my 50+ mods.  I'm upgrading to KSP 1.1 (currently at build 1183), and want to start using CKAN to make my life a little easier.  Although 1.1 is still in pre-release, many mods have beta versions compatible with it.  Unfortunately it seems most of those beta's aren't available on CKAN.  For example, KerbalEngineerRedux in the default CKAN repository is version 1.0.19.4, but there's a new version 1.1.0.1 (compatible with KSP 1.1),  and an even newer experimental DLL with a hotfix for an issue related to heat shields.

Is there a more appropriate repository I should be using?  I tried some of the other repo's, but they didn't seem to contain what I was looking for.

Another challenge is that for some mods I want to tweak what finds its way into my GameData directory.  e.g. I often manually merge old/new settings files, substitute in alternate textures, etc.

I had the thought of creating my own local repo for these "special treatment" mods, so that could leave the bulk of management to CKAN while retaining my ability where needed to alter what CKAN ingests.

Is this a good approach, or have others found an easier / better method?

e.g. I was easily able to create a .ckan file for the new KER.  When I "Install from .ckan..." manually, it works great.  Next I put it in a local tar.gz file trying to emulate the tree structure of CKAN-meta-master.tar.gz.  I added "Fwiffo | file://F/blahblah/Mods for 1.1.x/CKAN-meta-fwiffo.tar.gz" as a repository.  But that didn't do anything.

Is it possible to set up a local repository like this or do I need to host somewhere on an http server?

Or would I be better served by forking the entire master repo?  I'm still pretty new at GitHub - some of the personalizations I want to make wouldn't be suitable for submission into the master repo anyway, and I don't want to go sending unintentional noise to the maintainers.

Also is there a way to show / filter by Repo in the CKAN list?

Appreciate any advice!

I'm afraid I don't have answers for a lot of what you're asking, but I'll answer what I can.

We are making KSP1.1 mods available in CKAN as soon as they are released, or we are made aware of their status change for those that don't pick up KSP version from the information available for scraping. KER is a difficult case. CKAN mod curation rules are that we do not list pre-release versions of mods, on the assumption that if a mod author is not willing to call it a release, it's probably going to cause problems, and CKAN's purpose is to present its users with a working KSP install, to the best we can do with the information we have available. CYBUTEK is perhaps on the conservative side when it comes to releases, and we honour his intentions. It's not a release, only a pre-release, so CKAN won't list it.

If you wish to run experimental versions of mods, CKAN as we present it is not the tool to do that.

That said, we are very happy for anyone who wishes to create a repository with a different set of curation rules, and will happily add it to the list of available repositories. I don't know what exactly is involved in setting up such a repository, but if you wish to do that (either publicly available, or private), asking questions in our IRC channel would be the way to go.

For myself, I am certainly happy to provide advice and assistance on specific metadata tweaking, and if you were to create a public repo of experimental mod versions, would most likely be willing to assist in maintaining such.

Edited by politas

@politas Thanks.  I managed to get a private repository going.  Quick metadata question, is there any way to mark a conflict with a mod in a different repository?  (I want to mark my "prerelease" version of "KerbalEngineerRedux-dev" as conflicting with the official KerbalEngineerRedux. Existing "conflicts" metadata doesn't work though because the latter is outside my repo.

1 minute ago, Fwiffo said:

@politas Thanks.  I managed to get a private repository going.  Quick metadata question, is there any way to mark a conflict with a mod in a different repository?  (I want to mark my "prerelease" version of "KerbalEngineerRedux-dev" as conflicting with the official KerbalEngineerRedux. Existing "conflicts" metadata doesn't work though because the latter is outside my repo.

As far as your CKAN client is concerned, it has its own metadata set that is a combination of all repositories you have selected (at least, that's my understanding), so a conflict just to  "KerbalEngineerRedux" ought to work.

45 minutes ago, politas said:

so a conflict just to  "KerbalEngineerRedux" ought to work

That's what I thought too, until I tried it and it didn't.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Here's my .ckan file: http://tinyurl.com/FwiffoKER1101

It includes:

"conflicts" : [
        { "name" : "KerbalEngineerRedux" },
        { "name" : "ImaginaryMod1" },
    ],

Here's my private repository: http://tinyurl.com/fwifforepo1

It includes ImaginaryMod1 but not KerbalEngineerRedux.  CKAN shows the the former conflict, but not the latter:

FHWGas5.png

That's what made me think they're silo'd.  On another note, I'm not sure CKAN is updating it's Conflicts display above properly when I make changes to the repo and hit Refresh.  e.g. If I now go and add a new conflict, I think I have to delete registry.json to get it to show the new metadata.

ps. Tried the IRC channel but nobody was home.

Edited by Fwiffo
irc note

1 hour ago, Fwiffo said:

ps. Tried the IRC channel but nobody was home.

As a heads-up to anyone wishing to ask questions on the #ckan IRC channel, you are unlikely to get a response within 5 minutes. The channel subject says "Be patient in waiting for responses" for a reason. I think the web client might be a bit slow to update, too, so even if you do get an instantaneous response, you may not see it for a little while.

Edited by politas

Does somebody need to kick the server? I've released 4 updates over the weekend for three mods, an CKAN isn't offering me any of them (No meta data either).

Specifically:
ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation
ContractConfigurator-KFiles
ContractConfigurator-CleverSats

It looks like the last meta data anywhere was generated 2 days ago (according to Github anyway)

Yours aren't the only updates not populating to CKAN.

AVC, SpaceY Heavy Lifters have also been updated but not showing up with new versions in CKAN.  There are probably more.

Hope this gets straightened out before the official 1.1 KSP release or it's back to manual updating of MODS again.

WildBill

Would it be possible to create a flag you can check to 'bookmark' a mod without installing it? I keep on running across interesting mods which I might want to try later but there's no way to remember in the program. My stopgap solution is simply to make a list in a text document but it would be nice if there were a bookmark feature of some kind :)

-A humble user

54 minutes ago, Varses said:

Would it be possible to create a flag you can check to 'bookmark' a mod without installing it? I keep on running across interesting mods which I might want to try later but there's no way to remember in the program. My stopgap solution is simply to make a list in a text document but it would be nice if there were a bookmark feature of some kind :)

-A humble user

Why not just follow that mod?  You can see the mods you follow, and that works for me right now